Re: [bolger] Re: Thumbs up on Jochems?

  • Luke S
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
      From: "bjharbo" <bharbo@...>
      To: <bolger@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2002 6:42 AM
      Subject: [bolger] Re: Thumbs up on Jochems?

      > I started 1999. Having five children and 120% workload I cannot
      > build after hours. I am restricted to four weeks in May every year
      > (my "Sabathical"...). Also I do not build in my own back yard. The
      > Construction Site is under a tree at my Father's place. I can only
      > hope for fair weather in May...
      > It's really hard to say how many man hours my boat has consumed so
      > far. The Prototype builder used two years and could spend abt 20
      > hours every week on his project. Feel free to ask me off line if
      > this subject is to narrow for the group.
      > Bjorn bharbo@...
      >
      > --- In bolger@y..., "Luke S" <biggie@d...> wrote:
      > > If you dont mind me asking, how long have you been building it
      > Bjorn ? I'm
      > > looking forward to more photos of it to be honest.

      01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

    • Luke S
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
        Five children ? Egad. I will never complain about not having enough building
        time again.
        > I started 1999. Having five children and 120% workload I cannot
        > build after hours. I am restricted to four weeks in May every year
        > (my "Sabathical"...). Also I do not build in my own back yard. The
        > Construction Site is under a tree at my Father's place. I can only
        > hope for fair weather in May...
        > It's really hard to say how many man hours my boat has consumed so
        > far. The Prototype builder used two years and could spend abt 20
        > hours every week on his project. Feel free to ask me off line if
        > this subject is to narrow for the group.
        > Bjorn bharbo@...
      • Harry W. James
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 5, 2002
          Bjorn

          If I am not mistaken aren't you the one who also is building or
          rebuilding a house and one of those children arrived since you started?
          I can see where you might need some boatbuilding therapy, I just don't
          see where you find the time.

          HJ
          bjharbo wrote:

          > I started 1999. Having five children and 120% workload I cannot
          > build after hours. I am restricted to four weeks in May every year
          > (my "Sabathical"...). Also I do not build in my own back yard. The
          > Construction Site is under a tree at my Father's place. I can only
          > hope for fair weather in May...
          > It's really hard to say how many man hours my boat has consumed so
          > far. The Prototype builder used two years and could spend abt 20
          > hours every week on his project. Feel free to ask me off line if
          > this subject is to narrow for the group.
          > Bjorn bharbo@...
          >
          > -
        • bjharbo
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 6, 2002
            er.. two kids, actually...
            --- In bolger@y..., "Harry W. James" <welshman@p...> wrote:
            > Bjorn
            >
            > If I am not mistaken aren't you the one who also is building or
            > rebuilding a house and one of those children arrived since you
            started?
          • Jeff Blunck
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 6, 2002
              Starting in 1995 and for about 5 years I raised my 5 boys alone. Ages 7 to 15 in 1995. I did manage to build a Frolic2 in 1999 but I had the help of lot's of hands when needed. You can't imagine how much sanding can be done when conscripting the sons to work. Chuckle.....and they where very reluctant, but I did manage to get it done.

              Now all but one have left the nest.

              If the boys where younger as in ages 1 - 7,there is no way I could have even tried to build a boat.

              I'm inspired by you for working it in somehow. Best of luck!

              Jeff

            • Philip Smith
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 11, 2002
                At 12:48 PM 2/5/02 +0000, you wrote:
                >I have heard that the cabins on Birdwatcher type boats can get pretty
                >warm in Florida or the Gulf of Mexico.
                >
                >Anybody got some first had experience?

                The Jochems video which Susanne filmed on Lake Powell in Arizona's summer
                at 110 F. goes into the relative comfort of the Birdwatcher family's
                comfort as opposed to a cockpit or just open shade. I recommend buying the
                video from PB&F for more information.

                The big differences while under sail seem to be 1) down draft from the sail
                above the slot in the house top and 2) shade.

                Phil Smith