Re: [bolger] Wyoming

  • Jeff Blunck
    Message 1 of 95 , Jan 2, 2002
      Agreed, I would never think of the Wyo for just pleasure. We wish to cruise, when that's over, we'll sell her off. If I could get a mooring on the local lake maybe use her as a floating cabin, but even at 26 miles long and 3 wide, she would see out of place.

      I'm still researching the possibility of building almost all of the pieces individually. Sides could be put together and cut to size, but not glue up the joints in say three places to they can be handled easier. My drive way is over 50' long so it could be done. It is a vertical sided boat so once the sides are cut and bulkheads made, you'd have the basis for all measurements. All seams are backed up with 1 1/2" square stock and heavily nailed/screwed with bronze hardware, it could be assembled without waiting for epoxy to cure. At least to some extent.

      I have access to a large hanger free of charge for up to 120 days. (As in the Boss has an airplane in his own hanger and the plane is gone each summer from June through Sept.)

      And it may just be too big a project, don't know yet.

      Jeff
      Message 95 of 95 , Jul 16, 2002
        In a message dated 17-07-02 12:03:28 AM E. Australia Standard Time,
        boatbuilding@... writes:

        > . All the outboard connections are insulated from
        > the boat except for the battery and it's isolated from the hull.

        But electrolytic corrosion can happen without any external source of
        electrical current. Try immersing a piece of aluminum in a bucket of salt
        water together with a piece of copper (or a cupro-nickel coin). The
        dissimilar metals produce their own electrical current as the aluminum is
        eaten away.

        Crocodile hunters had to be very careful not to leave brass shell casings in
        the bottom of their aluminum dinghies, else the brass would very quickly
        corrode a hole in the bottom.

        Howard

        Howard