Re: [bolger] Illinois!!!

  • Harry W. James
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
      One of our thoughts around this part of the world (SE Alaska) has been
      that the reason to own a big power sharpie is to pack lots of small
      Bolger Boats from anchorage to anchorage, and that's when the adventure
      begins, rowing, sailing and poking around creeks, channels, inlets and
      islands.

      Hj

      David Ryan wrote:

      > FBBB --
      >
      > At the end of Beuhler's "Backyard Boat Building" he hints that in the
      > boat/no boat equation, that sailing may be less practical than
      > motoring. My own disdain for motors has two roots:
      >
      > 1) It's a lot easier/cheaper to make and maintain you own sails and
      > oars than your own engine. For the way I use small boats, a motor is
      > simply an added expense and hassle with no meaningful return. The
      > boat/no boat calculus dictates my scooner has no engine. Whatever
      > status or romance accompanies that is incidental.
      >
      > 2) In any imaginings of long ocean passages, sails just seem more reliable.
      >
      > However, my "discovery" of Phil Bolger and the East Coast's great
      > inner waterways have turn my preconceptions of what a boat needs to
      > be, or should be on their head. I have discovered sharpies -- cheap,
      > fast to build, fun to sail and ideal for my circumstances.
      >
      > Now, rather than reading the classifieds in the back of "Sail"
      > magazine, and dreaming of which boat I could buy if I sold my house,
      > I draw up realistic balances of time and money and intentions and
      > hone in on real "on -the-water vacation home" that I could build
      > myself without giving up my day job or my equity.
      >
      > Fantasies of full-keeled seaboats no longer dominate my day dreams.
      > Instead it's a giant sharpie anchored at some out of the way location
      > where I can enjoy the company of my wife and daughter and dog, and my
      > own smug satisfaction at having built our vessel myself. The next
      > "casualty" of these realizations may well be the sailing. As I study
      > the plans for the Illinois, it occurs to me that she is much more
      > boat for the money anything of comparable capacities meant to be
      > sailed.
      >
      > Any boat of her size, sail or power, would need a similar power
      > plant. But any sail boat build to similar requirements would likely
      > spend much of her time under power. Why spend all that money on spars
      > and canvas and line when for her purpose they are nearly an
      > affectation? Why accommodate the ability to sail at the expense of
      > roominess or performance under power?
      >
      > For me, the answer is romance; and I'm never one to value romance
      > lightly. But actually being on the water, in a boat that makes being
      > there absolutely pleasant is romantic too -- perhaps more romantic
      > than dreaming about it.
      >
      > YIBB,
      >
      > David

    • thomas dalzell
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
        Sam Devlin Suggested that was the reason to own a
        houseboat, same kind of idea.
        --- "Harry W. James" <welshman@...> wrote:

        <HR>

        <tt>
        One of our thoughts around this part of the world (SE
        Alaska) has been<BR>
        that the reason to own a big power sharpie is to pack
        lots of small<BR>

      • Hal Lynch
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
          On Tuesday, January 1, 2002, at 03:54 PM, David Ryan wrote:

          Stuff deleted

          > Any boat of her size, sail or power, would need a similar power
          > plant. But any sail boat build to similar requirements would likely
          > spend much of her time under power. Why spend all that money on spars
          > and canvas and line when for her purpose they are nearly an
          > affectation? Why accommodate the ability to sail at the expense of
          > roominess or performance under power?

          For some time now I have noticed in publications such as MAIB that in
          most of the articles involving sail boats with auxiliaries the auxiliary
          seems to be used as much or more the sails. It seems to me that a
          boat optimized for power would be more useful most of the time.

          hal
        • Harry W. James
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
            I have commented on this before. We get a lot of transient cruisers (SE
            AK), many of them large (35'-55') auxiliary cruisers. I fly for a living
            and I bet I see less than 5% with any sail up. It is subject for amazed
            comment in the cockpit as in "look at that one, they have the sails up!"
            In a normal summer I will only see 2-3 sailboats actually sailing.

            HJ

            Hal Lynch wrote:

            > For some time now I have noticed in publications such as MAIB that in
            > most of the articles involving sail boats with auxiliaries the auxiliary
            > seems to be used as much or more the sails. It seems to me that a
            > boat optimized for power would be more useful most of the time.
            >
            > hal
            >
            > --
          • David Ryan
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
              My wife and I have been studying the plans for this great beast and I
              can figure out a couple of things.

              1) Is the area under the after deck reserved for anything in particular?

              2) Is there any privacy for the master bed when someone passes from
              the kitchen to the forecastle?

              If you can read these drawing any better than I, let me know what you see.

              YIBB,

              David

              >I have commented on this before. We get a lot of transient cruisers (SE
              >AK), many of them large (35'-55') auxiliary cruisers. I fly for a living
              >and I bet I see less than 5% with any sail up. It is subject for amazed
              >comment in the cockpit as in "look at that one, they have the sails up!"
              >In a normal summer I will only see 2-3 sailboats actually sailing.
              >
              >HJ
              >
              >Hal Lynch wrote:
              >>

              >> For some time now I have noticed in publications such as MAIB that in
              >> most of the articles involving sail boats with auxiliaries the auxiliary
              >> seems to be used as much or more the sails. It seems to me that a
              >> boat optimized for power would be more useful most of the time.
              >>
              >> hal
              >>
              >> --
              >

              >Bolger rules!!!
              >- pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and punctuate
              >- add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip all you like
              >- To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
              >MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

              C.E.P.
              134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
              New York, New York 10001
              http://www.crumblingempire.com
              (212) 247-0296
            • sctree
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
                David,

                I think under the aft deck is tankage?

                The mastersuite is below the offset deckhouse, which hangs down into
                the mastersuite, meaning no standing headroom there. The corridor to
                get from galley forward has full headroom and it seems that a bearing
                wall separates it from the master, carrying the port side of the
                deckhouse down to the hull bottom.

                Leastwise that's what I see.

                Best way for us all to find out is, you buy the plans, build her, and
                send photos!

                Rick

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                > C.E.P.
                > 134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
                > New York, New York 10001
                > http://www.crumblingempire.com
                > (212) 247-0296
              • brucehallman
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                  --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:

                  > 1) Is the area under the after deck reserved for anything in
                  particular?

                  The PB&F plans call that area a "Hold". I imagine it as where I
                  would store my bicycle, and other junk.

                  > 2) Is there any privacy for the master bed when someone passes from
                  > the kitchen to the forecastle?

                  No, I don't think there is anything other than perhaps a curtain.
                  The PB&F commentary describes the bunks being for visits from the
                  grandchildren, which presumably would not happen every week.
                • David Ryan
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                    >> 2) Is there any privacy for the master bed when someone passes from
                    >> the kitchen to the forecastle?
                    >
                    >No, I don't think there is anything other than perhaps a curtain.
                    >The PB&F commentary describes the bunks being for visits from the
                    >grandchildren, which presumably would not happen every week.

                    I suppose I could reduce the size of the king bed to a queen or even
                    a full to pick up a little room for a solid partition. And a smaller
                    bed would make it hard for my wife to get away from me!

                    YIBB,

                    David

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                      --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
                      > I suppose I could reduce the size of the king bed to a queen

                      The size of the bed is determined by the size of the pilot house
                      floor [causing low headroom] from above. Though I am sure you could
                      figure out a way to make a door, it just wouldn't be full height.
                    • thomas dalzell
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                        I always liked Jim Browns comments regarding the
                        anvil chorus: "They always say they wanted a really
                        big boat, so they could carry a lot of gas, for their
                        engine" Words he hears while ghosting along in his
                        tri. Does raise the issue of the Yanmar Endevour. A
                        35' trimaran, that outboarded it accross the Pacific.
                        Low resistance is where it is at.

                        >I have commented on this before. We get a lot of
                        transient cruisers (SE<BR>
                        AK), many of them large (35'-55') auxiliary cruisers.
                        I fly for a living<BR>
                        and I bet I see less than 5% with any sail up.