Re: Surf Sailboat

  • guitargrin
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2002
      --- In bolger@y..., "rwsiren" <rworob@h...> wrote:
      > With the exception of the Bolger Files which show some pictures of
      > Surf under construction and under sail, I haven't been able to find
      > much info from people that have built and sailed it. If anyone has
      > info on its sailing performance or know of any websites etc. that
      > might show other pictures of it and discuss it's construction and
      > performance, I would appreciate any info you can provide. Also, if
      > anyone who has built one would like to provide an e-mail address so
      > that I could discuss it with them, I would appreciate that also.
      > Thanks. Ray

      Hello Ray,
      I built Surf four years ago, and have spent many happy hours in it.
      The boat keeps growing on me, both in looks and performance. I
      transport it on top of my car, which requires two people to hoist it
      up. Following are some key points about the boat:
      1) It sails great!!..faster than you'd think, and the simple sail
      rigging is easy and fast to set up.
      2) I don't know how you would reef the sail, though I've never felt a
      need to do it.
      3)Definitly beef up the lee board. I've broken mine three times,..the
      first time within seconds of hoisting sail. Make it an inch thick!
      I've also been tempted to beef up the prongs which hold the board to
      the boat,..but I'd rather have them crack, than to do damage to the
      center frame.
      4)It's very easy to build. I had no experience with boat building,
      and very little experience with basic carpentry. The boat took me
      110 hours to build,..and I'm an idiot!!(I bet twenty five of those
      hours could have been described as "staring blankly into space").
      However the project proceeded fast enough to be very
      satisfying,..with each work session producing a very noticable result.
      Please note that the building time included many hours running out to
      local hardware stores,..to stand in the wrong aisle staring into
      space.
      5) Surf cost me $175.00 to build, though some of lumber came from
      material that I'd had laying around.
      6) I've taken up to two other people camping in her, (including
      camping gear of course), but she's really only suited to taking two
      people with gear, or up to three, (maybe four) people for a day trip.
      7) She rows very easily, though she wanders a little in a wind.
      8) You can stand up in her with care.
      9) I've never flipped her.
      And finally, a quick story:
      The last time I had her out, she broke both her leeboard and her
      rudder. The dock was two miles north, and I had a southeast wind.
      With two bungee cords, I lashed an oar side to side to the rear set
      of oarlocks, then with a third bungee cord, I lashed the second oar
      to the first. Within about three minutes I had a working steering
      oar. It worked beautifully, and I ghosted home in a most satisfying
      way,..what a blast!!
      By all means, build surf, you'll love it!!
    • rwsiren
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 9, 2002
        Thanks for the information on the Surf sailboat. I was pleased to
        hear that it rows well and could be paddled when necessary. However,
        since sailing will be my primary use of Surf and you indicate that
        it "sails faster than you would think" I was wondering how it
        compares to other sailboats in overall speed. I'm not looking for a
        rocket, but it would be nice to have a cartoppable boat the could
        keep up or at least almost keep up with most of the other boats on
        the lake. For example, how does it perform compared to a sunfish or
        similar type sailboat. I was also wondering what is the purpose of
        the board that sticks out from the bow of Surf. Is it functional or
        just for looks. Thanks. Ray