Trailer Considerations

  • pseudodion42
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 30 3:20 PM
      Hi, all. The crocuses are blooming and backyard boatbuilding in the
      North is on the horizon. My friend and I are going to build two boats
      this summer. He has chosen Mike Roberts' Green Island 15 design from
      headlandboats.com. I have decided to build the Dobler 16 (mentioned
      in T.F. Jones' "Low Resistance Boats." I will be using the Lateen rig
      from my Featherwind "Inscrutable" until I either get rich enough to
      by a spritsail or get motivated enough to sew my own (it aint gonna
      happen!). Since the Dobler will weigh a little over 200lbs, I will
      need to get a trailer to haul it around. Consequently, I am looking
      for advice from the group regarding information in choosing a trailer.

      The Dobler is 16'4" x 5'2" and has a narrow flat bottom. Does the
      trailer need to be as long as the boat? Rollers or bunks? What is the
      difference in recovering on either? Galvanized or painted? Is
      galvanized more expensive? I may decide to haul it to one of the
      coasts one day to do some salt water sailing. I guess if that ever
      happens, galvanized would be a necessity. I'd appreciate all comments
      and insights.

      Thanks,

      Dennis Marshall -- Grand Rapids, MI
    • dnjost
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 30 6:14 PM
        I believe that galvanized trailers are worth their price. My current
        trailer for my Pointy Skiff (yes, I know it can go on the roof) and
        Diablo is an 18 year old load rite trailer. It is as good as new,
        although it is now on its 4th set of wheel bearings. the frame is
        solid.

        Diablo sticks off the end of this one about 1 foot. It is not a
        problem with the 10hp motor, however if the motor were heavier, I
        would want some support under the transom and the motor supported.

        David Jost
        "lamenting the loss of a great day of building to cleaning the
        house."

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 30 6:16 PM
          Dennis,
          I forgot to mention that this current galvanized trailer is used
          in saltwater 90% of the time.

          David Jost
        • proaconstrictor
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 30 6:58 PM
            --- In bolger@y..., "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
            > Dennis,
            > I forgot to mention that this current galvanized trailer is used
            > in saltwater 90% of the time.
            >
            > David Jost

            I supose that would be a factor, but plain painted trailers just rust
            away from day one, jind of depresing. I use galvi just to deal with
            the road salt alone.
          • boatbuilding@goldencoast.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 31 7:40 AM
              --- In bolger@y..., "dnjost" <djost@m...>
              > wrote:
              > > Dennis,
              > >    I forgot to mention that this current
              > galvanized trailer is used > in saltwater 90% of the
              > time.
              > >
              > > David Jost

              If you build your own, build it out of channel steel. No place
              then for the water to stay trapped. If you buying the axles,
              you can go with galvanized springs and fittings.

              Rinse the trailer after use. The box steel has a habit of
              getting water inside where it can't drain out, hence a lot of
              rust of time. Channel steel works fine without galvanizing as
              long as your willing to maintain it occasinally.

              That is for fresh water normally, with an occasional salt water
              dip.

              Jeff
            • Harry W. James
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 31 6:11 PM
                Harbor freight has a boat trailer also for $300.

                http://www.harborfreight.com Item 5002-0VGA

                This is for boats up to 14' and 600#. I wouldn't hesitate to extend the
                tongue for a 16' the weight wasn't exceeded.

                HJ