Re: Bolgers Final Word On The Design Database.

  • kayaker37
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
      I have to agree with Peter. I don't subscibe to MAIB, and I'm sure
      anyone new to Bolgers designs might wonder as to plans prices. Here
      it is merely listed, along with alternative pricing from Payson, for
      those who do not need support from Mr. Bolger himself.

      This may also free up time for Mr. Bolger, from people who contact
      him merely to find out the plans prices. If they know the prices
      ahead of time from the database, if they do contact him, they are
      more likely to be a ready and willing plans buyer!

      Paul

      > > While he did not say STOP, I think that it is implied.
      >
      > I disagree with your interpretation. If our database is no more
      than
      > a listing data that has appeared in MAIB articles that include plan
      > prices and invite inquires and we want keep it for our own
      purposes,
      > I see no reason not to do so. The fact is, we get a lot of
      inquiries
      > on this board like "Where do you get info about the Gloucester
      > Grouper?" and we have to answer "from PB&F." Would he want us to
      turn
      > them away?
    • s_paskey
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
        When I faxed PB&F last week to inquire about a design for
        cruising the Potomac River, I specifically asked for prices on
        Tennessee plans. I received a VERY nice and VERY interesting
        letter in reply, in which PCB suggested building Jochems
        without the sailing rig.

        A splendid idea, and I might very well do it, but he didn't tell me
        the price for Tennessee plans. What if I decide I want
        something easier and less expensive than Jochems, and I
        decide to build Tennessee instead? Do I really need to send
        another letter asking again for the price?

        If Tennessee were included in the database (it isn't yet), I
        wouldn't have to take up PB&F's time with that kind of question.
        I guess I'm suggesting that the database should not be deleted.

        Steve Paskey

        --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:

        > In the meantime, publication of bits and pieces would involve
        us in endless requests for more information about this or that,
        using time we should be spending either doing the catalog right
        or producing new designs that need doing.
      • Mark Albanese
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
          Rich, I read the reply differently, too.
          A comprehensive database / web site is obviously something
          he'd like to do himself.

          But I thought the original idea here was only to list the
          designs, what they cost and where to get them.
          That does not conflict with the spirit anything he said.

          I worked about a decade as a database designer before
          getting tired of spending all day in front of a computer. If
          you'd rather, I'll take on the table in Bolger2.

          Mark

          rmdeming wrote:

> [...]
          > preparing
          > it with comments and study plans, which we are doing as
          > fast as we
          > can, which is not very fast on account of interesting new
          > designs and
          > money to be made and the maddening distractions like the
          > SNAME
          > licenseing plot.
          > In the meantime, publication of bits and pieces would
          > involve us in
          > endless requests for more information about this or that,
          > using time
          > we should be spending either doing the catalog right or
          > producing new
          > designs that need doing.
          > Thanks for your interest in helping us. Please be patient
          > for a
          > little longer.
          > Sincerely,
          > PB
          >
          > Rich back...There was a second page, a bit more personal,
          > that adds
          > that his books have designs for people who want more of
          > his work (75
          > Designs & 103 Rigs). Also, look to MAIB for his articles
          > or to Payson
          > for his plans and books.
          >
          > While he did not say STOP, I think that it is implied. So
          > here is
          > what I do as the database owner:
          > 1)I will no longer add or modify or support the
          > database. The
          > Groups Moderator has the same rights as me for this
          > database, so I
          > give him the chance to take over if he so chooses. He is
          > after all
          > the boss around here and deserves to have that option.
          > 2) If I do not hear from the Group Moderator within
          > a couple of
          > days, I am going to delete the whole thing. If anyone
          > wants the list
          > of designs that are currently there, you can export the
          > list to you
          > hard drive. Get it now while you can.
          >
          > I apoligize to the group for having started this and then
          > bailing,
          > but I feel there is a moral responsibility here (with a
          > little fore-
          > thought on my part I would not have started it) and that
          > is to
          > respect Bolger's wishes (this group would not exist if it
          > weren't for
          > him) and wait for the official catalog of his designs.
          >
          > Rich...
          > kinda hard to smile right now, but I'll try.
          >
          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging
          > dead horses
          > - pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and
          > punctuate
          > - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip
          > all you like
          > - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
          > Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        • Philip Smith
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
            I *think* that Peter is correct. I recommend that you contact PB&F and say
            something like, "I'd like to keep a centralized list (database) of your
            designs that have been published. I plan to include the information in the
            current database. I promise not to pester you other than asking for your
            design number, the status of the design (study only or completed design)
            and your current price and the number of sheets of drawings and
            instructions for the designs. If this is not OK with you please tell me and
            I'll stop immediately."

            Providing a centralized location for all this information should be good
            for PB&F and the PB Fans (us.) Perhaps once the Yahoo database system gets
            more sophistocated or perhaps now if it can do it, one of the fields in the
            database will be a URL to a file of remarks, war stories, building moans
            and triumphs and sailing pictures of each particular design.

            I hope that PB&F say "OK."

            Phil Smith
          • David Romasco
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
              I second this. It could only increase PB&Fs income and may well reduce
              some of the inquiries they deal with. It would also, I'm sure, furnish
              endless topics of discussion for this group.

              David Romasco

[...]

              <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.1871318.3370210.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
              065791:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http:/www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

              <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.1871318.3370210.1261774/D=egrou
              pmail/S=1705065791:HM/A=763352/rand=950462307>

              Bolger rules!!!
              01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

            • Stuart Crawford
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
                The message I picked out of the fax, was that while he would like a
                database, he would also like to maintain full control of it himself.
                Maybe if someone wanted to keep a private database and answer the price
                enquiry's themselves, PCB wouldn't feel his time being impinged on.

                Stuart Crawford
                New Zealand

              • bgbeck55
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
                  --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:
                  > Rich back...
                  > 1)I will no longer add or modify or support the database. The
                  > Groups Moderator has the same rights as me for this database, so I
                  > give him the chance to take over if he so chooses. He is after all
                  > the boss around here and deserves to have that option.
                  > 2) If I do not hear from the Group Moderator within a couple
                  of
                  > days, I am going to delete the whole thing. If anyone wants the
                  list
                  > of designs that are currently there, you can export the list to you
                  > hard drive. Get it now while you can.
                  >
                  > Rich...
                  > kinda hard to smile right now, but I'll try.

                  As the one who suggested it, I say go ahead and dump it Rich. The
                  idea was to provide a counter-balance to CSB's unauthorized sales; to
                  provide the answer to the question of "How much does PCB&F charge for
                  those plans?." So far, only one of the nine designs sold by CSB has
                  ever been entered, "Fishcat". "Micro", "Micro Trawler", Long
                  Micro","Pirogue", "Brick","Big Dory","Martha
                  Jane","Oldshoe",or "Idaho" aren't there.
                  So go ahead Rich, delete it.
                • porcupinefysh
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
                    A modest proposal:

                    If you look at the implied meaning behind the various communications
                    from PB&F, you could say that they don't want *any* outside
                    discussion of their designs. They especially suspect forums that
                    encourage alterations to existing plans or inappropriate uses for
                    specific designs. As this particular list spends a large part of its
                    bandwidth doing just that, what is to be done? Perhaps the list
                    should simply be shut down, its members disband, and no further
                    mention of Phil Bolger or his boats made, either on the Internet or
                    elsewhere, except as sanctioned by the designer himself or his
                    designated spokesperson(s).

                    Of course, to really make certain denizens of Gloucester, MA, happy,
                    it would be advisable to also remove from the World Wide Web all
                    sites concerning the construction and operation of Bolger-designed
                    boats, plus all associated hyperlinks. Any reviews, photos or
                    comments in traditional media except those of PCB, SA, or their
                    lawyer should be extirpated. All archives and libraries should be
                    cleansed of offending references. Living memory should be
                    exterminated, perhaps with the use of Pavlovian conditioning.
                    Eventually, the whole Phil Bolger phenomena will be forgotten, along
                    with the designer himself, much to his own satisfaction. Foolish
                    dreamers asking questions and buying plans will no longer be able to
                    annoy him.

                    And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
                    looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
                    the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling for
                    their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
                    forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
                    worms....

                    ;o)

                    porky

                    --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:
                    > Okay Folks, Rich here...
                    >
                    > I faxed Bolger last night as promised and explained my position....
                  • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
                      Eureka! Finally a fresh perspective on the silliness of it all!Let us
                      make lists,boats,idle chatter,share ideas,dreams,eat,drink and be
                      merry to our hearts content! All of it will,one day,seem very
                      trivial indeed..........
                      Thank you "porky" for the skull numbing relief!
                      Sincerely,
                      Peter Lenihan

                      --- In bolger@y..., "porcupinefysh" <porcupine@d...> wrote:

                      > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
                      > looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
                      > the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling
                      for
                      > their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
                      > forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
                      > worms....
                      >
                      > ;o)
                      >
                      > porky
                    • rmdeming
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
                        > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
                        > looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
                        > the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling
                        for
                        > their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
                        > forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
                        > worms....

                        Well, if nothing else good has come form this thread, the shear
                        delight of reading the posts, especially Porkys, has been worth it. I
                        am in agreement that the majority of the replys want the list to
                        stand and to be added to. So, like a good politician, who says one
                        thing and does the opposite, I will not delete it. But....this Groups
                        Moderator still has that option.

                        I ask only two more things, one that we only include reference to
                        PB&F & Payson in the DB and TWO that this thread end, die, never to
                        be heard from again (unless porky wants to write some more ;-)and
                        that we talk about some boats again.

                        Rich
                        smiling once again because of porkys post
                      • brucehallman
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
                          --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:
                          > > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some

                          Like the rest of you, I am a huge fan of Phil Bolger, and even though
                          he may not like it, he *is* a celebrity of sorts. We should not
                          pester him, but we should also not stop enjoying his designs. I.E.,
                          studying, dreaming, writing, talking, [and when divorce doesn't
                          impede], building & using them!

                          While I have great respect for the man; Phil Bolger does not have the
                          right to stop us from praising, criticizing and cataloging his
                          designs.

                          After all, many, if not most, of his designs were published publicly
                          in books and magazines by Mr. Bolger. He has placed them in the
                          public eye all by himself.

                          I think that the Bolger Group should create a Bolger FAQ.

                          Item one should be: Do not pester Mr. Bolger (let him design more
                          boats in peace!) Items two through seven hundred, could include a
                          database of reviews of his boat designs, kind of like a
                          bibliography. I see it as essentially a journalistic/scholarly
                          act, "fair use" so to speak. Though I hope he would appreciate and
                          support this; I do not believe that celebrities have the right to
                          quash the study, review and reporting of their work which they have
                          placed in the public's eye. I think that a Libertarian would
                          understand.

                          Bruce Hallman
                        • Jeff Blunck
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002
                            Two years ago I purchased Tennessee plans from PB&F for $75.00.

                            In the same letter, he priced the Dakota and Wyoming at $300.00 each and the Illinois at $400.00.

                            Jeff