Re: Otter photo

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
      How embarrassing for me! I should have checked. Sorry. - PHV

    • wmrpage@aol.com
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
        dromasco@... writes:

        > I recall Otter as having a spar that raked
        > backward from the bow to the tip of the after (main? mizzen?) mast,
        > rather than being raked forward. I, too, wondered how well it worked.

        Bolger's "100 Small Boat Rigs", design 67 "Aft-Raking Foremast", speaks well
        of this concept. Credit for the concept is given to Uffa Fox. Per Bolger, Fox
        invented this in 1933 as a successful rule-beater for sailing canoe
        competition. The rule-makers intended to restrict rigs to cat ketches, but
        didn't quite come right out and say it. Fox essentially created a sloop,
        with the luff of the jib supported by the fore-mast instead of a tensioned
        luff. Bolger said that Fox took just about every trophy on offer that season.
        The rules were subsequently changed to permit sloop rigs with standing
        rigging. Bolger says that this killed the concept as a racing rig, as the
        smoother air flow over the thin wire luff gave the stayed rigs an insuperable
        advantage in that context. In a non-racing context, I'd think that the
        virtues of not needing standing rigging and big jib luff tensions would make
        this an attractive idea.

        Design #66 is the Chesapeake Bay "stick-up" rig. Bolger doesn't think it has
        any notable virtues.

        Ciao for Niao,
        Bill in MN