Re: Bolgers Final Word On The Design Database.

  • porcupinefysh
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
      A modest proposal:

      If you look at the implied meaning behind the various communications
      from PB&F, you could say that they don't want *any* outside
      discussion of their designs. They especially suspect forums that
      encourage alterations to existing plans or inappropriate uses for
      specific designs. As this particular list spends a large part of its
      bandwidth doing just that, what is to be done? Perhaps the list
      should simply be shut down, its members disband, and no further
      mention of Phil Bolger or his boats made, either on the Internet or
      elsewhere, except as sanctioned by the designer himself or his
      designated spokesperson(s).

      Of course, to really make certain denizens of Gloucester, MA, happy,
      it would be advisable to also remove from the World Wide Web all
      sites concerning the construction and operation of Bolger-designed
      boats, plus all associated hyperlinks. Any reviews, photos or
      comments in traditional media except those of PCB, SA, or their
      lawyer should be extirpated. All archives and libraries should be
      cleansed of offending references. Living memory should be
      exterminated, perhaps with the use of Pavlovian conditioning.
      Eventually, the whole Phil Bolger phenomena will be forgotten, along
      with the designer himself, much to his own satisfaction. Foolish
      dreamers asking questions and buying plans will no longer be able to
      annoy him.

      And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
      looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
      the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling for
      their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
      forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
      worms....

      ;o)

      porky

      --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:
      > Okay Folks, Rich here...
      >
      > I faxed Bolger last night as promised and explained my position....
    • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
        Eureka! Finally a fresh perspective on the silliness of it all!Let us
        make lists,boats,idle chatter,share ideas,dreams,eat,drink and be
        merry to our hearts content! All of it will,one day,seem very
        trivial indeed..........
        Thank you "porky" for the skull numbing relief!
        Sincerely,
        Peter Lenihan

        --- In bolger@y..., "porcupinefysh" <porcupine@d...> wrote:

        > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
        > looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
        > the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling
        for
        > their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
        > forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
        > worms....
        >
        > ;o)
        >
        > porky
      • rmdeming
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
          > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
          > looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
          > the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling
          for
          > their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
          > forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
          > worms....

          Well, if nothing else good has come form this thread, the shear
          delight of reading the posts, especially Porkys, has been worth it. I
          am in agreement that the majority of the replys want the list to
          stand and to be added to. So, like a good politician, who says one
          thing and does the opposite, I will not delete it. But....this Groups
          Moderator still has that option.

          I ask only two more things, one that we only include reference to
          PB&F & Payson in the DB and TWO that this thread end, die, never to
          be heard from again (unless porky wants to write some more ;-)and
          that we talk about some boats again.

          Rich
          smiling once again because of porkys post
        • brucehallman
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
            --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:
            > > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some

            Like the rest of you, I am a huge fan of Phil Bolger, and even though
            he may not like it, he *is* a celebrity of sorts. We should not
            pester him, but we should also not stop enjoying his designs. I.E.,
            studying, dreaming, writing, talking, [and when divorce doesn't
            impede], building & using them!

            While I have great respect for the man; Phil Bolger does not have the
            right to stop us from praising, criticizing and cataloging his
            designs.

            After all, many, if not most, of his designs were published publicly
            in books and magazines by Mr. Bolger. He has placed them in the
            public eye all by himself.

            I think that the Bolger Group should create a Bolger FAQ.

            Item one should be: Do not pester Mr. Bolger (let him design more
            boats in peace!) Items two through seven hundred, could include a
            database of reviews of his boat designs, kind of like a
            bibliography. I see it as essentially a journalistic/scholarly
            act, "fair use" so to speak. Though I hope he would appreciate and
            support this; I do not believe that celebrities have the right to
            quash the study, review and reporting of their work which they have
            placed in the public's eye. I think that a Libertarian would
            understand.

            Bruce Hallman
          • Jeff Blunck
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002
              Two years ago I purchased Tennessee plans from PB&F for $75.00.

              In the same letter, he priced the Dakota and Wyoming at $300.00 each and the Illinois at $400.00.

              Jeff