[bolger] Re: AS-29 clone/

  • Samson family
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 12, 2000
      Hi,

      I seem to remember seeing a small ad for #980 in some mag (MAIB?) a year or more ago.  Of course, all that would have been shown was the sailplan view, but I remember thinking at the time that the profile looked somewhat Bolgeresque - but then so many boats are, nowadays.

      For instance, looking through the Selway Fisher catalogue, there are a number of designs that have clearly evolved following the inspiration of the master, though none of them is what could remotely be termed a 'rip-off'.  The principles seem to be followed, but the designs themselves are original.

      Bill
    • Giuseppe 'Pippo' Bianco
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 12, 2000
        Half seriously: years ago the Russians built their own version of the
        Space Shuttle, called "Buran" (guess it means "snow storm"), which was,
        well, kind of a carbon copy of the former. Their answer to the jokes
        made about the "resemblance" was that "laws of aerodynamics are the
        same either in the URSS and in the USA".
        More seriously, and specifically relating to boats, I don't want to
        enter the AS29 clone saga, but, as a non-expert, I'm still amazed to
        see how many identical (from hull lines to interiors arragements,
        rigging, appendages, etc.) plastic production boats, coming from
        different yards, have their market niche regardless.
        My question here would be: how many chances are there that, starting
        from the same design baseline, two designers independently end up with
        two almost identical designs? I don't think the answer would be
        "zero"...
        Best, Pippo

        "samson family" <bill.samso-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger/?start=1656
        > Hi,
        >
        > I seem to remember seeing a small ad for #980 in some mag (MAIB?) a
        year or more ago. Of course, all that would have been shown was the
        sailplan view, but I remember thinking at the time that the profile
        looked somewhat Bolgeresque - but then so many boats are, nowadays.

        > For instance, looking through the Selway Fisher catalogue, there are
        a number of designs that have clearly evolved following the inspiration
        of the master, though none of them is what could remotely be termed a
        'rip-off'. The principles seem to be followed, but the designs
        themselves are original.

        > Bill

      • Ernie Murphy
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 2000
          > ...how many chances are there that, starting
          > from the same design baseline, two designers independently end up with
          > two almost identical designs? I don't think the answer would be
          > "zero"...
          > Best, Pippo

          Pippo,

          Remember the discussion on the Wooden Boat Perfect Skiff a little
          while ago? All were given the same set of requirements, they did not
          produce pees in a pod, they made individual craft.

          Any designer is influenced by other designers. I design electrical
          stuff myself so I know this well. But there is a difference between
          "copying" a sheer or chine line that pleases you (or even better,
          works) and lifting an entire set of cabin accomodations right down to
          the count of shelves.

          Lots of chatter on this one. Just my 2 cents. Enough.

          Enjoy!
        • lm2
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 12, 2000
            It may interest those on the list that Selway Fisher has a "Loose Moose"
            design...we actually commissioned two designs for our Loose Moose 2...Both
            designs had the identical design brief yet are two completly different
            boats.

            We chose Phils design as it more closely followed our wants and costed out
            at about 50% less to build. A very interesting but expensive excercise.

            Bob & Sheila
            Paradise Connections
            St Thomas USVI
            340 774 1111