bird repellents

  • Seabird Aviation Australia Pty Ltd
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2002
      Has any one in the group had some experience with commercially available bird (feathered variety) repellents.

      My MJ has become a floating residence for a flock of Swallows.

      Peter Adams

    • dr01allen
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 26, 2002
        --- In bolger@y..., "Seabird Aviation Australia Pty Ltd"
        <seabird@a...> wrote:
        > Has any one in the group had some experience with commercially
        available bird (feathered variety) repellents.

        the farmers around here are using black plastic bags (about the size
        of grocery bags) hung from posts as scarecrows. supposedly, they look
        like avain predators. maybe hanging one or two from a mast might work
        also.

        da
      • roue20ca
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2002
          We launched our boat, a Pearson 26 one year and did not get the mast
          in for almost a month, the boat was covered in bird droppings. We
          normally had no problem with this because of the mast and its banging
          halyards; my suggestion put something up the mast that makes alot of
          noice might be able to loosen the halyard so it bangs more.

          Andy Moore
          Nova Scotia
          Canada

          <seabird@a...> wrote:
          > Has any one in the group had some experience with commercially
          available bird (feathered variety) repellents.

          > My MJ has become a floating residence for a flock of Swallows.
          >
          > Peter Adams

        • brucehector
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 27, 2002
            A rubber snake or two left on the deck is said to help. I've seen
            plastic decoy owls used. I've sillouettes of hawks made from black
            sign tape use on windows to stop birds from hitting the glass, might
            work on the sides of a boat and could look cool too.

            I haven't tried this, but I read that black thread strung around
            works.

            But I'm pretty sure the ultimate is the old traditional ship'd cat.

            Bruce Hector
            www.brucesboats.com