Re: [bolger] Re: Epoxy Finish

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 27, 2002
      Scraping epoxy works great. A little heat will soften the resin too. To make a scraper, get any piece of tempered steel about a sixteenth of an inch thick or a bit less, then sharpen it by grinding or filing it FLAT along the edge (in other words at 90 degrees to the face, not at a sharp angle) Scrape by drawing the tool at about 5 or 10 degrees past vertical. Keep the scraper sharp. You can shape the scraper to match the job - curved for fillets, flat for broad surfaces.

      Chuck
      I have played with this a little by using a blade from a plane. Seems
      to work ok, and gives good results even when the epoxy is still just a
      bit soft and would clog sandpaper. I may have to check out the
      article, tho generally I have a bad reaction to WB, as the telecom
      company I used to work for didn't make us all rich.