Re: Otter photo

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
      You can see in 'Small Boats'
      " It is nothing more or less than an old-fashioned
      cat-schooner with a jigger added, the only innovation being
      the sharp rake of the foremast, which is intended to get
      some of the weight out of the bow and, more important, to
      improve the aerodynamics of the mainsail."

      In the specs he calls it a cantilever rig.

      Having once cut out the frames and planking for the Otter II
      and set them up provisionally, I was eager to have a second
      look at the picture.

      It has to be the original design #231. The later model would
      look beamier, have a wider transom and, I think, be a little
      deeper. But the foremast's not in use that day.

      Playing around with the picture at different sizes, I swear
      I almost see a dark circle for the hole in the foredeck
      where it goes. There is a pole or two lashed to starboard.
      The drawn wooden spar has only a 2.5" maximum section and is
      15' 11".

      This is an interesting craft, an early effort to design a
      complex instant boat. Jim Huxford's might be #2. The
      original client lived on the north shore of Long Island. But
      he's the one to ask for more.

      Mark

      "Harry W. James" wrote:

      > Thanks for the pix. The reason that got interested in the
      > original
      > design was the fore mast, jigger mast, jib mast? that is
      > not on
      > Huxford's boat. I don't know if this is an adaptation of
      > an old idea,
      > but I have never seen one before. He just kind of casually
      > threw in
      > something I consider fairly radical, like he often does,
      > and I was
      > wondering how it worked, not with any burning desire to
      > build one.
      > Looking at a lot of his designs when he has ventured far
      > astray from
      > convention is like reading an unfinished thriller, you are
      > left
      > wondering how it all came out.
      >
      > HJ
      > brucehector wrote:
      > >
      > > I posted a photo of Jum Huxford's "Otter" to the photo
      > section of
      > > this group. It's now pic #19.
      > >
      > > Bruce Hector

    • pvanderwaart
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
        > The only innovation being
        > the sharp rake of the foremast, which is intended to get
        > some of the weight out of the bow.

        The forward-raking sail is shown in some of Chapelle's books. It was
        used in Chesapeake bay craft in the 19th century. See "American Small
        Sailing Craft," page 301 for a drawing. It was called "stick-up rig"
        (page 292).

        PHV
      • roue20ca
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
          There was a article in WB about this kind of rig. I'll see if I can
          dig it up and let you know which issue.

          Andy Moore
          Nova Scotia
          Canada

          --- In bolger@y..., "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...> wrote:
          > > The only innovation being
          > > the sharp rake of the foremast, which is intended to get
          > > some of the weight out of the bow.
          >
          > The forward-raking sail is shown in some of Chapelle's books. It was
          > used in Chesapeake bay craft in the 19th century. See "American
          Small
          > Sailing Craft," page 301 for a drawing. It was called "stick-up rig"
          > (page 292).
          >
          > PHV
        • David Romasco
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
            I may be off base, but I recall Otter as having a spar that raked
            backward from the bow to the tip of the after (main? mizzen?) mast,
            rather than being raked forward. I, too, wondered how well it worked.

            David Romasco

            There was a article in WB about this kind of rig. I'll see if I can
            dig it up and let you know which issue.

            Andy Moore
            Nova Scotia
            Canada

            --- In bolger@y..., "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...> wrote:
            > > The only innovation being
            > > the sharp rake of the foremast, which is intended to get
            > > some of the weight out of the bow.
            >
            > The forward-raking sail is shown in some of Chapelle's books. It was
            > used in Chesapeake bay craft in the 19th century. See "American
            Small
            > Sailing Craft," page 301 for a drawing. It was called "stick-up rig"
            > (page 292).
            >
            > PHV

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
            065791:HM/A=847665/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vbW9uc3RlcjcuZGF0=101
            4995422%3eM=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705065791:HM/A
            =847665/R=1>

            <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=215002.1818248.3328688.1261774/D=egrou
            pmail/S=1705065791:HM/A=847665/rand=261715334>

            Bolger rules!!!
            01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

            <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          • rnlocnil
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
              The Otter foremast and the stick up rig in Chapelle are raked in
              opposite directions.
              --- In bolger@y..., "roue20ca" <amoore@h...> wrote:
              > There was a article in WB about this kind of rig. I'll see if I can
              > dig it up and let you know which issue.
              >
              > Andy Moore
              > Nova Scotia
              > Canada
              >
              > --- In bolger@y..., "pvanderwaart" <pvanderwaart@y...> wrote:
              > > > The only innovation being
              > > > the sharp rake of the foremast, which is intended to get
              > > > some of the weight out of the bow.
              > >
              > > The forward-raking sail is shown in some of Chapelle's books. It
              was
              > > used in Chesapeake bay craft in the 19th century. See "American
              > Small
              > > Sailing Craft," page 301 for a drawing. It was called "stick-up
              rig"
              > > (page 292).
              > >
              > > PHV
            • pvanderwaart
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 1, 2002
                How embarrassing for me! I should have checked. Sorry. - PHV

              • wmrpage@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4, 2002
                  dromasco@... writes:

                  > I recall Otter as having a spar that raked
                  > backward from the bow to the tip of the after (main? mizzen?) mast,
                  > rather than being raked forward. I, too, wondered how well it worked.

                  Bolger's "100 Small Boat Rigs", design 67 "Aft-Raking Foremast", speaks well
                  of this concept. Credit for the concept is given to Uffa Fox. Per Bolger, Fox
                  invented this in 1933 as a successful rule-beater for sailing canoe
                  competition. The rule-makers intended to restrict rigs to cat ketches, but
                  didn't quite come right out and say it. Fox essentially created a sloop,
                  with the luff of the jib supported by the fore-mast instead of a tensioned
                  luff. Bolger said that Fox took just about every trophy on offer that season.
                  The rules were subsequently changed to permit sloop rigs with standing
                  rigging. Bolger says that this killed the concept as a racing rig, as the
                  smoother air flow over the thin wire luff gave the stayed rigs an insuperable
                  advantage in that context. In a non-racing context, I'd think that the
                  virtues of not needing standing rigging and big jib luff tensions would make
                  this an attractive idea.

                  Design #66 is the Chesapeake Bay "stick-up" rig. Bolger doesn't think it has
                  any notable virtues.

                  Ciao for Niao,
                  Bill in MN