LED anchor lights, another update

  • rlspell2000
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 31, 2002
      Well after burning out three more LED's, and banging my head up
      against getting a LM317 regulator to not drop output voltage when
      load is applied, I finaly broke down and went crazy. I decided I
      needed to supply 3.6-4v to each LED array, giving each one the same
      power level.

      I bought this:
      http://www.national.com/store/view_item/?nsid=LM2593HVEVAL

      It is an efficient switching regulator, rated at 2 amps. Replaced one
      resistor (with magnifing headpiece, needle nose tweezers, soldering
      iron ground to a point. Ain't surface mount technology fun?!) with a
      10k one I scavenged out of my old PC parts bin.

      And, PRESTO! 3.813 volts, efficently regulated!

      Doing a burn in test now, bought Perko series 25 fixtures and some
      small pc boards. Will have working lights in a day or two!
    • tom28571
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 31, 2002
        The voltage regulator chip someone (maybe you) mentioned earlier can
        be set up as a current regulator by placing a resistor on two
        terminals. This leads to the obvious scheme of putting in a variable
        resistor which could be used as a dimmer, probably in series with a
        fixed resistor to control max current. Since controlling current
        through the LED is what is wanted, why not do it directly?

        Tom

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 31, 2002
          The LM317 can be setup as a variable voltage source, but as I said in
          my post it was dropping voltage when a load was applied.

          Also, I could control the current through one, but not through
          multiple led's, the number of which would vary depending upon which
          lights I had on.

          Also, the switching regulator I modified is about 85% efficient, so
          less energy is wasted in heat.

          --- In bolger@y..., "tom28571" <harbinger@c...> wrote:

          > The voltage regulator chip someone (maybe you) mentioned earlier
          can
          > be set up as a current regulator by placing a resistor on two
          > terminals. This leads to the obvious scheme of putting in a
          variable
          > resistor which could be used as a dimmer, probably in series with a
          > fixed resistor to control max current. Since controlling current
          > through the LED is what is wanted, why not do it directly?
          >
          > Tom
          >

          > In bolger@y..., "rlspell2000" <richard@s...> wrote:
          > > Well after burning out three more LED's, and banging my head up
          > > against getting a LM317 regulator to not drop output voltage when
          > > load is applied, I finaly broke down and went crazy. I decided I
          > > needed to supply 3.6-4v to each LED array, giving each one the
          same
          > > power level.
          > >
          > > I bought this:
          > > http://www.national.com/store/view_item/?nsid=LM2593HVEVAL
          > >
          > > It is an efficient switching regulator, rated at 2 amps. Replaced
          > one
          > > resistor (with magnifing headpiece, needle nose tweezers,
          soldering
          > > iron ground to a point. Ain't surface mount technology fun?!)
          with
          > > 10k one I scavenged out of my old PC parts bin.
          > >
          > > And, PRESTO! 3.813 volts, efficently regulated!
          > >
          > > Doing a burn in test now, bought Perko series 25 fixtures and
          some
          > > small pc boards. Will have working lights in a day or two!
        • Harry W. James
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 31, 2002
            I am hoping (and I sure that I am not alone), that you are taking
            pictures and are thinking of putting together a tutorial.

            This is the sort of project that is right up this group's alley. Build
            your own, save money, maybe get a better product than you can buy. The
            skills are a little unfamiliar to many of us, but with a little training
            we can light up our lives. I know just enough to follow what you are
            doing, but not enough to duplicate.
            I eagerly await more.

            HJ

            rlspell2000 wrote:

            > Well after burning out three more LED's, and banging my head up
            > against getting a LM317 regulator to not drop output voltage when
            > load is applied, I finaly broke down and went crazy. I decided I
            > needed to supply 3.6-4v to each LED array, giving each one the same
            > power level.
            >
            > I bought this:
            > http://www.national.com/store/view_item/?nsid=LM2593HVEVAL
            >
            > It is an efficient switching regulator, rated at 2 amps. Replaced one
            > resistor (with magnifing headpiece, needle nose tweezers, soldering
            > iron ground to a point. Ain't surface mount technology fun?!) with a
            > 10k one I scavenged out of my old PC parts bin.
            >
            > And, PRESTO! 3.813 volts, efficently regulated!
            >
            > Doing a burn in test now, bought Perko series 25 fixtures and some
            > small pc boards. Will have working lights in a day or two!

          • Jeff Blunck
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 1, 2002
              I agree. Rich, you have started a really good thing with the lights on this group. I hope it won't be too much trouble to put a short article together on how they all work. Saving a money is one of the focuses of this group.

              Thanks in advance for your efforts!

              Jeff

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 1, 2002
                Ditto, and well said, Harry - I too can follow what you're saying, but doing
                it would take alot of possibly expensive, and certainly frustrating, trial
                and error; please help us learn from your experience!

                Paul L.

              • rlspell2000
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 1, 2002
                  OK, OK already! <grin>

                  I'll post an article in Chebacco when I get the rest of the setup
                  together. May do one on the entire electrical system.