Lily ??

  • rmdeming
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 5, 2002
      Hi,
      Does anyone ahve a picture of Lily? Design #627 - 15'4" - Electric
      Power $100 PB&F She is an Electric Day launch and I've got to
      confess that I like electric power. While they are not fast, they are
      quiet and when I saw this listed in the design database, well I just
      had to ask.
      Thanks,
      Rich
    • Philip Smith
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 5, 2002
        Pictures of Lilly? Those of us of a certain age will know that this was a
        song by The Who.

        There was at least one long article about Lilly in MAIB with pictures.

        I've ridden in Lilly, so if you want a subjective opinion, I'll say that
        she seemed very capable. She was incredibly maneuverable, able to move away
        from the dock while remaining parallel to the dock, even in a crosswind
        situation.

        I thought that Lilly was attractive. I happen to like the beach/cafe
        umbrella shade idea and thought that it worked well with Lilly's aspect of
        fun, built to have fun aboard her.

        Phil Smith
      • brucehector
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 5, 2002
          There was a full article on her titled "Living With Lily' in
          WoodenBoat magazine in the last year or so. Good job illustrated with
          colour photos of the craft whith Phil and Susan at the helm. Can't
          remember exactly which issue though.

          Bruce
          www.brucesboats.com
        • s_paskey
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 5, 2002
            There's now a picture of Lily -- "Lily underway" -- in the files at
            Bolger2. The British magazine "Water Craft" ran an
            excellent 2-part article on Lily by PCB in issues 23 & 24. At
            $7.95 U.S. each, they're worth the price if you're interested in
            electric boats. See www.watercraft.co.uk

            Steve Paskey
          • John Bell
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 5, 2002
              It think you mean in MAIB. The article was interesting for the discussion of
              Lily's rather elaborate on-board charging system including the problems
              encountered and the lessons learned. I'm sure I have a copy around here
              somewhere, but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment. Hopefully somebody
              else has it at hand.

              JB

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 5, 2002
                PCB sells a video on Lily. It's a great to watch even if you aren't going to
                build one. Got to see a lot of the places PCB has mentioned in his writings.

                Paul W. Esterle
                Capt'n Pauley Video Productions
                423.989.3159
                S/V Bryn Awel, Columbia 10.7
                Bristol, Tenn. USA
                http://www.captnpauley.bigstep.com
                http://pages.preferred.com/~pesterle/
              • Clyde S. Wisner
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 7, 2002
                  I have a couple at carr.org/~clydewis, Clyde

                  rmdeming wrote:

                  > Hi,
                  > Does anyone ahve a picture of Lily? Design #627 - 15'4" - Electric
                  > Power $100 PB&F She is an Electric Day launch and I've got to
                  > confess that I like electric power. While they are not fast, they are
                  > quiet and when I saw this listed in the design database, well I just
                  > had to ask.
                  > Thanks,
                  > Rich

                • rmdeming
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 7, 2002
                    > I have a couple at carr.org/~clydewis, Clyde
                    Thanks Clyde,
                    Nice looking boat. How do you like her? Was the construction Instant
                    style? The Lily Plus looks interesting. Will she ahve electric as a
                    backup source to the sail?
                    Rich
                  • Clyde S. Wisner
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 8, 2002
                      We really enjoy our Lily. She does just what she 's supposed to do" a pleasant ride for sight seeing
                      and just looking around. I like the umbrella but wind is hard on the shaft. I built her with wire
                      ties and temporary drywall screws. The bow and stern are completely full of foam. Doing it again I
                      would build a cooler into rear deck and drain it into motor well. I did make some cosmetic changes:
                      crown in decks, sloped seats like chair seats, made top of house one piece, and moved all the
                      electric except the circuit breaker into house, so I have only 1 heavey battery cable sized wire
                      going to stern. I figure the boat cost about a thousand to build with Okoume, and about two thousand
                      for electrics and motor. I initially left out electronic meter but later added it. Since I keep it on
                      a trailer and seldom travel for 8 hrs, I wouldn't mess with the $200 meter again as I'm not worried
                      about state of charge. I just plug in when I'm home. Sorry to be so verbous. Lily Plus was put aside
                      at PCB's urging, and he suggested Summer Ease, which is very similar looking. About this time I got a
                      really good buy on a Freedom 21, so I didn't go forward with either. Freedom 21 is about as close as
                      I think you can get to the "Keel Day Sailer" in BWAOM. Not in looks but in function.