Re: [bolger] The Prolific Mr B.

  • William Samson
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2002
      Hi,

      Decisions, decisions . . .

      A few tips based on making some sub-optimal decisions
      myself, in the past (i.e. do as I say, not as I do!)

      - watch out for the sail-area/displacement figure.
      Some of Mr B's designs are best suited for areas with
      light winds, so if you live in a windy part of the
      world, go for something with a smaller SA/D.

      - Do you live in an area with substantial
      tides/currents? If so, make sure your choice can buck
      the tide, even to windward. That's when a degree or
      two of close-windedness can make the difference
      between getting home or not. Waterline length is also
      important in this respect - other things being equal,
      the longer boat will move faster.

      - Do your local waters suffer from short, steep chop?
      If so, flat bottoms perform worse than vee bottoms
      with a fine entry. It's very frustrating to slam
      around in the waves, with not enough wind to move you
      along - Not as unusual as you might think; you can get
      nasty waves with little wind in shallow estuaries when
      wind is against tide.

      - Do you have good launching slips where you plan to
      sail? If not, trailer sailing could be a PIA.

      - Do you do most of your sailing alone, or in company?
      If alone, can you do all the launching and retrieval
      single-handed? The weight of the boat comes into
      this.

      - Do you have space at home to keep the boat?

      - Do you plan to sell the boat someday? If so, go for
      a pretty conventional design to maximise your chances
      of finding a customer.

      Hope that helps to narrow it down . . .

      Cheers,

      Bill