Re: Micro Keel fasteners

  • dnjost
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1 10:39 AM
      Right, How could I forget Peter's well built Micro. The deadwood
      idea is best. I have encapsulated my Micros keel bottom with 2
      layers or cloth tape set in epoxy and coated the whole mess with a
      layer of 60 oz cloth. May the marine critters try to eat that mess.

      david jost

      > If you use your first option,you might also want to simply go
      > with solid deadwood fore and aft thereby doing away with the nasty
      > business of attaching the plywood panels which later may begin to
      rot
      > when their bottom edges become gouged by bottom contact thus
      exposing
      > the bare edge.
      > I have the paper pattern for my keel shape(lead ballast only)
      > that I would be willing to"lend" to any other MICRO builder wishing
      > go a more traditional route with the MICRO keel.
      > Keel assembly can be seen over on DUCKWORKS MAGAZINE under the
      > articles section(archives)..........
      > Continued success with FIREFLY!!!
      > Peter Lenihan
      >

      > --- In bolger@y..., "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
      > > If I were to do this again. Trust me, the answer is no. I would
      > do
      > > one of two things.
      > >
      > > 1. cast my keel with bronze keel bolts imbedded. That would
      hold
      > > the sucker in place while I could take all the time I wanted to
      get
      > > each side to be glued and nailed in place.

    • watsongs
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 2 7:28 PM
        Hey folks -

        I just took delivery of a partially completed micro hull, and the
        task of the keel looms large in my future. Everyone talks about
        epoxy, but 3M 5200 sticks to my tools better than anything else. Any
        thoughts on the idea? Longer working time, probably a third of the
        cost, and no worries about cracking if you anchor the wrong way (by
        the keel). I'm planning to use my car jack to get it in, any caveats
        on that method?

        Also, any ideas on cheap trailers?

        Greg
      • Chuck Leinweber
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2 10:11 PM
          Gregg:

          I'm with you: 3M 5200 sticks to anything and everything. Frankly I'm not too impressed with the way boat building epoxy sticks to metal.

          Chuck
          Hey folks -

          I just took delivery of a partially completed micro hull, and the
          task of the keel looms large in my future. Everyone talks about
          epoxy, but 3M 5200 sticks to my tools better than anything else. Any
          thoughts on the idea? Longer working time, probably a third of the
          cost, and no worries about cracking if you anchor the wrong way (by
          the keel). I'm planning to use my car jack to get it in, any caveats
          on that method?

          Also, any ideas on cheap trailers?

          Greg

          Bolger rules!!!