[bolger] Tennessee

  • Chuck Leinweber
    Message 1 of 30 , Jan 16, 2000
      Jerry Van Dyke sent me some new photo's of his Tennessee:

      He is building from the Duck Flat version.  Here is a case of one designer "improving" on another.  Phil Bolger did the original design years ago.  A number were built to those plans, including mine:

      It was only a matter of time before someone had to have standing headroom, and the taller version was born.  Quite a few of these have been built in Oz, as Tim will attest, and has documented:

      In this case, the people at Duck Flat give PCB credit for the design even thought it has been considerably altered:

      I thought the original was a great camp cruiser as designed.  It was quite efficient and practically immune to rough water in spite of its light scantlings.  I do hear good reports, however, about the Australian version.  It will be interesting to hear Jerry's performance reports.

      Chuck Leinweber
      Duckworks Magazine
      http://www.hilconet.com/~dworksmg

    • E. W. Williams Jr.
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 23, 2000
        I'd like a low-power cruiser of the sort Tennessee and Idaho promise; but
        would like to know if anyone out there has cruising experience on a
        Tennessee or Idaho?

        - Do they really cruise adequately on as small as a 10 hp?
        - Possible enclosing a bit more of the Idaho - maybe a Tennesse type cabin
        forward of the already enclosed area - without adding too much weight?
        - Would the step sharpie (Hawkeye, for example) be a better choice?

        - Bolger recommends 10+hp for the Tenn. and Idaho but 17+ for the hawkeye.
        Does the latter need that much more power, or is it just assumed that the
        owner will want to go faster in a boat like hawkeye?

        I've built a half-dozen Bolger sailboats from Brick to AS-19 and in between
        but have never done anything with power boats - so I lack any kind of
        practical experience in judging designs. (I'm getting old and am looking
        for an easier time of it out on the water.)

        Thanks.

        Edgar Williams
      • Chuck Leinweber
        Message 3 of 30 , Dec 23, 2000
          Edgar:

          I guess I have about as much experience Cruising in a Tennessee as anyone on
          this list. We took ours on trips that amounted to several hundred miles.
          One was a trip from Port O'Connor to Port Isabel Texas and back. This
          article talks about that trip, but not much about the boat:

          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/articles/icw/index.htm

          Here is a story about a trip to Lake Amistead. At the end there are some
          comments about the boat by my wife:

          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/articles/cruising/index.htm

          As long as we are at it, here is the story of building Tennessee:

          http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/articles/building/index.htm

          Yes they really do cruise adequately on a 10 hp motor. My understanding is
          that the Idaho will handle a bit more power, and is capable of planing. If
          you will be cruising on flat water, that might be a consideration. I think
          that the string point of the Tennessee is its ability to take chop. I have
          had her in 3 and 4 ft waves with no particular concern, and little pounding.
          She is long enough to span right across the tops of the waves.

          A step sharpie like the Hawkeye would be a potentially faster boat, but
          would be a lot more complicated to build and would need a bigger motor
          because of her ability to plane. That said, there have been times, on our
          Tennessee, when I would have liked to move a little faster than 10-12 mph.

          I sold my Tennessee and am now building a sailing cruiser of similar size
          (not quite as long). Am I regressing?

          Chuck Leinweber

          > I'd like a low-power cruiser of the sort Tennessee and Idaho promise; but
          > would like to know if anyone out there has cruising experience on a
          > Tennessee or Idaho?
          >
          > - Do they really cruise adequately on as small as a 10 hp?
          > - Possible enclosing a bit more of the Idaho - maybe a Tennesse type cabin
          > forward of the already enclosed area - without adding too much weight?
          > - Would the step sharpie (Hawkeye, for example) be a better choice?
          >
          > - Bolger recommends 10+hp for the Tenn. and Idaho but 17+ for the hawkeye.
          > Does the latter need that much more power, or is it just assumed that the
          > owner will want to go faster in a boat like hawkeye?
          >
          > I've built a half-dozen Bolger sailboats from Brick to AS-19 and in
          between
          > but have never done anything with power boats - so I lack any kind of
          > practical experience in judging designs. (I'm getting old and am looking
          > for an easier time of it out on the water.)
          >
          > Thanks.
          >
          > Edgar Williams

          > - no flogging dead horses
          > - stay on topic and punctuate

        • E. W. Williams Jr.
          Message 4 of 30 , Dec 23, 2000
            Chuck:

            Thanks for the Tennessee info. Speed is not what I'm after, so it looks
            like I should stick with the Tennessee idea.

            - Did you install the "pipe" births as in the plan?

            What sail-cruiser are you working on?

            Again, thanks.

            Edgar
          • Chuck Leinweber
            Message 5 of 30 , Dec 23, 2000
              Edgar:

              I was not clever or patient enough to do the pipe berths. I built a quick
              and dirty plywood platform for sleeping.

              I am now working on Jim Michalak's Caprice.

              The Tennessee is really an outstanding boat. I can't imagine how you could
              get more space and capability out of less material and labor. The only down
              side is the long trailering length. You have to plan getting around, and
              filling up with gas can be tricky. We learned to park where the eighteen
              wheelers do.

              Chuck

            • jeff@goldencoast.com
              Message 6 of 30 , May 21 9:30 AM
                Started the Tennessee last weekend. Got the bulkheads built and half
                of one side butt spliced together on Sunday, and then the weather
                hit.

                If your from the mountain regions you'll understand but the temp went
                from 74 degrees to 36 degrees in less than 30 minutes, then the wind
                picked up and turned into a blizzard. I don't live in the mountains
                but close enough to get the weather. Three inches of snow on the
                ground in Denver over night.

                Luckily I was doing this in the garage but it sure got cold fast.
                Does anyone know if that will effect the strength of the epoxy as it
                cured? It didn't freeze but I hope a 40 degree change in temp
                didn't "shock" the cured strength.

                Jeff
              • richard@spellingbusiness.com
                Message 7 of 30 , May 21 9:52 AM
                  I occasionaly store epoxy in the deep freeze when I want to stretch
                  the cure time. Get called away, etc.

                  Never seemed to bother it.

                  --- In bolger@y..., jeff@g... wrote:
                  > Started the Tennessee last weekend. Got the bulkheads built and
                  half
                  > of one side butt spliced together on Sunday, and then the weather
                  > hit.
                  >
                  > If your from the mountain regions you'll understand but the temp
                  went
                  > from 74 degrees to 36 degrees in less than 30 minutes, then the
                  wind
                  > picked up and turned into a blizzard. I don't live in the mountains
                  > but close enough to get the weather. Three inches of snow on the
                  > ground in Denver over night.
                  >
                  > Luckily I was doing this in the garage but it sure got cold fast.
                  > Does anyone know if that will effect the strength of the epoxy as
                  it
                  > cured? It didn't freeze but I hope a 40 degree change in temp
                  > didn't "shock" the cured strength.
                  >
                  > Jeff
                • Orr, Jamie
                  Message 8 of 30 , May 21 10:35 AM
                    The epoxy will finish curing once it warms up again. I've used it when the
                    temperature has dropped below freezing before the cure, and its just a
                    matter of waiting. Doesn't seem to affect the strength, at least not enough
                    to notice -- the boat hasn't fallen apart yet.

                    (I think the cure time doubles for every 10 degrees below 70 degrees, more
                    or less. So it takes twice as long at 60, 4 times as long at 50)

                    Jamie Orr

                    Message 9 of 30 , May 21 11:55 AM
                      Thanks for the information.

                      Our average days are in the mid to upper 80's and nights in the
                      summer almost always drop into the 60's so regardless of hardener, I
                      usually have to wait 24 hours before anything sets up enough to sand,
                      unless it's really hot out.

                      Patience is important to building with epoxy I guess.

                      Jeff

                      --- In bolger@y..., "Orr, Jamie" <jorr@b...> wrote:
                      > The epoxy will finish curing once it warms up again. I've used it
                      when the
                      > temperature has dropped below freezing before the cure, and its
                      just a
                      > matter of waiting. Doesn't seem to affect the strength, at least
                      not enough
                      > to notice -- the boat hasn't fallen apart yet.
                      >
                      > (I think the cure time doubles for every 10 degrees below 70
                      degrees, more
                      > or less. So it takes twice as long at 60, 4 times as long at 50)
                      >
                      > Jamie Orr

                      MA,

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                    • jeff@goldencoast.com
                      Message 10 of 30 , May 29 11:37 AM
                        I made good progress on the Tennessee the last two weeks. I'm
                        building it in two pieces and have the front half sides and bulkheads
                        built and epoxy coated with glass on the exterior sides.

                        Ready to assemble and sheath the bottom next week.

                        I uploaded a concept drawing of what I want it to look like. I
                        bought a book of classic wooden power boats and I'm going for the
                        boxy, squared off look of the 1920's. Other than the sloping cabin
                        area, it'll be built per plans. The windshield, well I'm working on
                        that yet. Even thinking of putting the motor in an enclosed well to
                        keep the theme going, but then I need a rudder, etc.

                        Jeff
                      • jmbell@mindspring.com
                        Message 11 of 30 , May 29 12:57 PM
                          Why would you need a rudder if you put the motor in a well? If you
                          set it up right your motor will propel, steer, and tilt just like it
                          if it was on the transom.

                          Oh, and I like your treatment of Tennessee. You've made it look even
                          more of the period than the original. You'll need a white linen suit
                          and a straw hat to completely pull off the Gatsby effect, though.

                          Best,

                          JB in Kennesaw, GA <><

                          Message 12 of 30 , May 29 3:34 PM
                            Thanks for the kind words. We are actually on a search for cane
                            wicker boat seats to finish off the look.

                            I am concerned about making a large well that would enable the motor
                            to pivot. I'd loose a lot of floatation in the back. I would want
                            to make it just wide enough for the motor to slip in, say 10 inches
                            or so and long enough for it to pivot up as needed. This would then
                            need a rudder. Besides, I intend on some river running and having a
                            rudder is much better when drifting with the current, motor off.

                            Jeff

                          • cadbury@swbell.net
                            Message 13 of 30 , May 29 3:51 PM
                              --- In bolger@y..., jeff@g... wrote:
                              > I made good progress on the Tennessee the last two weeks. I'm
                              > building it in two pieces and have the front half sides and
                              bulkheads

                              How 'bout some more details and some photos
                              on this "modular" construction technique?

                              I would love to build a Sneakeasy some time
                              in the future, but do not have 28 feet of space
                              in which to do it.

                              Keep us all posted!

                              Max
                            • jeff@goldencoast.com
                              Message 14 of 30 , May 29 4:01 PM
                                I wished I could call it a big deal building in two pieces but the
                                Tennessee is designed perfectly for it. The butt splices for the
                                sides come out almost on the middle bulkhead. I just made the butt
                                splices slightly bigger and built two middle bulkheads identical in
                                size except one will be a temporary as I build the back half to be
                                removed as I mate the two halfs. Since the bottom is double sheathed
                                with the splices staggared, that won't cause problems either.

                                As far keeping the twist out, well I'll just have to be extremely
                                careful but it can be done.

                                The rub rails will all be added after the to halfs are mated. The
                                bottom skids will be tied together with aluminium straps.

                                Of course there will be minor finish work to do at the splice areas
                                but she can be tipped up on her side to get to it all.

                                Final painting and touch up also done after the joining of the halfs.

                                Jeff

                                --- In bolger@y..., cadbury@s... wrote:
                                > --- In bolger@y..., jeff@g... wrote:
                                > > I made good progress on the Tennessee the last two weeks. I'm
                                > > building it in two pieces and have the front half sides and
                                > bulkheads
                                > >

                                > How 'bout some more details and some photos
                                > on this "modular" construction technique?
                                >
                                > I would love to build a Sneakeasy some time
                                > in the future, but do not have 28 feet of space
                                > in which to do it.
                                >
                                > Keep us all posted!
                                >

                                > Max
                              • Jim Chamberlin RCSIS
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                                  Any progress some days is big deal.
                                  jim

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jun 1, 2001
                                    I completely agree. One thing about boat building is that one can
                                    labor for hours and it still looks the same to bystanders, the
                                    spouse, the kids, etc.

                                    But we all know the simple pleasures of boat building is as
                                    much "puttering around" as anything else.

                                    Sometimes I can spend an hour or more with coffee and my nasty
                                    nicotine habit just pondering what she'll look like or just how I'm
                                    going to do it. I think that's as much fun as the labor of building.

                                    Like the Chicken and Egg question, what came first, the Boat or the
                                    Dream!

                                    Jeff

                                    "Puttering on my Tennessee"

                                    --- In bolger@y..., "Jim Chamberlin RCSIS" <jchamberlin@r...> wrote:
                                    > Any progress some days is big deal.
                                    > jim

                                  • Harry W. James
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jun 5, 2001
                                      See Fritz's Sneakeasy page for modular sneakeasy construction

                                      http://www.alaska.net/~fritzf/Boats/Sneakeasy/Sneakeasy.htm

                                      HJ

                                      > How 'bout some more details and some photos
                                      > on this "modular" construction technique?
                                      >
                                      > I would love to build a Sneakeasy some time
                                      > in the future, but do not have 28 feet of space
                                      > in which to do it.
                                      >
                                      > Keep us all posted!
                                      >
                                      > Max

                                      > - no flogging dead horses
                                      > - stay on topic and punctuate

                                      _ _ _ _ _
                                      % Harry welshman@...
                                    • TOMCBRADY@CS.COM
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Aug 11, 2003
                                        I am also looking for a website except I want one for the Tennessee. Can
                                        anyone help. Tom on Sandpiper.

                                      • TOMCBRADY@CS.COM
                                        Message 19 of 30 , Aug 14, 2003
                                          Hey Chuck, Peter and all,
                                          I agree it would probably be a better idea to build a real sailboat
                                          but on strong thing in Tennessee's favor is the ease(?) of building. I mean in
                                          comparison to Skillyagee. Plus Tennessee weighs 1000 lbs whereas Skillyagee
                                          weighs 5000lbs. And as we all know lbs=dollars. Plus I want to tow it with my
                                          wonderful little PT Cruiser. The motorsailer idea was just a flight of fanasty.

                                          Does Mr. Bolger sell study plans? Does an index to his plans exist
                                          anywhere?
                                          So far Tennessee looks real good. Tom on Sandpiper.

                                        • Chester
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jun 12, 2006
                                            Tim:
                                            Great looking model. I purchased plans after purchasing the boat as
                                            much to build a model, as to understand the boat itself. Please do
                                            post photos of your build.
                                            I envy the look of your stern. Even without such a flourish the Esther
                                            Mae gets a lot of thumbs up and enthusiastic waves.
                                            A bow cockpit may be one of the major changes that I will engage. My
                                            real problem is the #4 bulkhead. It is right where I would like to
                                            have a pair of bunks. Then there is the issue of access into the bow
                                            cockpit, how are you proposing to access? I did notice that your
                                            forward hatch is at the bow end of the cabin, vs. mine which is at the
                                            rear.
                                            I suspect that you will have even more of a problem with the drift due
                                            to elimination of the external chines. We have had some phosphorus in
                                            the river as of late and night running allows for observation similar
                                            to a wind tunnel with smoke. The disturbance from the chines would
                                            indicate that they grab the water during turns adding some lateral
                                            resistance. Additionaly they fender the sides such that the side
                                            panels never have to hit the dock, you will find this unavoidable with
                                            verticle sides.
                                            Curves to the cabin top are the way to go, as much for water shedding
                                            as strength enhancement plus the graceful look it gives. My cockpit
                                            roof has a curve while the cabin, bow and stern do not. At 14 years
                                            old there is the beginning of a soft spot around the stern decking that
                                            will have to be dealt with, this I feel could have been avoided to some
                                            degree with the curved deck.
                                            There is no doubt that PCB is a genius, the more we use the Esther Mae
                                            the more it becomes obvious what a cool boat it is. It speaks to the
                                            misguided desire of the stock boating industry that someone has not
                                            marketed such a vessel for the boating public. Guess it does not fit
                                            the image of freedom on the water since it only goes 10 mph and does
                                            not require a 100 hp motor. I find the pace to be extremly freeing, I
                                            like most nowadays have so little time that when I go boating the last
                                            thing I want is to go like hell so that I can hurry up and turn around
                                            and go like hell back from whence I came. I can state that at 10 mph
                                            we have put over 900 miles on the Esther Mae since Christmas.
                                            Please post photos and messages as you work through the process.
                                            Caloosarat

                                            Gravediggerjames wrote:
                                            Hello Friends,
                                            I've added a photo album of my model Tennessee.
                                            Modifications to the plans include a two and one half feet extension
                                            to the stern--to make it round.
                                            Well, I also opted for a bow cockpit. I eliminated the external
                                            chines for aesthetic reasons. Put a curve to the cabin top for the
                                            same reason, and a slight curve to the decks to shed water. One of the
                                            things I really appreciate about this design is the
                                            genius of its perfect simplicity and function, combined with maximum
                                            ease of building. really look forward to cost
                                            efficient cruising along the hundreds and hundreds of miles of
                                            Columbia and Snake rivers, and beyond!
                                            Tim
                                          • deserttoad64
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jan 30, 2008
                                              Can anyone tell me something about this boat? What HP is it rated for?
                                              Always wanted to build something like this. Anyone out there ever build
                                              one? Pretty cool.
                                            • Chester Young
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jan 30, 2008
                                                There are a number of them built, mostly in Australia but at least four here
                                                in the US. The plans show a 9.9hp, but I have corresponded with Phil and he
                                                is aware that EstherMae has 25hp. That is rapidly approaching the limit due
                                                to the light construction of the hull. There are photos on the web, search
                                                "Phil Bolger Tennessee". Also photos in this forum, under EstherMae and
                                                multiple topics of conversation in the archives with Tennessee in the
                                                subject.

                                                Caloosarat

                                                _____

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jan 31, 2008
                                                  Here is a real quickie of Tennessee, view with a grain of salt.

                                                  http://flickr.com/photos/hallman/2233660084/
                                                • Harry James
                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Mar 1, 2008
                                                    Some Tennessee web sites, it tends to get modified with superstructure.
                                                    It was designed for and apparently goes well on 10 hp when built as
                                                    designed.

                                                    http://www.boatdesign.com/jumps/dixtenn/Page.html

                                                    http://www.ace.net.au/schooner/tenn.htm

                                                    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/00/DM1999/articles/building/index.htm

                                                    http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/projects/tennessee/index.cfm

                                                    Go to Duckworks magazine and search for Tennessee, lots of comments and
                                                    such.

                                                    HJ

                                                    deserttoad64 wrote:
                                                    > Can anyone tell me something about this boat? What HP is it rated for?
                                                    > Always wanted to build something like this. Anyone out there ever build
                                                    > one? Pretty cool.

                                                  • rkldude
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jul 21, 2012
                                                      Does anyone have plans for Tennessee that they wish to sell ? I can also build a boat of similar design if I have the correct dimensions for bulkheads of a boat similar in size to Tennessee without all the info for scantlings and such. Can anyone help ? I have written and emailed PB&Friends with no success. Thanks, R.Laux
                                                    • John Boy
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jul 21, 2012
                                                        "a boat similar in size to Tennessee"

                                                        At the risk of offending all the Bolgeristas out there, Mik answers his e-mails and provides excellent customer service.
                                                        Michael Storer TC 35
                                                        John Boy

                                                        Robert Louis Stevenson, Treasure Island

                                                      • jdmeddock
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jul 21, 2012
                                                          There is enough data in Different Boats to build it.
                                                          Get it from inter-library loan if you can't buy a copy.

                                                          Justin

                                                          --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "rkldude" <rkldude@...> wrote:

                                                          > Does anyone have plans for Tennessee that they wish to sell ? I can also build a boat of similar design if I have the correct dimensions for bulkheads of a boat similar in size to Tennessee without all the info for scantlings and such. Can anyone help ? I have written and emailed PB&Friends with no success. Thanks, R.Laux

                                                        • mike graf
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jul 21, 2012
                                                            Phil would love that

                                                            jdmeddock wrote:

                                                            > There is enough data in Different Boats to build it.
                                                            > Get it from inter-library loan if you can't buy a copy.
                                                            >
                                                            > Justin
                                                            >
                                                            > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com <mailto:bolger%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                                            > "rkldude" <rkldude@...> wrote:
                                                            > >
                                                            > > Does anyone have plans for Tennessee that they wish to sell ? I can
                                                            > also build a boat of similar design if I have the correct dimensions
                                                            > for bulkheads of a boat similar in size to Tennessee without all the
                                                            > info for scantlings and such. Can anyone help ? I have written and
                                                            > emailed PB&Friends with no success. Thanks, R.Laux

                                                          • In Your Face
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jul 21, 2012
                                                              I think I got the last set. With a letter from Phil included.

                                                            • rjbalholm@yahoo.com
                                                              Message 30 of 30 , Jul 21, 2012

                                                                I have been reading the Emaill about Tennessee plans and remembered that I ordered a copy from Bernard Wolfard in 1996. I made some notes on the plans and built a model but decided not to build the boat. If you can use them I will be happy to sell them to you.

                                                                Roger