Re: Bolgers Final Word On The Design Database.

  • pvanderwaart
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
      > While he did not say STOP, I think that it is implied.

      I disagree with your interpretation. If our database is no more than
      a listing data that has appeared in MAIB articles that include plan
      prices and invite inquires and we want keep it for our own purposes,
      I see no reason not to do so. The fact is, we get a lot of inquiries
      on this board like "Where do you get info about the Gloucester
      Grouper?" and we have to answer "from PB&F." Would he want us to turn
      them away?

      On the copyright issue: Copyright is of only marginal relevance. The
      law is that the license to build a boat is a completely separate
      thing from the physical plans. If the copyright expires, then others
      can print the plan, but still only the designer can give the license
      to build the boat. The designer's creation is separate from the
      drawings that describe it.

      Same for a patent. The patented idea is separate from the patent
      drawings.

      Peter
    • kayaker37
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
        I have to agree with Peter. I don't subscibe to MAIB, and I'm sure
        anyone new to Bolgers designs might wonder as to plans prices. Here
        it is merely listed, along with alternative pricing from Payson, for
        those who do not need support from Mr. Bolger himself.

        This may also free up time for Mr. Bolger, from people who contact
        him merely to find out the plans prices. If they know the prices
        ahead of time from the database, if they do contact him, they are
        more likely to be a ready and willing plans buyer!

        Paul

        > > While he did not say STOP, I think that it is implied.
        >
        > I disagree with your interpretation. If our database is no more
        than
        > a listing data that has appeared in MAIB articles that include plan
        > prices and invite inquires and we want keep it for our own
        purposes,
        > I see no reason not to do so. The fact is, we get a lot of
        inquiries
        > on this board like "Where do you get info about the Gloucester
        > Grouper?" and we have to answer "from PB&F." Would he want us to
        turn
        > them away?
      • s_paskey
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
          When I faxed PB&F last week to inquire about a design for
          cruising the Potomac River, I specifically asked for prices on
          Tennessee plans. I received a VERY nice and VERY interesting
          letter in reply, in which PCB suggested building Jochems
          without the sailing rig.

          A splendid idea, and I might very well do it, but he didn't tell me
          the price for Tennessee plans. What if I decide I want
          something easier and less expensive than Jochems, and I
          decide to build Tennessee instead? Do I really need to send
          another letter asking again for the price?

          If Tennessee were included in the database (it isn't yet), I
          wouldn't have to take up PB&F's time with that kind of question.
          I guess I'm suggesting that the database should not be deleted.

          Steve Paskey

          --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:

          > In the meantime, publication of bits and pieces would involve
          us in endless requests for more information about this or that,
          using time we should be spending either doing the catalog right
          or producing new designs that need doing.
        • Mark Albanese
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
            Rich, I read the reply differently, too.
            A comprehensive database / web site is obviously something
            he'd like to do himself.

            But I thought the original idea here was only to list the
            designs, what they cost and where to get them.
            That does not conflict with the spirit anything he said.

            I worked about a decade as a database designer before
            getting tired of spending all day in front of a computer. If
            you'd rather, I'll take on the table in Bolger2.

            Mark

            rmdeming wrote:

> [...]
            > preparing
            > it with comments and study plans, which we are doing as
            > fast as we
            > can, which is not very fast on account of interesting new
            > designs and
            > money to be made and the maddening distractions like the
            > SNAME
            > licenseing plot.
            > In the meantime, publication of bits and pieces would
            > involve us in
            > endless requests for more information about this or that,
            > using time
            > we should be spending either doing the catalog right or
            > producing new
            > designs that need doing.
            > Thanks for your interest in helping us. Please be patient
            > for a
            > little longer.
            > Sincerely,
            > PB
            >
            > Rich back...There was a second page, a bit more personal,
            > that adds
            > that his books have designs for people who want more of
            > his work (75
            > Designs & 103 Rigs). Also, look to MAIB for his articles
            > or to Payson
            > for his plans and books.
            >
            > While he did not say STOP, I think that it is implied. So
            > here is
            > what I do as the database owner:
            > 1)I will no longer add or modify or support the
            > database. The
            > Groups Moderator has the same rights as me for this
            > database, so I
            > give him the chance to take over if he so chooses. He is
            > after all
            > the boss around here and deserves to have that option.
            > 2) If I do not hear from the Group Moderator within
            > a couple of
            > days, I am going to delete the whole thing. If anyone
            > wants the list
            > of designs that are currently there, you can export the
            > list to you
            > hard drive. Get it now while you can.
            >
            > I apoligize to the group for having started this and then
            > bailing,
            > but I feel there is a moral responsibility here (with a
            > little fore-
            > thought on my part I would not have started it) and that
            > is to
            > respect Bolger's wishes (this group would not exist if it
            > weren't for
            > him) and wait for the official catalog of his designs.
            >
            > Rich...
            > kinda hard to smile right now, but I'll try.
            >
            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            > - no cursing, flaming, trolling, spamming, or flogging
            > dead horses
            > - pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and
            > punctuate
            > - add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip
            > all you like
            > - To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209,
            > Gloucester, MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

          • Philip Smith
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
              I *think* that Peter is correct. I recommend that you contact PB&F and say
              something like, "I'd like to keep a centralized list (database) of your
              designs that have been published. I plan to include the information in the
              current database. I promise not to pester you other than asking for your
              design number, the status of the design (study only or completed design)
              and your current price and the number of sheets of drawings and
              instructions for the designs. If this is not OK with you please tell me and
              I'll stop immediately."

              Providing a centralized location for all this information should be good
              for PB&F and the PB Fans (us.) Perhaps once the Yahoo database system gets
              more sophistocated or perhaps now if it can do it, one of the fields in the
              database will be a URL to a file of remarks, war stories, building moans
              and triumphs and sailing pictures of each particular design.

              I hope that PB&F say "OK."

              Phil Smith
            • David Romasco
              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
                I second this. It could only increase PB&Fs income and may well reduce
                some of the inquiries they deal with. It would also, I'm sure, furnish
                endless topics of discussion for this group.

                David Romasco

[...]

                <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.1871318.3370210.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
                065791:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http:/www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

                <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.1871318.3370210.1261774/D=egrou
                pmail/S=1705065791:HM/A=763352/rand=950462307>

                Bolger rules!!!
                01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

              • Stuart Crawford
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
                  The message I picked out of the fax, was that while he would like a
                  database, he would also like to maintain full control of it himself.
                  Maybe if someone wanted to keep a private database and answer the price
                  enquiry's themselves, PCB wouldn't feel his time being impinged on.

                  Stuart Crawford
                  New Zealand

                • bgbeck55
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 1, 2002
                    --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:
                    > Rich back...
                    > 1)I will no longer add or modify or support the database. The
                    > Groups Moderator has the same rights as me for this database, so I
                    > give him the chance to take over if he so chooses. He is after all
                    > the boss around here and deserves to have that option.
                    > 2) If I do not hear from the Group Moderator within a couple
                    of
                    > days, I am going to delete the whole thing. If anyone wants the
                    list
                    > of designs that are currently there, you can export the list to you
                    > hard drive. Get it now while you can.
                    >
                    > Rich...
                    > kinda hard to smile right now, but I'll try.

                    As the one who suggested it, I say go ahead and dump it Rich. The
                    idea was to provide a counter-balance to CSB's unauthorized sales; to
                    provide the answer to the question of "How much does PCB&F charge for
                    those plans?." So far, only one of the nine designs sold by CSB has
                    ever been entered, "Fishcat". "Micro", "Micro Trawler", Long
                    Micro","Pirogue", "Brick","Big Dory","Martha
                    Jane","Oldshoe",or "Idaho" aren't there.
                    So go ahead Rich, delete it.
                  • porcupinefysh
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
                      A modest proposal:

                      If you look at the implied meaning behind the various communications
                      from PB&F, you could say that they don't want *any* outside
                      discussion of their designs. They especially suspect forums that
                      encourage alterations to existing plans or inappropriate uses for
                      specific designs. As this particular list spends a large part of its
                      bandwidth doing just that, what is to be done? Perhaps the list
                      should simply be shut down, its members disband, and no further
                      mention of Phil Bolger or his boats made, either on the Internet or
                      elsewhere, except as sanctioned by the designer himself or his
                      designated spokesperson(s).

                      Of course, to really make certain denizens of Gloucester, MA, happy,
                      it would be advisable to also remove from the World Wide Web all
                      sites concerning the construction and operation of Bolger-designed
                      boats, plus all associated hyperlinks. Any reviews, photos or
                      comments in traditional media except those of PCB, SA, or their
                      lawyer should be extirpated. All archives and libraries should be
                      cleansed of offending references. Living memory should be
                      exterminated, perhaps with the use of Pavlovian conditioning.
                      Eventually, the whole Phil Bolger phenomena will be forgotten, along
                      with the designer himself, much to his own satisfaction. Foolish
                      dreamers asking questions and buying plans will no longer be able to
                      annoy him.

                      And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
                      looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
                      the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling for
                      their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
                      forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
                      worms....

                      ;o)

                      porky

                      --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:
                      > Okay Folks, Rich here...
                      >
                      > I faxed Bolger last night as promised and explained my position....
                    • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
                        Eureka! Finally a fresh perspective on the silliness of it all!Let us
                        make lists,boats,idle chatter,share ideas,dreams,eat,drink and be
                        merry to our hearts content! All of it will,one day,seem very
                        trivial indeed..........
                        Thank you "porky" for the skull numbing relief!
                        Sincerely,
                        Peter Lenihan

                        --- In bolger@y..., "porcupinefysh" <porcupine@d...> wrote:

                        > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
                        > looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
                        > the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling
                        for
                        > their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
                        > forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
                        > worms....
                        >
                        > ;o)
                        >
                        > porky
                      • rmdeming
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
                          > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some strange
                          > looking square boat scribbled on a scrap of ancient drafting paper,
                          > the entire digging party will shrug. That night, needing kindling
                          for
                          > their fire, the paper will be burned. All around the campsite,the
                          > forest will ring with the mellifluous songs of the three-eyed tree
                          > worms....

                          Well, if nothing else good has come form this thread, the shear
                          delight of reading the posts, especially Porkys, has been worth it. I
                          am in agreement that the majority of the replys want the list to
                          stand and to be added to. So, like a good politician, who says one
                          thing and does the opposite, I will not delete it. But....this Groups
                          Moderator still has that option.

                          I ask only two more things, one that we only include reference to
                          PB&F & Payson in the DB and TWO that this thread end, die, never to
                          be heard from again (unless porky wants to write some more ;-)and
                          that we talk about some boats again.

                          Rich
                          smiling once again because of porkys post
                        • brucehallman
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 2, 2002
                            --- In bolger@y..., "rmdeming" <bcsb@h...> wrote:
                            > > And when, ages from now, some future archeologist find some

                            Like the rest of you, I am a huge fan of Phil Bolger, and even though
                            he may not like it, he *is* a celebrity of sorts. We should not
                            pester him, but we should also not stop enjoying his designs. I.E.,
                            studying, dreaming, writing, talking, [and when divorce doesn't
                            impede], building & using them!

                            While I have great respect for the man; Phil Bolger does not have the
                            right to stop us from praising, criticizing and cataloging his
                            designs.

                            After all, many, if not most, of his designs were published publicly
                            in books and magazines by Mr. Bolger. He has placed them in the
                            public eye all by himself.

                            I think that the Bolger Group should create a Bolger FAQ.

                            Item one should be: Do not pester Mr. Bolger (let him design more
                            boats in peace!) Items two through seven hundred, could include a
                            database of reviews of his boat designs, kind of like a
                            bibliography. I see it as essentially a journalistic/scholarly
                            act, "fair use" so to speak. Though I hope he would appreciate and
                            support this; I do not believe that celebrities have the right to
                            quash the study, review and reporting of their work which they have
                            placed in the public's eye. I think that a Libertarian would
                            understand.

                            Bruce Hallman
                          • Jeff Blunck
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 5, 2002
                              Two years ago I purchased Tennessee plans from PB&F for $75.00.

                              In the same letter, he priced the Dakota and Wyoming at $300.00 each and the Illinois at $400.00.

                              Jeff