Re: Bolgers Final Word On The Design Database.

  • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
      Eureka! Finally a fresh perspective on the silliness of it all!Let us
      make lists,boats,idle chatter,share ideas,dreams,eat,drink and be
      merry to our hearts content! All of it will,one day,seem very
      trivial indeed..........
      Thank you "porky" for the skull numbing relief!
      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan

      --- In bolger@y..., "porcupinefysh" <porcupine@d...> wrote:

      > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
      > looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
      > the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling
      for
      > their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
      > forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
      > worms....
      >
      > ;o)
      >
      > porky
    • rmdeming
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
        > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
        > looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
        > the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling
        for
        > their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
        > forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
        > worms....

        Well, if nothing else good has come form this thread, the shear
        delight of reading the posts, especially Porkys, has been worth it. I
        am in agreement that the majority of the replys want the list to
        stand and to be added to. So, like a good politician, who says one
        thing and does the opposite, I will not delete it. But....this Groups
        Moderator still has that option.

        I ask only two more things, one that we only include reference to
        PB&F & Payson in the DB and TWO that this thread end, die, never to
        be heard from again (unless porky wants to write some more ;-)and
        that we talk about some boats again.

        Rich
        smiling once again because of porkys post
      • brucehallman
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
          --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:
          > > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some

          Like the rest of you, I am a huge fan of Phil Bolger, and even though
          he may not like it, he *is* a celebrity of sorts. We should not
          pester him, but we should also not stop enjoying his designs. I.E.,
          studying, dreaming, writing, talking, [and when divorce doesn't
          impede], building & using them!

          While I have great respect for the man; Phil Bolger does not have the
          right to stop us from praising, criticizing and cataloging his
          designs.

          After all, many, if not most, of his designs were published publicly
          in books and magazines by Mr. Bolger. He has placed them in the
          public eye all by himself.

          I think that the Bolger Group should create a Bolger FAQ.

          Item one should be: Do not pester Mr. Bolger (let him design more
          boats in peace!) Items two through seven hundred, could include a
          database of reviews of his boat designs, kind of like a
          bibliography. I see it as essentially a journalistic/scholarly
          act, "fair use" so to speak. Though I hope he would appreciate and
          support this; I do not believe that celebrities have the right to
          quash the study, review and reporting of their work which they have
          placed in the public's eye. I think that a Libertarian would
          understand.

          Bruce Hallman
        • Jeff Blunck
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002
            Two years ago I purchased Tennessee plans from PB&F for $75.00.

            In the same letter, he priced the Dakota and Wyoming at $300.00 each and the Illinois at $400.00.

            Jeff