[bolger] Sorry.....

  • peter lenihan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 13, 2000
      To all who took offense about my simple query regarding the presence of
      what I took to be a dead-ringer for the AS-29,I apologize.I am not a
      boat designer nor a lawyer and never intended or wished harm to
      anyone's professional reputation,implied or otherwise.I
      have,however,read Mr.Bolger express in writing here and
      elsewhere(M.A.I.B?) his sincere concern regarding lost revenues(not to
      mention the harming of ones hard earned reputation) from the
      inconsiderate actions of individuals or companies who have been perhaps
      a wee bit too elastic with their morals and thus have taken certain
      "unauthorized" liberties with anothers property,while turning a profit.
      I have only very recently"discovered" this web site devoted to all
      things relating to Mr.Bolgers work and thought it appropriate,consideri
      ng the audience,to pose my question to those most familiar with his
      designs.
      Sincerely,
      Peter Lenihan
      Montreal,Quebec
    • Samson family
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 13, 2000
        Peter,

        Please don't apologise. It's as well to have these matters aired, just so
        we know where the boundaries between 'copying', and 'after the style of'
        lie.

        With another hat on, I've made some replicas of ancient musical instruments.
        Here the argument goes the other way. The maker of a modern replica always
        wants to have it recognised as an authentic copy, but detractors inform
        him/her that it's not a proper copy (despite best efforts) but merely 'after
        the style of'.

        Difficult to get this right, either way . . .

        Bill
        -- bill.samson@...

        Chebacco News can be viewed on:
        http://members.xoom.com/billsamson

        >To all who took offense about my simple query regarding the presence of
        >what I took to be a dead-ringer for the AS-29,I apologize.I am not a
        >boat designer nor a lawyer and never intended or wished harm to
        >anyone's professional reputation,implied or otherwise.I
        >have,however,read Mr.Bolger express in writing here and
        >elsewhere(M.A.I.B?) his sincere concern regarding lost revenues(not to
        >mention the harming of ones hard earned reputation) from the
        >inconsiderate actions of individuals or companies who have been perhaps
        >a wee bit too elastic with their morals and thus have taken certain
        >"unauthorized" liberties with anothers property,while turning a profit.
        >I have only very recently"discovered" this web site devoted to all
        >things relating to Mr.Bolgers work and thought it appropriate,consideri
        >ng the audience,to pose my question to those most familiar with his
        >designs.
        > Sincerely,
        > Peter Lenihan
        > Montreal,Quebec

        >-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=bolger&m=1

      • Jack Bearden
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 13, 2000
          Ditto on no apology necessary. Lively discussions are what make listserves fun... plus the suspence of never knowing when you might accidently create a monster ;-)
          jeb
        • C. O'Donnell
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 14, 2000
            <<
            With another hat on, I've made some replicas of ancient musical
            instruments.
            Here the argument goes the other way. The maker of a modern replica
            always
            wants to have it recognised as an authentic copy, but detractors inform
            him/her that it's not a proper copy (despite best efforts) but merely
            'after
            the style of'.

            And in the world of electric guitars, "clones" are accepted as part of
            the landscape and there are, for example, Fender Stratocaster copies
            which are far nicer instruments than the Fenders made in the same year.
            Fender and Gibson both are notorious for having been run by large
            corporations who gave not a hoot for quality at different points in the
            past 50 years.

            It is true, though, that certain features were patentable (the
            contoured Startocaster body was, and was not 'cloned' until the patents
            expired) and finally it seems that the headstock shape for both Gibson
            and Fender were ruled to be trademarks.

            Hence the appearance of "lawsuit" Strats and Les Pauls, which were true
            clones, and which were lawyered off the market. But you can make and
            sell a Stratocaster clone with a *different* headstock no problem, if
            you want to.

            I also bought, years ago in high school, a Yamaha FG75 folk guitar from
            a friend and it was not until years later, playing an antique Martin
            acoustic guitar, that I realized the Yamaha was an exact clone of that
            1940s Martin model.