Re: Motorsailing Cargo Boat

  • porcupinefysh
    Message 1 of 19 , Feb 27, 2002
      Just as a point of reference, my own favorite cargo vessel is George
      Buehler's Archimedes, a 43' schooner. It doesn't have much of a hold
      as drawn, but you could reduce the accommodations some and get more
      room for cargo. Come to think of it, you could probably take just
      about any heavy displacement vessel and carve out a cargo hold in the
      middle of the hull.

      Buehler's boats have a certain charm and look easy to build. Having
      grown up on the (shoal) south shore of Long Island, NY, however, I
      find his deep keels kind of scary. Archemedes has a draft of six feet,
      about average for a Buehler boat of this size. Bolger would no doubt
      find this impractical and scandalous,

      porky

      --- In bolger@y..., "thomwun" <thomwun@s...> wrote:
      > It is design #610 and the fee to build one boat was $250.
      >
      > Thomas
    • cluttonfred
      Message 2 of 19 , Feb 19, 2014
        Is Tom Wunderlin still active in this group?  Does anyone know about his or Scott Leiser's projects to built Bolger's Motorsailing Cargo Boat (#610)?  Cheers, Matthew

        ---In bolger@yahoogroups.com, <thomwun@...> wrote:

        I started building this boat last December. I have been in contact
        with Scott Leiser several times. His boat is about 80 % finished.

        Scott built upside down, I am building right side up.

        It goes together nicely, the rough hull should be done in 4 to 6
        weeks.

        Greetings

        Thomas Wunderlin

        On the shores of Great Slave Lake, Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
      • phil.bolger
        Message 3 of 19 , Feb 19, 2014
          Hello Matthew,
          no word in ages from Wunderlin.

          On Scott’s boat, I heard from a third party that she had been finished and is maintained to a very high standard.
          I talked with Scott about photos of his boat under sail, but to no avail yet.
          I did notice a for sale note in her, apparently due to life circumstances changing.

          Good to hear from you.  That calendar was very nice...
          Susanne

          Message 4 of 19 , Feb 19, 2014
            Hello Matthew,
            no word in ages from Wunderlin.

            On Scott’s boat, I heard from a third party that she had been finished and is maintained to a very high standard under a fair bit of regular use.

            Message 5 of 19 , Feb 19, 2014
              Thanks, Susanne, and great to hear from you, too.  Not much boating here in Nairobi, I'm afraid, but I still take out my various plans from time to time (especially Micro, Zephyr and Tennessee) to daydream about future projects in future, more boat-friendly postings.  I did find this brief thread in the group from 2008, but I can't seem to find the Bolger study plans only repository anymore.  Perhaps someone has that issue of Woodenboat and could scan the image and caption?  All the best, Matthew

              Mystery Motorsailer
              (2) Reply ViewNextPrevious
              Jack&Lois
              Message 1 of 2 , Jan 20, 2008Expand MessagesExpand Messages
              In the Launchings section of WoodenBoat #183, April 2005, a 30' 6" Bolger
              motorsailer built by Scott and Clovis Leiser is featured. Other than Stephen
              B., the name the Leisers gave their boat, there is no mention of a design
              name. I assume Bolger designed the boat specifically for them. Does anyone
              know of any follow up to this launching or of pictures of the boat under
              way? Since I've become smitten by Fast Motorsailer my eye is automatically
              drawn to that unique hull form. This boat is obviously a direct FMS
              descendant. If no one on this list knows anything about it I'll ask PCB&F
              about it in my next letter to them. I post my question here first because I
              suspect Phil and Suzanne roll their eyes at my chronic distractions.
              jeb, in Micro reconstruction mode, on the frosty shores of Fundy

              adventures_in_astrophotography
              Message 2 of 2 , Jan 21, 2008
              Hi Jeb,
              That's the Alaska Cargo Boat, which appears in a couple of places in
              the files sections of the various Bolger Yahoo groups. It's the
              first file in the bolger_study_plans_only group, and there's a copy
              of the Launchings photo in there as well.
              One big difference between this hull and FMS is that it's a
              displacement hull and not meant to get up and plane like FMS can.
              Jon Kolb