RE: [bolger] Re: Otter photo

  • David Romasco
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
      I may be off base, but I recall Otter as having a spar that raked
      backward from the bow to the tip of the after (main? mizzen?) mast,
      rather than being raked forward. I, too, wondered how well it worked.

      David Romasco

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
        The Otter foremast and the stick up rig in Chapelle are raked in
        opposite directions.
        --- In bolger@y..., "roue20ca" <amoore@h...> wrote:
        > There was a article in WB about this kind of rig. I'll see if I can
        > dig it up and let you know which issue.
        >
        > Andy Moore
        > Nova Scotia
        > Canada
        >
        > --- In bolger@y..., "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...> wrote:
        > > > The only innovation being
        > > > the sharp rake of the foremast, which is intended to get
        > > > some of the weight out of the bow.
        > >
        > > The forward-raking sail is shown in some of Chapelle's books. It
        was
        > > used in Chesapeake bay craft in the 19th century. See "American
        > Small
        > > Sailing Craft," page 301 for a drawing. It was called "stick-up
        rig"
        > > (page 292).
        > >
        > > PHV
      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
          How embarrassing for me! I should have checked. Sorry. - PHV

        • wmrpage@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
            dromasco@... writes:

            > I recall Otter as having a spar that raked
            > backward from the bow to the tip of the after (main? mizzen?) mast,
            > rather than being raked forward. I, too, wondered how well it worked.

            Bolger's "100 Small Boat Rigs", design 67 "Aft-Raking Foremast", speaks well
            of this concept. Credit for the concept is given to Uffa Fox. Per Bolger, Fox
            invented this in 1933 as a successful rule-beater for sailing canoe
            competition. The rule-makers intended to restrict rigs to cat ketches, but
            didn't quite come right out and say it. Fox essentially created a sloop,
            with the luff of the jib supported by the fore-mast instead of a tensioned
            luff. Bolger said that Fox took just about every trophy on offer that season.
            The rules were subsequently changed to permit sloop rigs with standing
            rigging. Bolger says that this killed the concept as a racing rig, as the
            smoother air flow over the thin wire luff gave the stayed rigs an insuperable
            advantage in that context. In a non-racing context, I'd think that the
            virtues of not needing standing rigging and big jib luff tensions would make
            this an attractive idea.

            Design #66 is the Chesapeake Bay "stick-up" rig. Bolger doesn't think it has
            any notable virtues.

            Ciao for Niao,
            Bill in MN