Bolger's version of Rozinante

  • pippobianco
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
      Rozinante is one of my favourite boats. I seem to remember that PCB
      has redrawn it for simple construction. I'm curious: what's the name
      of the design? Any drawings available on line?
      Cheers, Pippo
    • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
        --- In bolger@y..., "pippobianco" <giuseppe.bianco@a...> wrote:
        > Rozinante is one of my favourite boats. I seem to remember that PCB
        > has redrawn it for simple construction. I'm curious: what's the
        name
        > of the design? Any drawings available on line?
        > Cheers, Pippo

        Hi Pippo,
        Design name,BURGUNDY.
        Drawings on line? Do not know.

        Ciao,
        Peter
      • pvanderwaart
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
          > Design name,BURGUNDY.
          > Drawings on line? Do not know.

          Pippo,

          Burgandy is inspired by Rozinante, but she is not really like
          Rozinante in many ways. If you were unaware of her origin, you might
          call her either a keel dory, or (thinking of the Monroe Egret) a keel
          sharpie. Either way, she is a flat bottom boat with some flair. She
          has a short fin keel with an attached rudder. Rig is cat ketch with
          no halyards. I don't know if any where ever built. I've never see a
          picture but she would be very graceful and quite striking. The
          construction is unusually: strip-built panels built on the flat and
          bent into the boat shape.

          PCB has designed other boats that approach Rozinate in beauty and
          function. One of the best is Design # 369, a 29'9" whaler
          ketch. "Whaler" means double-ended and rounded bilged, similar to the
          boats launched by whaleships to kill whales. This boat is very pretty
          and seems to me a more practical vessel than Rozinante due to lighter
          weight. Centerboard and Leeboard versions are available.

          Joel White designed a couple of boats that are also interesting to
          the Rozinante-inspired.

          Now quite lollygagging and get back to work on you CK17! We want to
          see a finished boat out of you this time, and there is nowhere near
          enough water in your anchorage for a Rozinante.

          Peter
        • pippobianco
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
            No problem about that Peter, the CK17 will be in the water next
            summer! But, a little dreaming from time to time...

            Best, Pippo

          • stephensonhw@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
              Pippo,

              Burgundy is the subject of Chapter 10 of Bolger's "30-odd Boats". He says
              that the unusual construction came to him while sipping California Burgundy.
              There is no lines plan, but there is a sail plan and construction details
              perhaps not quite sufficient to buiild one. The shape is so simple that
              seeing a lines plan would not add much to an understanding of it.

              Howard

              From: giuseppe.bianco@... (pippobianco)

              > Rozinante is one of my favourite boats. I seem to remember that PCB
              > has redrawn it for simple construction. I'm curious: what's the name
              > of the design? Any drawings available on line?
              > Cheers, Pippo

            • pvanderwaart
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 8, 2002
                I put scans of Burgandy and the Whaler ketch in the Canoe Ketch
                folder of Bolger2. I seem to have bobbed Burgandy's keel by a couple
                of inches in each scan. Sorry. But the scanner has been so much
                trouble this afternoon I'm not gonna do it again.

                For best detail, save the pic to your own PC and view with image
                software.

                Peter