Bigger Brick...? Opinions, please...

  • podowitz
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5 7:09 PM
      Thinking about building a bigger Bolger Brick. Just a couple more
      sheets of ply with careful scarfing and I'd have working pieces 12'
      long. So a Brick about 11+ or so feet would emerge. Plan to keep her
      4 foot beam, just lengthen somewhat.

      Opinions on the following, please...

      First, simply duplicating the existing curve of the bottom rocker
      would make her a bit deeper, so I'm thinking of softening (i.e.
      flattening the bottom rocker just a little. Any thoughts on the
      adviseability/risk of that?

      Second, with the added length, I could deck fore and aft and add
      flotation underneath and enclose. Also have some secure stowage, and
      still have at least a 4' x 8' "cockpit".

      Third, I prefer a centerline spar. Thinking about mounting it at the
      after end of the forward deck, more catboat style. How do we think
      she'd do with a sprit sail? A lug? I also have a rig from an old
      Super Snark in excellent condition -- a stripy lateen thing about 60
      square feet. Big enough? Where should the center of effort go on that
      boat (at her new length, that is). X% aft of the CG? Any guesses
      that make sense?

      Finally, would an aft skeg make sense? Might help her track better.
      Here's a weird idea -- what about a box keel right about where an aft
      skeg would go, about 18" wide. My thinking (or lack of it!!!) suggests
      that such a structure wouldn't much impede her ability to sail, but
      might just be enough of a surface to let her plane with an outboard on
      her stern. Kind of a permanent trim tab. Well, I said it was weird...

      Would appreciate constructive criticism. I get enough of the other
      from my wife.

      Thanks IA.