Re: Oops, I did it again

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 28, 2002
      Mike,

      That is food for thought. But, I think it has more to do with life
      style than anything as practical as thinking about dollars and
      cents.
      If you get the adrenaline pumping rounding marks and screaming
      downwind on deep draft fin keeled boats, go for it! If you and your
      family need 4 bunks, a private head, and you don't have time to build
      your own, have a blast buying what you feel fits your needs.

      My current needs indicate that Micro is best for me an mine at the
      present time.

      Micro gives me peace of mind after a long day at work. Planing wood
      and making the shavings fly is a good stress reducer.

      Micro will allow me to launch and retrieve with relative ease.
      Hurricane season is no worry to me now. Arc welding a trailer is
      theraputic.

      Micro will allow my kids to climb out and explore the mud flats, and
      beaches at a whim.

      Micro will sleep two kids and one dad (sleeping bag on deck under the
      tent. Porta potti hidden discreetly).

      Micro will allow adventures to other ports for overnights, when a
      good weather window presents itself.

      I am not foolish enough to even think about keeping up with a J24 to
      windward and getting from Harwich to Nantucket in under 3 hours.
      Micro will take at least 6 hours. However, when I am there, I can
      nestle up to a sandbar, or pick a remote location to anchor and
      perhaps even walk to town on my own. Freedom from the dinghy, and
      from the launch can make a stay in a crowded port more enjoyable. (4
      kts. 20 miles, and lots of tacking). Micro will not host a party of
      6 with hors deovres, and comfort; it will host a party of 2, a jug
      of wine, a loaf of bread, a wedge of brie...

      Time to stop.... It is a good day to continue to fair the hull!

      See you on the water (I will be on the boat with the kids splashing
      in the water around it, and the man with the silly grin on his face
      in the middle of all of it.

      David Jost
      "waiting for the bell to ring"

      > Maybe they just want to go sailing without spending large amounts
      of
      > their irreplacable free time building a boat with no resale value.
      >
      > Mike

      -0296