Re: Otter photo

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
      > The only innovation being
      > the sharp rake of the foremast, which is intended to get
      > some of the weight out of the bow.

      The forward-raking sail is shown in some of Chapelle's books. It was
      used in Chesapeake bay craft in the 19th century. See "American Small
      Sailing Craft," page 301 for a drawing. It was called "stick-up rig"
      (page 292).

      PHV
    • roue20ca
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
        There was a article in WB about this kind of rig. I'll see if I can
        dig it up and let you know which issue.

        Andy Moore
        Nova Scotia
        Canada

        --- In bolger@y..., "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...> wrote:
        > > The only innovation being
        > > the sharp rake of the foremast, which is intended to get
        > > some of the weight out of the bow.
        >
        > The forward-raking sail is shown in some of Chapelle's books. It was
        > used in Chesapeake bay craft in the 19th century. See "American
        Small
        > Sailing Craft," page 301 for a drawing. It was called "stick-up rig"
        > (page 292).
        >
        > PHV
      • David Romasco
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
          I may be off base, but I recall Otter as having a spar that raked
          backward from the bow to the tip of the after (main? mizzen?) mast,
          rather than being raked forward. I, too, wondered how well it worked.

          David Romasco

          There was a article in WB about this kind of rig. I'll see if I can
          dig it up and let you know which issue.

          Andy Moore
          Nova Scotia
          Canada

          --- In bolger@y..., "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...> wrote:
          > > The only innovation being
          > > the sharp rake of the foremast, which is intended to get
          > > some of the weight out of the bow.
          >
          > The forward-raking sail is shown in some of Chapelle's books. It was
          > used in Chesapeake bay craft in the 19th century. See "American
          Small
          > Sailing Craft," page 301 for a drawing. It was called "stick-up rig"
          > (page 292).
          >
          > PHV

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          065791:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=101
          4995422%3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065791:HM/A
          =847665/R=1>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=1705065791:HM/A=847665/rand=261715334>

          Bolger rules!!!
          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • rnlocnil
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
            The Otter foremast and the stick up rig in Chapelle are raked in
            opposite directions.
            --- In bolger@y..., "roue20ca" <amoore@h...> wrote:
            > There was a article in WB about this kind of rig. I'll see if I can
            > dig it up and let you know which issue.
            >
            > Andy Moore
            > Nova Scotia
            > Canada
            >
            > --- In bolger@y..., "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...> wrote:
            > > > The only innovation being
            > > > the sharp rake of the foremast, which is intended to get
            > > > some of the weight out of the bow.
            > >
            > > The forward-raking sail is shown in some of Chapelle's books. It
            was
            > > used in Chesapeake bay craft in the 19th century. See "American
            > Small
            > > Sailing Craft," page 301 for a drawing. It was called "stick-up
            rig"
            > > (page 292).
            > >
            > > PHV
          • pvanderwaart
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
              How embarrassing for me! I should have checked. Sorry. - PHV

            • wmrpage@aol.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
                dromasco@... writes:

                > I recall Otter as having a spar that raked
                > backward from the bow to the tip of the after (main? mizzen?) mast,
                > rather than being raked forward. I, too, wondered how well it worked.

                Bolger's "100 Small Boat Rigs", design 67 "Aft-Raking Foremast", speaks well
                of this concept. Credit for the concept is given to Uffa Fox. Per Bolger, Fox
                invented this in 1933 as a successful rule-beater for sailing canoe
                competition. The rule-makers intended to restrict rigs to cat ketches, but
                didn't quite come right out and say it. Fox essentially created a sloop,
                with the luff of the jib supported by the fore-mast instead of a tensioned
                luff. Bolger said that Fox took just about every trophy on offer that season.
                The rules were subsequently changed to permit sloop rigs with standing
                rigging. Bolger says that this killed the concept as a racing rig, as the
                smoother air flow over the thin wire luff gave the stayed rigs an insuperable
                advantage in that context. In a non-racing context, I'd think that the
                virtues of not needing standing rigging and big jib luff tensions would make
                this an attractive idea.

                Design #66 is the Chesapeake Bay "stick-up" rig. Bolger doesn't think it has
                any notable virtues.

                Ciao for Niao,
                Bill in MN