Re: Bolgers Final Word On The Design Database.

  • bgbeck55
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
      --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:
      > Rich back...
      > 1)I will no longer add or modify or support the database. The
      > Groups Moderator has the same rights as me for this database, so I
      > give him the chance to take over if he so chooses. He is after all
      > the boss around here and deserves to have that option.
      > 2) If I do not hear from the Group Moderator within a couple
      of
      > days, I am going to delete the whole thing. If anyone wants the
      list
      > of designs that are currently there, you can export the list to you
      > hard drive. Get it now while you can.
      >
      > Rich...
      > kinda hard to smile right now, but I'll try.

      As the one who suggested it, I say go ahead and dump it Rich. The
      idea was to provide a counter-balance to CSB's unauthorized sales; to
      provide the answer to the question of "How much does PCB&F charge for
      those plans?." So far, only one of the nine designs sold by CSB has
      ever been entered, "Fishcat". "Micro", "Micro Trawler", Long
      Micro","Pirogue", "Brick","Big Dory","Martha
      Jane","Oldshoe",or "Idaho" aren't there.
      So go ahead Rich, delete it.
    • porcupinefysh
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
        A modest proposal:

        If you look at the implied meaning behind the various communications
        from PB&F, you could say that they don't want *any* outside
        discussion of their designs. They especially suspect forums that
        encourage alterations to existing plans or inappropriate uses for
        specific designs. As this particular list spends a large part of its
        bandwidth doing just that, what is to be done? Perhaps the list
        should simply be shut down, its members disband, and no further
        mention of Phil Bolger or his boats made, either on the Internet or
        elsewhere, except as sanctioned by the designer himself or his
        designated spokesperson(s).

        Of course, to really make certain denizens of Gloucester, MA, happy,
        it would be advisable to also remove from the World Wide Web all
        sites concerning the construction and operation of Bolger-designed
        boats, plus all associated hyperlinks. Any reviews, photos or
        comments in traditional media except those of PCB, SA, or their
        lawyer should be extirpated. All archives and libraries should be
        cleansed of offending references. Living memory should be
        exterminated, perhaps with the use of Pavlovian conditioning.
        Eventually, the whole Phil Bolger phenomena will be forgotten, along
        with the designer himself, much to his own satisfaction. Foolish
        dreamers asking questions and buying plans will no longer be able to
        annoy him.

        And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
        looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
        the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling for
        their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
        forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
        worms....

        ;o)

        porky

        --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:
        > Okay Folks, Rich here...
        >
        > I faxed Bolger last night as promised and explained my position....
      • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
          Eureka! Finally a fresh perspective on the silliness of it all!Let us
          make lists,boats,idle chatter,share ideas,dreams,eat,drink and be
          merry to our hearts content! All of it will,one day,seem very
          trivial indeed..........
          Thank you "porky" for the skull numbing relief!
          Sincerely,
          Peter Lenihan

          --- In bolger@y..., "porcupinefysh" <porcupine@d...> wrote:

          > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
          > looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
          > the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling
          for
          > their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
          > forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
          > worms....
          >
          > ;o)
          >
          > porky
        • rmdeming
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
            > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
            > looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
            > the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling
            for
            > their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
            > forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
            > worms....

            Well, if nothing else good has come form this thread, the shear
            delight of reading the posts, especially Porkys, has been worth it. I
            am in agreement that the majority of the replys want the list to
            stand and to be added to. So, like a good politician, who says one
            thing and does the opposite, I will not delete it. But....this Groups
            Moderator still has that option.

            I ask only two more things, one that we only include reference to
            PB&F & Payson in the DB and TWO that this thread end, die, never to
            be heard from again (unless porky wants to write some more ;-)and
            that we talk about some boats again.

            Rich
            smiling once again because of porkys post
          • brucehallman
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
              --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:
              > > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some

              Like the rest of you, I am a huge fan of Phil Bolger, and even though
              he may not like it, he *is* a celebrity of sorts. We should not
              pester him, but we should also not stop enjoying his designs. I.E.,
              studying, dreaming, writing, talking, [and when divorce doesn't
              impede], building & using them!

              While I have great respect for the man; Phil Bolger does not have the
              right to stop us from praising, criticizing and cataloging his
              designs.

              After all, many, if not most, of his designs were published publicly
              in books and magazines by Mr. Bolger. He has placed them in the
              public eye all by himself.

              I think that the Bolger Group should create a Bolger FAQ.

              Item one should be: Do not pester Mr. Bolger (let him design more
              boats in peace!) Items two through seven hundred, could include a
              database of reviews of his boat designs, kind of like a
              bibliography. I see it as essentially a journalistic/scholarly
              act, "fair use" so to speak. Though I hope he would appreciate and
              support this; I do not believe that celebrities have the right to
              quash the study, review and reporting of their work which they have
              placed in the public's eye. I think that a Libertarian would
              understand.

              Bruce Hallman
            • Jeff Blunck
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002
                Two years ago I purchased Tennessee plans from PB&F for $75.00.

                In the same letter, he priced the Dakota and Wyoming at $300.00 each and the Illinois at $400.00.

                Jeff