Old Trailer

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 38 , Mar 29, 2002
      I was given an old utility trailer. It's a little higher
      than ideal for a boat, but not so high as the top of the car.
      It's way too short. As is, the aft 7 ' of the 16' boat will
      hang out in the wind.

      The tongue is round tube instead of square and only one foot
      beyond the triangle, so just u-bolting on a longer beam or
      slipping a round one over the end w/ bolts through all are
      out. Called a trailer guy- he wants $100 for a welding. Add
      lights and a tire, it is definitely not smart to get too
      deep into this old thing.

      To use as is, I think the boat could be tied down firmly and
      not become a hazard. I tried to check the rules at the
      Oregon Dept. of Transportation for how much overhang's
      allowed, without success. Will I spoil my vacation doing
      this? Any other comments, please?

      Thanks,
      Mark
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 9, 2002
        Thanks for this, Chuck.

        I expected a four wire, flat harness that went front to back ( hey, let's make our first
        million again ), but this'll work, especially your alternative scheme.

        Mark