Re: [bolger] Re: Design DB

  • Philip Smith
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
      I received a fax from Phil Bolger. Reading between the lines of his fax I
      believe that 1) he's in favor of the design database and 2) doesn't want to
      be conflicted by wanting to answer reasonable but trivial questions about
      his designs because there's not enough time to do so and 3) doesn't want to
      be pestered by people who want a complete redesign of an existing design to
      do something different.

      Perhaps the secondary title for the database ought to be "Build 'em Like
      Phil Drew 'em or Get a New Design."

      If you don't build the boats as he designed them, then they aren't Phil's
      designs any longer. (Kind of like the guy who had Lincoln's axe. Of course
      he'd had to put five new handles and three new heads on the axe, but it was
      still Lincoln's's axe.)

      Phil Smith
    • dbaldnz
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 3, 2002
        Phil Smith says one should get a new design, not change a Bolger plan.
        What about me? My boat when built suited my needs at that time, but
        changing circumstances dictate a changed boat.
        A bolger box is worth very little to sell, so why not start over
        using the basic boat you already own, and adapt it to what you need?
        Within reasonable limits of course, in my case incorporating a Bolger
        modification. I agree that any changes you make remove the boat from
        Bolgers responsibilty.
        Owning and playing with a cheap Bolger boxes are supposed to be fun
        are they not?
        DonB
      • rmdeming
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 4, 2002
          > Owning and playing with a cheap Bolger boxes are supposed to be fun
          > are they not?

          Don,
          I think he is refering to changing someone elses plans a hair and
          then claiming them as your own to sell or build for profit. The M2
          Marine website atleast mentioned Bolger and I wouldn't doubt that
          they are paying him royalties. I also like to experiment with the
          designs a bit, but this is my hobby and I feel that I can do that,
          but it does free the designer from any further responsibility.
          Rich

          And they are funnnnn!
        • dbaldnz
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 4, 2002
            Thanks Rich. Glad to hear you are a tinkerer too.
            When I ordered my Navigator plan, Bolger asked for photos and
            comments, because I don't think one had been built. I had to admit
            that my Micro was modified, and may not be suitable. I expected to
            get my bottom spanked when I sent the first pics, but he made no
            comment about that. Interestingly, after I added the bow and stern in
            a public area, several people stopped and asked which Bolger design?
            And I was amazed that several had built Bolger boats around here.
            The only one I have seen sailing is a Black Skimmer, modified with a
            centreboard instead of leeboards, and she went very well.
            Ah, the joy of a boat not too precious!
            DonB

            > Don,
            > I think he is refering to changing someone elses plans a hair and
            > then claiming them as your own to sell or build for profit. The M2
            > Marine website atleast mentioned Bolger and I wouldn't doubt that
            > they are paying him royalties. I also like to experiment with the
            > designs a bit, but this is my hobby and I feel that I can do that,
            > but it does free the designer from any further responsibility.
            > Rich
            >
            > And they are funnnnn!
          • Mark Albanese
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 7, 2002
              On the other hand, it seemed best to put BWAOM under Description.

              But a question:

              Putting in the URL makes that field's entries wider for the
              entire page. I'm still using a pretty small screen, so have
              to click once to scroll over. It doesn't bother me, but I
              wonder if this is worth the bother for others in order to
              have the links.

              Mark

              > For the Auray Punt I added to availability in BWAOM, since
              > enough is there to build.
              > For Anhinga, in description went the URL to files in
              > Bolger2. Can't be a hotlink, but copy and paste will take
              > you there.
            • brucehallman
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 8, 2002
                > Putting in the URL makes that field's entries wider for the

                I too considered putting URL's in the database, but they are too wide
                and cumbersome. The obvious thing to do is to create folders in
                the "Bookmarks" feature of this Yahoo Group and organize URL's
                there. The other thing to do, perhaps, is to rely on an outside
                page, and/or use a webring.