Re: [bolger] Re: Micro Keel fasteners

  • Jeff Blunck
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2002
      Older anti-freeze was alcohol based! Like wood grain alcohol, not very compatible with the body.

      I'm not sure when glycerin base showed up but there was a slow change over as the early glycerin based anti-freeze would not cool well and get thick in extreme cold. I would bet they where talking about the alcohol based stuff.

      Either way, it'll kill you.

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2002
        Right, How could I forget Peter's well built Micro. The deadwood
        idea is best. I have encapsulated my Micros keel bottom with 2
        layers or cloth tape set in epoxy and coated the whole mess with a
        layer of 60 oz cloth. May the marine critters try to eat that mess.

        david jost

        > If you use your first option,you might also want to simply go
        > with solid deadwood fore and aft thereby doing away with the nasty
        > business of attaching the plywood panels which later may begin to
        rot
        > when their bottom edges become gouged by bottom contact thus
        exposing
        > the bare edge.
        > I have the paper pattern for my keel shape(lead ballast only)
        > that I would be willing to"lend" to any other MICRO builder wishing
        > go a more traditional route with the MICRO keel.
        > Keel assembly can be seen over on DUCKWORKS MAGAZINE under the
        > articles section(archives)..........
        > Continued success with FIREFLY!!!
        > Peter Lenihan
        >

        > --- In bolger@y..., "dnjost" <djost@m...> wrote:
        > > If I were to do this again. Trust me, the answer is no. I would
        > do
        > > one of two things.
        > >
        > > 1. cast my keel with bronze keel bolts imbedded. That would
        hold
        > > the sucker in place while I could take all the time I wanted to
        get
        > > each side to be glued and nailed in place.

      • watsongs
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2, 2002
          Hey folks -

          I just took delivery of a partially completed micro hull, and the
          task of the keel looms large in my future. Everyone talks about
          epoxy, but 3M 5200 sticks to my tools better than anything else. Any
          thoughts on the idea? Longer working time, probably a third of the
          cost, and no worries about cracking if you anchor the wrong way (by
          the keel). I'm planning to use my car jack to get it in, any caveats
          on that method?

          Also, any ideas on cheap trailers?

          Greg
        • Chuck Leinweber
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2, 2002
            Gregg:

            I'm with you: 3M 5200 sticks to anything and everything. Frankly I'm not too impressed with the way boat building epoxy sticks to metal.

            Chuck
            Hey folks -

            I just took delivery of a partially completed micro hull, and the
            task of the keel looms large in my future. Everyone talks about
            epoxy, but 3M 5200 sticks to my tools better than anything else. Any
            thoughts on the idea? Longer working time, probably a third of the
            cost, and no worries about cracking if you anchor the wrong way (by
            the keel). I'm planning to use my car jack to get it in, any caveats
            on that method?

            Also, any ideas on cheap trailers?

            Greg

            Bolger rules!!!