Re: [bolger] Illinois!!!

  • Hal Lynch
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
      On Tuesday, January 1, 2002, at 03:54 PM, David Ryan wrote:

      Stuff deleted

      > Any boat of her size, sail or power, would need a similar power
      > plant. But any sail boat build to similar requirements would likely
      > spend much of her time under power. Why spend all that money on spars
      > and canvas and line when for her purpose they are nearly an
      > affectation? Why accommodate the ability to sail at the expense of
      > roominess or performance under power?

      For some time now I have noticed in publications such as MAIB that in
      most of the articles involving sail boats with auxiliaries the auxiliary
      seems to be used as much or more the sails. It seems to me that a
      boat optimized for power would be more useful most of the time.

      hal
    • Harry W. James
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
        I have commented on this before. We get a lot of transient cruisers (SE
        AK), many of them large (35'-55') auxiliary cruisers. I fly for a living
        and I bet I see less than 5% with any sail up. It is subject for amazed
        comment in the cockpit as in "look at that one, they have the sails up!"
        In a normal summer I will only see 2-3 sailboats actually sailing.

        HJ

        Hal Lynch wrote:

        > For some time now I have noticed in publications such as MAIB that in
        > most of the articles involving sail boats with auxiliaries the auxiliary
        > seems to be used as much or more the sails. It seems to me that a
        > boat optimized for power would be more useful most of the time.
        >
        > hal
        >
        > --
      • David Ryan
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
          My wife and I have been studying the plans for this great beast and I
          can figure out a couple of things.

          1) Is the area under the after deck reserved for anything in particular?

          2) Is there any privacy for the master bed when someone passes from
          the kitchen to the forecastle?

          If you can read these drawing any better than I, let me know what you see.

          YIBB,

          David

          >I have commented on this before. We get a lot of transient cruisers (SE
          >AK), many of them large (35'-55') auxiliary cruisers. I fly for a living
          >and I bet I see less than 5% with any sail up. It is subject for amazed
          >comment in the cockpit as in "look at that one, they have the sails up!"
          >In a normal summer I will only see 2-3 sailboats actually sailing.
          >
          >HJ
          >
          >Hal Lynch wrote:
          >>

          >> For some time now I have noticed in publications such as MAIB that in
          >> most of the articles involving sail boats with auxiliaries the auxiliary
          >> seems to be used as much or more the sails. It seems to me that a
          >> boat optimized for power would be more useful most of the time.
          >>
          >> hal
          >>
          >> --
          >

          >Bolger rules!!!
          >- pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and punctuate
          >- add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip all you like
          >- To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
          >MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

          C.E.P.
          134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
          New York, New York 10001
          http://www.crumblingempire.com
          (212) 247-0296
        • sctree
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
            David,

            I think under the aft deck is tankage?

            The mastersuite is below the offset deckhouse, which hangs down into
            the mastersuite, meaning no standing headroom there. The corridor to
            get from galley forward has full headroom and it seems that a bearing
            wall separates it from the master, carrying the port side of the
            deckhouse down to the hull bottom.

            Leastwise that's what I see.

            Best way for us all to find out is, you buy the plans, build her, and
            send photos!

            Rick

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            > C.E.P.
            > 134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
            > New York, New York 10001
            > http://www.crumblingempire.com
            > (212) 247-0296
          • brucehallman
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
              --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:

              > 1) Is the area under the after deck reserved for anything in
              particular?

              The PB&F plans call that area a "Hold". I imagine it as where I
              would store my bicycle, and other junk.

              > 2) Is there any privacy for the master bed when someone passes from
              > the kitchen to the forecastle?

              No, I don't think there is anything other than perhaps a curtain.
              The PB&F commentary describes the bunks being for visits from the
              grandchildren, which presumably would not happen every week.
            • David Ryan
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                >> 2) Is there any privacy for the master bed when someone passes from
                >> the kitchen to the forecastle?
                >
                >No, I don't think there is anything other than perhaps a curtain.
                >The PB&F commentary describes the bunks being for visits from the
                >grandchildren, which presumably would not happen every week.

                I suppose I could reduce the size of the king bed to a queen or even
                a full to pick up a little room for a solid partition. And a smaller
                bed would make it hard for my wife to get away from me!

                YIBB,

                David

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                  --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
                  > I suppose I could reduce the size of the king bed to a queen

                  The size of the bed is determined by the size of the pilot house
                  floor [causing low headroom] from above. Though I am sure you could
                  figure out a way to make a door, it just wouldn't be full height.
                • thomas dalzell
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                    I always liked Jim Browns comments regarding the
                    anvil chorus: "They always say they wanted a really
                    big boat, so they could carry a lot of gas, for their
                    engine" Words he hears while ghosting along in his
                    tri. Does raise the issue of the Yanmar Endevour. A
                    35' trimaran, that outboarded it accross the Pacific.
                    Low resistance is where it is at.

                    >I have commented on this before. We get a lot of
                    transient cruisers (SE<BR>
                    AK), many of them large (35'-55') auxiliary cruisers.
                    I fly for a living<BR>
                    and I bet I see less than 5% with any sail up.