Illinois!!!

  • David Ryan
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
      FBBB --

      At the end of Beuhler's "Backyard Boat Building" he hints that in the
      boat/no boat equation, that sailing may be less practical than
      motoring. My own disdain for motors has two roots:

      1) It's a lot easier/cheaper to make and maintain you own sails and
      oars than your own engine. For the way I use small boats, a motor is
      simply an added expense and hassle with no meaningful return. The
      boat/no boat calculus dictates my scooner has no engine. Whatever
      status or romance accompanies that is incidental.

      2) In any imaginings of long ocean passages, sails just seem more reliable.

      However, my "discovery" of Phil Bolger and the East Coast's great
      inner waterways have turn my preconceptions of what a boat needs to
      be, or should be on their head. I have discovered sharpies -- cheap,
      fast to build, fun to sail and ideal for my circumstances.

      Now, rather than reading the classifieds in the back of "Sail"
      magazine, and dreaming of which boat I could buy if I sold my house,
      I draw up realistic balances of time and money and intentions and
      hone in on real "on -the-water vacation home" that I could build
      myself without giving up my day job or my equity.

      Fantasies of full-keeled seaboats no longer dominate my day dreams.
      Instead it's a giant sharpie anchored at some out of the way location
      where I can enjoy the company of my wife and daughter and dog, and my
      own smug satisfaction at having built our vessel myself. The next
      "casualty" of these realizations may well be the sailing. As I study
      the plans for the Illinois, it occurs to me that she is much more
      boat for the money anything of comparable capacities meant to be
      sailed.

      Any boat of her size, sail or power, would need a similar power
      plant. But any sail boat build to similar requirements would likely
      spend much of her time under power. Why spend all that money on spars
      and canvas and line when for her purpose they are nearly an
      affectation? Why accommodate the ability to sail at the expense of
      roominess or performance under power?

      For me, the answer is romance; and I'm never one to value romance
      lightly. But actually being on the water, in a boat that makes being
      there absolutely pleasant is romantic too -- perhaps more romantic
      than dreaming about it.

      YIBB,

      David

      C.E.P.
      134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
      New York, New York 10001
      http://www.crumblingempire.com
      (212) 247-0296
    • Chuck Leinweber
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
        David:

        And you can always tow the LSME behind her.

        Chuck
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        Bolger rules!!!

      • David Ryan
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
          Yes, my point exactly. With a boat like the Illinois you could enjoy
          your sailing without having it ruining your time on the water!

          Of course such logic is dangerous. Too much of it and you end up
          deciding you don't need a boat at all :-(

        • thomas dalzell
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
            Great,
            no sooner do we start to make some headway against the
            PWCs with 12 weight fly rods and torpedo nets than we
            have this noisy abomination to deal with:

            ;o)

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
              I was thinking a pair of PWCs would fit very nicely in place for
              skiff atop Illinois!

              >Great,
              >no sooner do we start to make some headway against the
              >PWCs with 12 weight fly rods and torpedo nets than we
              >have this noisy abomination to deal with:
              >
              >;o)
              >
              >"However, my "discovery" of Phil Bolger and the East
              >Coast's great
              >inner waterways have turn my preconceptions of what a
              >boat needs to
              >be, or should be on their head. I have discovered
              >sharpies -- cheap,
              >fast to build, fun to sail and ideal for my circumstances"

              >Send your holiday cheer with http://greetings.yahoo.ca
              >

              >Bolger rules!!!
              >- pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and punctuate
              >- add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip all you like
              >- To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
              >MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

              C.E.P.
              134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
              New York, New York 10001
              http://www.crumblingempire.com
              (212) 247-0296
            • pvanderwaart
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
                My observation is that a sailboat is a means of travel and a
                powerboat is a means of getting to a destination.

                PHV

                p.s. I got a message from geocities saying that the popularity of my
                site caused more traffic than they allot for free. So, if you were
                not able to view the pictures of Arava and Schorpioen, try again in a
                couple of days. The .jpg's are pretty big because I like to keep the
                fine print on the drawing visible if I can.

                "Single Eagle with traing wheels" Good line!
              • Harry W. James
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
                  One of our thoughts around this part of the world (SE Alaska) has been
                  that the reason to own a big power sharpie is to pack lots of small
                  Bolger Boats from anchorage to anchorage, and that's when the adventure
                  begins, rowing, sailing and poking around creeks, channels, inlets and
                  islands.

                  Hj

                  David Ryan wrote:

                  > FBBB --
                  >
                  > At the end of Beuhler's "Backyard Boat Building" he hints that in the
                  > boat/no boat equation, that sailing may be less practical than
                  > motoring. My own disdain for motors has two roots:
                  >
                  > 1) It's a lot easier/cheaper to make and maintain you own sails and
                  > oars than your own engine. For the way I use small boats, a motor is
                  > simply an added expense and hassle with no meaningful return. The
                  > boat/no boat calculus dictates my scooner has no engine. Whatever
                  > status or romance accompanies that is incidental.
                  >
                  > 2) In any imaginings of long ocean passages, sails just seem more reliable.
                  >
                  > However, my "discovery" of Phil Bolger and the East Coast's great
                  > inner waterways have turn my preconceptions of what a boat needs to
                  > be, or should be on their head. I have discovered sharpies -- cheap,
                  > fast to build, fun to sail and ideal for my circumstances.
                  >
                  > Now, rather than reading the classifieds in the back of "Sail"
                  > magazine, and dreaming of which boat I could buy if I sold my house,
                  > I draw up realistic balances of time and money and intentions and
                  > hone in on real "on -the-water vacation home" that I could build
                  > myself without giving up my day job or my equity.
                  >
                  > Fantasies of full-keeled seaboats no longer dominate my day dreams.
                  > Instead it's a giant sharpie anchored at some out of the way location
                  > where I can enjoy the company of my wife and daughter and dog, and my
                  > own smug satisfaction at having built our vessel myself. The next
                  > "casualty" of these realizations may well be the sailing. As I study
                  > the plans for the Illinois, it occurs to me that she is much more
                  > boat for the money anything of comparable capacities meant to be
                  > sailed.
                  >
                  > Any boat of her size, sail or power, would need a similar power
                  > plant. But any sail boat build to similar requirements would likely
                  > spend much of her time under power. Why spend all that money on spars
                  > and canvas and line when for her purpose they are nearly an
                  > affectation? Why accommodate the ability to sail at the expense of
                  > roominess or performance under power?
                  >
                  > For me, the answer is romance; and I'm never one to value romance
                  > lightly. But actually being on the water, in a boat that makes being
                  > there absolutely pleasant is romantic too -- perhaps more romantic
                  > than dreaming about it.
                  >
                  > YIBB,
                  >
                  > David

                • thomas dalzell
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 1, 2002
                    Sam Devlin Suggested that was the reason to own a
                    houseboat, same kind of idea.
                    --- "Harry W. James" <welshman@...> wrote:

                    <HR>

                    <tt>
                    One of our thoughts around this part of the world (SE
                    Alaska) has been<BR>
                    that the reason to own a big power sharpie is to pack
                    lots of small<BR>

                  • Hal Lynch
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
                      On Tuesday, January 1, 2002, at 03:54 PM, David Ryan wrote:

                      Stuff deleted

                      > Any boat of her size, sail or power, would need a similar power
                      > plant. But any sail boat build to similar requirements would likely
                      > spend much of her time under power. Why spend all that money on spars
                      > and canvas and line when for her purpose they are nearly an
                      > affectation? Why accommodate the ability to sail at the expense of
                      > roominess or performance under power?

                      For some time now I have noticed in publications such as MAIB that in
                      most of the articles involving sail boats with auxiliaries the auxiliary
                      seems to be used as much or more the sails. It seems to me that a
                      boat optimized for power would be more useful most of the time.

                      hal
                    • Harry W. James
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
                        I have commented on this before. We get a lot of transient cruisers (SE
                        AK), many of them large (35'-55') auxiliary cruisers. I fly for a living
                        and I bet I see less than 5% with any sail up. It is subject for amazed
                        comment in the cockpit as in "look at that one, they have the sails up!"
                        In a normal summer I will only see 2-3 sailboats actually sailing.

                        HJ

                        Hal Lynch wrote:

                        > For some time now I have noticed in publications such as MAIB that in
                        > most of the articles involving sail boats with auxiliaries the auxiliary
                        > seems to be used as much or more the sails. It seems to me that a
                        > boat optimized for power would be more useful most of the time.
                        >
                        > hal
                        >
                        > --
                      • David Ryan
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
                          My wife and I have been studying the plans for this great beast and I
                          can figure out a couple of things.

                          1) Is the area under the after deck reserved for anything in particular?

                          2) Is there any privacy for the master bed when someone passes from
                          the kitchen to the forecastle?

                          If you can read these drawing any better than I, let me know what you see.

                          YIBB,

                          David

                          >I have commented on this before. We get a lot of transient cruisers (SE
                          >AK), many of them large (35'-55') auxiliary cruisers. I fly for a living
                          >and I bet I see less than 5% with any sail up. It is subject for amazed
                          >comment in the cockpit as in "look at that one, they have the sails up!"
                          >In a normal summer I will only see 2-3 sailboats actually sailing.
                          >
                          >HJ
                          >
                          >Hal Lynch wrote:
                          >>

                          >> For some time now I have noticed in publications such as MAIB that in
                          >> most of the articles involving sail boats with auxiliaries the auxiliary
                          >> seems to be used as much or more the sails. It seems to me that a
                          >> boat optimized for power would be more useful most of the time.
                          >>
                          >> hal
                          >>
                          >> --
                          >

                          >Bolger rules!!!
                          >- pls take "personals" off-list, stay on topic, and punctuate
                          >- add your comments at the TOP and SIGN your posts, snip all you like
                          >- To order plans: Mr. Philip C. Bolger, P.O. Box 1209, Gloucester,
                          >MA, 01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

                          C.E.P.
                          134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
                          New York, New York 10001
                          http://www.crumblingempire.com
                          (212) 247-0296
                        • sctree
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 2, 2002
                            David,

                            I think under the aft deck is tankage?

                            The mastersuite is below the offset deckhouse, which hangs down into
                            the mastersuite, meaning no standing headroom there. The corridor to
                            get from galley forward has full headroom and it seems that a bearing
                            wall separates it from the master, carrying the port side of the
                            deckhouse down to the hull bottom.

                            Leastwise that's what I see.

                            Best way for us all to find out is, you buy the plans, build her, and
                            send photos!

                            Rick

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                            > C.E.P.
                            > 134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
                            > New York, New York 10001
                            > http://www.crumblingempire.com
                            > (212) 247-0296
                          • brucehallman
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                              --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:

                              > 1) Is the area under the after deck reserved for anything in
                              particular?

                              The PB&F plans call that area a "Hold". I imagine it as where I
                              would store my bicycle, and other junk.

                              > 2) Is there any privacy for the master bed when someone passes from
                              > the kitchen to the forecastle?

                              No, I don't think there is anything other than perhaps a curtain.
                              The PB&F commentary describes the bunks being for visits from the
                              grandchildren, which presumably would not happen every week.
                            • David Ryan
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                                >> 2) Is there any privacy for the master bed when someone passes from
                                >> the kitchen to the forecastle?
                                >
                                >No, I don't think there is anything other than perhaps a curtain.
                                >The PB&F commentary describes the bunks being for visits from the
                                >grandchildren, which presumably would not happen every week.

                                I suppose I could reduce the size of the king bed to a queen or even
                                a full to pick up a little room for a solid partition. And a smaller
                                bed would make it hard for my wife to get away from me!

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                                  --- In bolger@y..., David Ryan <david@c...> wrote:
                                  > I suppose I could reduce the size of the king bed to a queen

                                  The size of the bed is determined by the size of the pilot house
                                  floor [causing low headroom] from above. Though I am sure you could
                                  figure out a way to make a door, it just wouldn't be full height.
                                • thomas dalzell
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 3, 2002
                                    I always liked Jim Browns comments regarding the
                                    anvil chorus: "They always say they wanted a really
                                    big boat, so they could carry a lot of gas, for their
                                    engine" Words he hears while ghosting along in his
                                    tri. Does raise the issue of the Yanmar Endevour. A
                                    35' trimaran, that outboarded it accross the Pacific.
                                    Low resistance is where it is at.

                                    >I have commented on this before. We get a lot of
                                    transient cruisers (SE<BR>
                                    AK), many of them large (35'-55') auxiliary cruisers.
                                    I fly for a living<BR>
                                    and I bet I see less than 5% with any sail up.