Re: [bolger] Illinois!!!

  • thomas dalzell
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
      Sam Devlin Suggested that was the reason to own a
      houseboat, same kind of idea.
      --- "Harry W. James" <welshman@...> wrote:

      <HR>

      <tt>
      One of our thoughts around this part of the world (SE
      Alaska) has been<BR>
      that the reason to own a big power sharpie is to pack
      lots of small<BR>

    • Hal Lynch
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
        On Tuesday, January 1, 2002, at 03:54 PM, David Ryan wrote:

        Stuff deleted

        > Any boat of her size, sail or power, would need a similar power
        > plant. But any sail boat build to similar requirements would likely
        > spend much of her time under power. Why spend all that money on spars
        > and canvas and line when for her purpose they are nearly an
        > affectation? Why accommodate the ability to sail at the expense of
        > roominess or performance under power?

        For some time now I have noticed in publications such as MAIB that in
        most of the articles involving sail boats with auxiliaries the auxiliary
        seems to be used as much or more the sails. It seems to me that a
        boat optimized for power would be more useful most of the time.

        hal
      • Harry W. James
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
          I have commented on this before. We get a lot of transient cruisers (SE
          AK), many of them large (35'-55') auxiliary cruisers. I fly for a living
          and I bet I see less than 5% with any sail up. It is subject for amazed
          comment in the cockpit as in "look at that one, they have the sails up!"
          In a normal summer I will only see 2-3 sailboats actually sailing.

          HJ

          Hal Lynch wrote:

          > For some time now I have noticed in publications such as MAIB that in
          > most of the articles involving sail boats with auxiliaries the auxiliary
          > seems to be used as much or more the sails. It seems to me that a
          > boat optimized for power would be more useful most of the time.
          >
          > hal
          >
          > --
        • David Ryan
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
            My wife and I have been studying the plans for this great beast and I
            can figure out a couple of things.

            1) Is the area under the after deck reserved for anything in particular?

            2) Is there any privacy for the master bed when someone passes from
            the kitchen to the forecastle?

            If you can read these drawing any better than I, let me know what you see.

            YIBB,

            David

            >I have commented on this before. We get a lot of transient cruisers (SE
            >AK), many of them large (35'-55') auxiliary cruisers. I fly for a living
            >and I bet I see less than 5% with any sail up. It is subject for amazed
            >comment in the cockpit as in "look at that one, they have the sails up!"
            >In a normal summer I will only see 2-3 sailboats actually sailing.
            >
            >HJ
            >
            >Hal Lynch wrote:
            >>

            >> For some time now I have noticed in publications such as MAIB that in
            >> most of the articles involving sail boats with auxiliaries the auxiliary
            >> seems to be used as much or more the sails. It seems to me that a
            >> boat optimized for power would be more useful most of the time.
            >>
            >> hal
            >>
            >> --
            >

            >Bolger rules!!!
            >- pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and punctuate
            >- add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip all you like
            >- To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
            >MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

            C.E.P.
            134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
            New York, New York 10001
            http://www.crumblingempire.com
            (212) 247-0296
          • sctree
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
              David,

              I think under the aft deck is tankage?

              The mastersuite is below the offset deckhouse, which hangs down into
              the mastersuite, meaning no standing headroom there. The corridor to
              get from galley forward has full headroom and it seems that a bearing
              wall separates it from the master, carrying the port side of the
              deckhouse down to the hull bottom.

              Leastwise that's what I see.

              Best way for us all to find out is, you buy the plans, build her, and
              send photos!

              Rick

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              > C.E.P.
              > 134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
              > New York, New York 10001
              > http://www.crumblingempire.com
              > (212) 247-0296
            • brucehallman
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:

                > 1) Is the area under the after deck reserved for anything in
                particular?

                The PB&F plans call that area a "Hold". I imagine it as where I
                would store my bicycle, and other junk.

                > 2) Is there any privacy for the master bed when someone passes from
                > the kitchen to the forecastle?

                No, I don't think there is anything other than perhaps a curtain.
                The PB&F commentary describes the bunks being for visits from the
                grandchildren, which presumably would not happen every week.
              • David Ryan
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                  >> 2) Is there any privacy for the master bed when someone passes from
                  >> the kitchen to the forecastle?
                  >
                  >No, I don't think there is anything other than perhaps a curtain.
                  >The PB&F commentary describes the bunks being for visits from the
                  >grandchildren, which presumably would not happen every week.

                  I suppose I could reduce the size of the king bed to a queen or even
                  a full to pick up a little room for a solid partition. And a smaller
                  bed would make it hard for my wife to get away from me!

                  YIBB,

                  David

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                    --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
                    > I suppose I could reduce the size of the king bed to a queen

                    The size of the bed is determined by the size of the pilot house
                    floor [causing low headroom] from above. Though I am sure you could
                    figure out a way to make a door, it just wouldn't be full height.
                  • thomas dalzell
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                      I always liked Jim Browns comments regarding the
                      anvil chorus: "They always say they wanted a really
                      big boat, so they could carry a lot of gas, for their
                      engine" Words he hears while ghosting along in his
                      tri. Does raise the issue of the Yanmar Endevour. A
                      35' trimaran, that outboarded it accross the Pacific.
                      Low resistance is where it is at.

                      >I have commented on this before. We get a lot of
                      transient cruisers (SE<BR>
                      AK), many of them large (35'-55') auxiliary cruisers.
                      I fly for a living<BR>
                      and I bet I see less than 5% with any sail up.