Re: [bolger] Re: All Afloat: Launching Surf

  • vicskiff
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2001
      The Surf rows quite well indeed. With relatively little wetted surface for
      friction, she just skims along. We didn't go head-to-head but I'm certain
      that the Surf is faster to get to speed and requires less muscle effort (but
      more finess) to maintain a steady speed than the Tender Craft.
      On the other hand, the Surf is more jittery -- more prone to pivot on
      its axis -- because of its rockered, flat bottom and lack of a skeg (or even
      a kick-up rudder at this stage).With its flat shoe, skeg and additional
      draft and weight, the Tender Craft is more stable in a moderate blow. I
      haven't tried either in a heavy blow but I should imagine the advantage
      would swing even more to the Tender Craft.
      Of course, the Surf is primarily intended as my sailing boat for Portage
      Inlet and we've had some very nice days for it of late but, sadly, because
      of home and seasonal pressures (plus my wife's ill-health), I got stalled on
      rigging her. However, thanks to some spruce sticks provided by Jamie, I'm
      hoping to get started soon and be able to post pics in a few weeks. Then I
      have another boat (or three) in mind to build...

      --John E.