Re: Otter photo

  • roue20ca
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
      There was a article in WB about this kind of rig. I'll see if I can
      dig it up and let you know which issue.

      Andy Moore
      Nova Scotia
      Canada

      --- In bolger@y..., "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...> wrote:
      > > The only innovation being
      > > the sharp rake of the foremast, which is intended to get
      > > some of the weight out of the bow.
      >
      > The forward-raking sail is shown in some of Chapelle's books. It was
      > used in Chesapeake bay craft in the 19th century. See "American
      Small
      > Sailing Craft," page 301 for a drawing. It was called "stick-up rig"
      > (page 292).
      >
      > PHV
    • David Romasco
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
        I may be off base, but I recall Otter as having a spar that raked
        backward from the bow to the tip of the after (main? mizzen?) mast,
        rather than being raked forward. I, too, wondered how well it worked.

        David Romasco

        There was a article in WB about this kind of rig. I'll see if I can
        dig it up and let you know which issue.

        Andy Moore
        Nova Scotia
        Canada

        --- In bolger@y..., "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...> wrote:
        > > The only innovation being
        > > the sharp rake of the foremast, which is intended to get
        > > some of the weight out of the bow.
        >
        > The forward-raking sail is shown in some of Chapelle's books. It was
        > used in Chesapeake bay craft in the 19th century. See "American
        Small
        > Sailing Craft," page 301 for a drawing. It was called "stick-up rig"
        > (page 292).
        >
        > PHV

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
        065791:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=101
        4995422%3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065791:HM/A
        =847665/R=1>

        <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egrou
        pmail/S=1705065791:HM/A=847665/rand=261715334>

        Bolger rules!!!
        01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

      • rnlocnil
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
          The Otter foremast and the stick up rig in Chapelle are raked in
          opposite directions.
          --- In bolger@y..., "roue20ca" <amoore@h...> wrote:
          > There was a article in WB about this kind of rig. I'll see if I can
          > dig it up and let you know which issue.
          >
          > Andy Moore
          > Nova Scotia
          > Canada
          >
          > --- In bolger@y..., "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...> wrote:
          > > > The only innovation being
          > > > the sharp rake of the foremast, which is intended to get
          > > > some of the weight out of the bow.
          > >
          > > The forward-raking sail is shown in some of Chapelle's books. It
          was
          > > used in Chesapeake bay craft in the 19th century. See "American
          > Small
          > > Sailing Craft," page 301 for a drawing. It was called "stick-up
          rig"
          > > (page 292).
          > >
          > > PHV
        • pvanderwaart
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
            How embarrassing for me! I should have checked. Sorry. - PHV

          • wmrpage@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
              dromasco@... writes:

              > I recall Otter as having a spar that raked
              > backward from the bow to the tip of the after (main? mizzen?) mast,
              > rather than being raked forward. I, too, wondered how well it worked.

              Bolger's "100 Small Boat Rigs", design 67 "Aft-Raking Foremast", speaks well
              of this concept. Credit for the concept is given to Uffa Fox. Per Bolger, Fox
              invented this in 1933 as a successful rule-beater for sailing canoe
              competition. The rule-makers intended to restrict rigs to cat ketches, but
              didn't quite come right out and say it. Fox essentially created a sloop,
              with the luff of the jib supported by the fore-mast instead of a tensioned
              luff. Bolger said that Fox took just about every trophy on offer that season.
              The rules were subsequently changed to permit sloop rigs with standing
              rigging. Bolger says that this killed the concept as a racing rig, as the
              smoother air flow over the thin wire luff gave the stayed rigs an insuperable
              advantage in that context. In a non-racing context, I'd think that the
              virtues of not needing standing rigging and big jib luff tensions would make
              this an attractive idea.

              Design #66 is the Chesapeake Bay "stick-up" rig. Bolger doesn't think it has
              any notable virtues.

              Ciao for Niao,
              Bill in MN