Surf Sailboat

  • rwsiren
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 15, 2002
      With the exception of the Bolger Files which show some pictures of
      Surf under construction and under sail, I haven't been able to find
      much info from people that have built and sailed it. If anyone has
      info on its sailing performance or know of any websites etc. that
      might show other pictures of it and discuss it's construction and
      performance, I would appreciate any info you can provide. Also, if
      anyone who has built one would like to provide an e-mail address so
      that I could discuss it with them, I would appreciate that also.
      Thanks. Ray
    • vicskiff
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 15, 2002
        Ray,

        To view photos of my Surf under construction last summer, click on:
        http://photomail.photoworks.com/sharing/album.asp?Key=1325162883420204

        For a couple shots of it in the water, click on:
        http://photomail.photoworks.com/sharing/album.asp?Key=9023132853400904

        Sorry, but I cannot report on sailing Surf as yet.

        John

        --- In bolger@y..., "rwsiren" <rworob@h...> wrote:
        > With the exception of the Bolger Files which show some pictures of
        > Surf under construction and under sail, I haven't been able to find
        > much info from people that have built and sailed it. If anyone has
        > info on its sailing performance or know of any websites etc. that
        > might show other pictures of it and discuss it's construction and
        > performance, I would appreciate any info you can provide. Also, if
        > anyone who has built one would like to provide an e-mail address so
        > that I could discuss it with them, I would appreciate that also.
        > Thanks. Ray
      • brucehallman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 16, 2002
          --- In bolger@y..., "rwsiren" <rworob@h...> wrote:
          > might show other pictures of it and discuss it's construction and

          Dynamite Payson writes about Surf in his book "Instant Boats" but you
          have already probably seen this...

          http://www.instantboats.com/ib.htm
        • David Ryan
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 16, 2002
            I have a teal (wish it was a surf)

            Never sailed a surf, but I've sailed lots and lots of dinghies. The
            teal is a good little boat. Can't imagine the surf would be anything
            but better

            >--- In bolger@y..., "rwsiren" <rworob@h...> wrote:
            >> might show other pictures of it and discuss it's construction and
            >
            >Dynamite Payson writes about Surf in his book "Instant Boats" but you
            >have already probably seen this...
            >
            >http://www.instantboats.com/ib.htm
            >

            >Bolger rules!!!
            >- pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and punctuate
            >- add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip all you like
            >- To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
            >MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

            C.E.P.
            134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
            New York, New York 10001
            http://www.crumblingempire.com
            (212) 247-0296
          • Ray Worob
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 16, 2002
              John. Thanks for the photos. It looks like you did a great job on your Surf.
              If you ever get to sail it, I would like to know how it performs. Also, I
              wouldn't mind knowing how it rows or paddles in the event the wind dies
              after I get a couple of miles out and have to row or paddle back.

              Although I had already seen Dynamite's info on Surf, thanks anyway Bruce for
              trying to provide some info.

              Any other photos or sailing performance info is still welcome. Ray

              >From: "vicskiff" <john.ewing@...>
              >To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: [bolger] Re: Surf Sailboat
              >Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 04:37:44 -0000
              >
              >Ray,
              >
              >To view photos of my Surf under construction last summer, click on:
              >http://photomail.photoworks.com/sharing/album.asp?Key=1325162883420204
              >
              >For a couple shots of it in the water, click on:
              >http://photomail.photoworks.com/sharing/album.asp?Key=9023132853400904
              >
              >Sorry, but I cannot report on sailing Surf as yet.
              >
              >John
              >
              >--- In bolger@y..., "rwsiren" <rworob@h...> wrote:
              > > With the exception of the Bolger Files which show some pictures of
              > > Surf under construction and under sail, I haven't been able to find
              > > much info from people that have built and sailed it. If anyone has
              > > info on its sailing performance or know of any websites etc. that
              > > might show other pictures of it and discuss it's construction and
              > > performance, I would appreciate any info you can provide. Also, if
              > > anyone who has built one would like to provide an e-mail address so
              > > that I could discuss it with them, I would appreciate that also.
              > > Thanks. Ray

            • vicskiff
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 16, 2002
                Ray, the Surf rows very nicely, skimming along the surface with a bit
                of wave slap against the flat bottom at the bow. Compared to my
                Tender Craft (also seen in one of the albums at PhotoWorks) you can
                get to speed almost effortlessly and maintain it without pulling a
                muscle. On the other hand, the Surf is pretty light and I'd rather be
                rowing the Tender Craft in any kind of a blow.

                The flat, rockered hull form of the Surf is somewhat reminiscent of a
                nice skipping stone, and as a result the Surf will quickly spin on
                its belly if you don't pay attention to your rowing. A skeg could be
                added for directional stability but I suspect that it could prove
                counter-productive under sail. I suspect that what would be better is
                a rudder tied in line and drawing a few inches of water when in the
                flip-up position. I plan to get going on just such as soon as
                some 'home priorities' are taken care of.

                You mentioned paddling. I'd almost forgotten that on one of my first
                outings in SAMA-J I rowed to a nearby creek and then paddled up it,
                looking for spawning salmon. The Surf was great -- in either
                direction. To all intents and purposes it is double-ended -- a bit
                like a pirogue, only wider. I sat on the aft passenger seat (my
                addition to the plans) or on either deck and J-stroked away just like
                in my 'glass canoe.

                I'll report on sailing as soon as I can.

                John

                P.S. This was my first boat so I'm no expert, but contact me if you
                want info on my construction that you can't glean from the photos and
                captions.
              • guitargrin
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 2, 2002
                  --- In bolger@y..., "rwsiren" <rworob@h...> wrote:
                  > With the exception of the Bolger Files which show some pictures of
                  > Surf under construction and under sail, I haven't been able to find
                  > much info from people that have built and sailed it. If anyone has
                  > info on its sailing performance or know of any websites etc. that
                  > might show other pictures of it and discuss it's construction and
                  > performance, I would appreciate any info you can provide. Also, if
                  > anyone who has built one would like to provide an e-mail address so
                  > that I could discuss it with them, I would appreciate that also.
                  > Thanks. Ray

                  Hello Ray,
                  I built Surf four years ago, and have spent many happy hours in it.
                  The boat keeps growing on me, both in looks and performance. I
                  transport it on top of my car, which requires two people to hoist it
                  up. Following are some key points about the boat:
                  1) It sails great!!..faster than you'd think, and the simple sail
                  rigging is easy and fast to set up.
                  2) I don't know how you would reef the sail, though I've never felt a
                  need to do it.
                  3)Definitly beef up the lee board. I've broken mine three times,..the
                  first time within seconds of hoisting sail. Make it an inch thick!
                  I've also been tempted to beef up the prongs which hold the board to
                  the boat,..but I'd rather have them crack, than to do damage to the
                  center frame.
                  4)It's very easy to build. I had no experience with boat building,
                  and very little experience with basic carpentry. The boat took me
                  110 hours to build,..and I'm an idiot!!(I bet twenty five of those
                  hours could have been described as "staring blankly into space").
                  However the project proceeded fast enough to be very
                  satisfying,..with each work session producing a very noticable result.
                  Please note that the building time included many hours running out to
                  local hardware stores,..to stand in the wrong aisle staring into
                  space.
                  5) Surf cost me $175.00 to build, though some of lumber came from
                  material that I'd had laying around.
                  6) I've taken up to two other people camping in her, (including
                  camping gear of course), but she's really only suited to taking two
                  people with gear, or up to three, (maybe four) people for a day trip.
                  7) She rows very easily, though she wanders a little in a wind.
                  8) You can stand up in her with care.
                  9) I've never flipped her.
                  And finally, a quick story:
                  The last time I had her out, she broke both her leeboard and her
                  rudder. The dock was two miles north, and I had a southeast wind.
                  With two bungee cords, I lashed an oar side to side to the rear set
                  of oarlocks, then with a third bungee cord, I lashed the second oar
                  to the first. Within about three minutes I had a working steering
                  oar. It worked beautifully, and I ghosted home in a most satisfying
                  way,..what a blast!!
                  By all means, build surf, you'll love it!!
                • rwsiren
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 9, 2002
                    Thanks for the information on the Surf sailboat. I was pleased to
                    hear that it rows well and could be paddled when necessary. However,
                    since sailing will be my primary use of Surf and you indicate that
                    it "sails faster than you would think" I was wondering how it
                    compares to other sailboats in overall speed. I'm not looking for a
                    rocket, but it would be nice to have a cartoppable boat the could
                    keep up or at least almost keep up with most of the other boats on
                    the lake. For example, how does it perform compared to a sunfish or
                    similar type sailboat. I was also wondering what is the purpose of
                    the board that sticks out from the bow of Surf. Is it functional or
                    just for looks. Thanks. Ray