Gypsy

  • prthober
    Message 1 of 45 , Mar 29, 2002
      Hello fellow Bolgerphiles.

      I recently moved to Portland, ME and am about to realize my long-held
      dream of building and sailing my own boat. I have owned a set of
      plans for Gypsy for about ten years and have always been able to come
      up with an excuse for not building one. Now is the time for action. I
      come seeking advice and opinions.

      Is this the right boat? I want to use it to sail/row in Casco Bay
      (inside the islands) and also cartop it to lakes here in Maine. Two
      adults maximum. Maybe camp with it on the lakes, carrying the
      equivelant of backpacking gear.

      I plan to build it without modification of ACX, lumberyard #2 pine,
      and epoxy. I am not going to make it a yacht - just sound and
      durable. I am an experienced furniture designer and builder. I am
      unemployed and will work full time (or more) to construct it. Should
      I be able to complete it in a month?

      Is this a practical boat for cartopping? Anyone have an accurate
      weight for this boat?

      Would decking it fore and aft be advisable or just add weight without
      any benefit?

      I have some misgivings of the daggerboard. Is grounding likely to
      damage the trunk? If so is there simple prevention other than being
      careful where I sail?

      Paul Thober
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 45 of 45 , Mar 23, 2010
        It's only that I'm obsessed with that boat!

        On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:16 AM, graeme19121984 <graeme19121984@...> wrote:

        who00Owee, Mark your eyes are good! I'm a bit uncertain, could be... How's your nose?