Re: Michigan Messabout

  • pseudodion3
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2001
      Bob -- excellent point about the water temperature. Heck, even down
      this way the water does not really warm up until mid-August if we are
      lucky. Just this last summer my wife, Terry, and I went strolling
      along the Lake Michigan shore in mid-late July and I swear the water
      temp was in the mid-upper 50's. It took me walking around on hot sand
      for 15 minutes before I could feel my feet again!
      Maybe we could settle on a large inland lake -- we have more
      than 10,000 to choose from. These would offer a warmer dunk if
      circumstances warrant.

      Dennis Marshall, Grand Rapids, MI

      --- In bolger@y..., "rdchamberland" <cha62759@t...> wrote:
      > Late June or July sounds good to me. I can recommend Suttons Bay as
      > venue though after the fourth rooms get scarce. There is a State
      > campground north of Northport but a rocky beach. If the timing is
      > right and the crowd not too large I might be able to host campers
      > though sanitation would be a portipotty (commercial variety) and
      > garden hose. There may be a "Wooden Boat Festival" in the Village of
      > Suttons Bay in that time span also. This past year it was cancelled
      > because of construction of a new fishing dock at the usual site.
      (This
      > is not the usual swarm of shiny Chris-Crafts and Gar Woods etc but a
      > very eclectic mix of boats including a Bolger box at times. There
      > might be a CC or two but this is not an event of the Antique Boat
      > Society whatever its name is. I had intended to go the Saginaw event
      > last summer but visitors obtruded. It looked to me that that event
      was
      > heavy on kayaks. You would not want to get dunked in early June; by
      > the fourth the water is warming up (sort of).
      > Bob Chamberland
      >

      > --- In bolger@y..., Vince and Mary Ann Chew <vachew@v...> wrote:
      > > Sounds like a winner. There was one in St. Ignace a few years
      back and
      > > some kind of a get together in the Saginaw/Bay City area the past
      couple
      > > of years. I went to St. Ignace, but haven't been to the
      Saginaw/Bay City
      > > one. Where do you have in mind?
      > >
      > > Vince Chew
      > > Charlevoix
      > >
      > > Dennis Marshall, Grand Rapids, MI Wrote
      > >
      > > .................... P.S. Sorry for the slightly off topic
      message,
      > > folks. If I find a few
      > > more Michiganians, might be able to put
      together a