Sailing a Micro (newbie)

  • robertsmme
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 28, 2001
      I have just purchase a 2nd hand micro, and was wondering if any one
      could give me tips on sailing one. I live on a tidal estuary, The
      Deben in eastern England and would appreciate any help and piinters
      that people can give. I am concerned about two things in particular:

      1) As the rear bulkhead was not adjusted for a larger motor the motor
      has been put on a bracket behind the rear bulkhead. This means
      reaching it is going to be difficult. Any tips on either remotely
      controlling the motor or on adjusting the rear bulk head to
      accomodate the larger motor.

      2) Attaching the Bow to a mooring or anchor. Do you attach them
      through the 'ladder' holes or over the bow gunnel?
      Thanks
    • ellengaestboatbuildingcom
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 28, 2001
        --- In bolger@y..., "robertsmme" <martin.me.roberts@b...> wrote:
        > I have just purchase a 2nd hand micro, and was wondering if any one
        > could give me tips on sailing one. I live on a tidal estuary, The
        > Deben in eastern England and would appreciate any help and piinters
        > that people can give. I am concerned about two things in
        particular:

        > 1) As the rear bulkhead was not adjusted for a larger motor the
        motor
        > has been put on a bracket behind the rear bulkhead. This means
        > reaching it is going to be difficult. Any tips on either remotely
        > controlling the motor or on adjusting the rear bulk head to
        > accomodate the larger motor.
        >
        > 2) Attaching the Bow to a mooring or anchor. Do you attach them
        > through the 'ladder' holes or over the bow gunnel?
        > Thanks

        Hello Lucky Micro owner,
        When you say the transom was not adjusted for a larger motor,are
        you refering to the vertical dimension? If so,then the easy solution
        is to cut out the top section over the opening and install a
        traveller horse.You can also widen the opening a wee bit too,if that
        is tight.
        As to the anchoring question,I resolved mine through the
        installation of a hawse pipe located between to two step cut-outs.
        Hopefully,other satisfied Micro owners will chime in with other
        solutions to ensure trouble free use of your boat!

        Sincerely,
        Peter Lenihan,happy Micro owner................
      • dbaldnz
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 28, 2001
          Good luck with your Micro.
          1. My motor hit the beam across the top too. I cut the middle
          section of beam out, and put a strut both sides back to the
          bulkhead. This worked fine, and gives an easy step-thru boarding
          access from the dinghy, when the motor is not in place.
          2. I think there may be a time when you want to free your mooring
          rope completely and quickly, and not a good idea to have it through a
          permanent port.
          I fixed a strong ply breasthook on top, connecting the bow transom to
          the gunwales, and fitted a roller fitting with release pin to the
          front, and a large mooring cleat on the top of cabin bulkhead, offset
          so rope misses the mast. This setup worked without fault on a
          terribly exposed mooring.
          DonB

          --- In bolger@y..., "robertsmme" <martin.me.roberts@b...> wrote:
          > I have just purchase a 2nd hand micro, and was wondering if any one
          > could give me tips on sailing one. I live on a tidal estuary, The
          > Deben in eastern England and would appreciate any help and piinters
          > that people can give. I am concerned about two things in
          particular:

          > 1) As the rear bulkhead was not adjusted for a larger motor the
          motor
          > has been put on a bracket behind the rear bulkhead. This means
          > reaching it is going to be difficult. Any tips on either remotely
          > controlling the motor or on adjusting the rear bulk head to
          > accomodate the larger motor.
          >
          > 2) Attaching the Bow to a mooring or anchor. Do you attach them
          > through the 'ladder' holes or over the bow gunnel?
          > Thanks
        • Andrew Pryer
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 29, 2001
            G'day
            re : your problem with out board motor

            I was up against the same problem tryng to fit my outboard into the Long
            Micro I am building. I got around it by introducing a curve to the top of
            the transom this gained me about 2 inches or more.
            You can see what I have done at the the website I'm putting together ( just
            updated )

            I'm as interested as you regarding other's suggestions for mooring lines
            etc.

            Good luck with sorting it out.
            My website at http://members.tripod.com/rivalduke site has lots of
            construction pictures and takes awhile to load

            Thanks Andrew Pryer
            Victoria
            Australia

            > > I have just purchase a 2nd hand micro, and was wondering if any one
            > > could give me tips on sailing one. I live on a tidal estuary, The
            > > Deben in eastern England and would appreciate any help and piinters
            > > that people can give. I am concerned about two things in
            > particular:
            > >
            > > 1) As the rear bulkhead was not adjusted for a larger motor the
            > motor
            > > has been put on a bracket behind the rear bulkhead. This means
            > > reaching it is going to be difficult. Any tips on either remotely
            > > controlling the motor or on adjusting the rear bulk head to
            > > accomodate the larger motor.
            > >
            > > 2) Attaching the Bow to a mooring or anchor. Do you attach them
            > > through the 'ladder' holes or over the bow gunnel?
            > > Thanks
            >

            > Hello Lucky Micro owner,
            > When you say the transom was not adjusted for a larger motor,are
            > you refering to the vertical dimension? If so,then the easy solution
            > is to cut out the top section over the opening and install a
            > traveller horse.You can also widen the opening a wee bit too,if that
            > is tight.
            > As to the anchoring question,I resolved mine through the
            > installation of a hawse pipe located between to two step cut-outs.
            > Hopefully,other satisfied Micro owners will chime in with other
            > solutions to ensure trouble free use of your boat!
            >
            > Sincerely,
            > Peter Lenihan,happy Micro owner................

            01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

          • dnjost
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 29, 2001
              Robert,
              I solved the problem by purchasing a motor that fits in the hole.
              I found a 4hp 1973 Evinrude Yachtwin with a 20" shaft that fits it
              perfectly. The funny thing is, I owned one of these up until about 2
              years prior to starting my Micro. It is a great motor and easy to
              service and maintain. (now, to find a new impeller and spark plugs)

              I have had to unwrap Micro twice this season due to curious
              onlookers. People can't get enough of her. I wish it was about 40
              degrees warmer so I could work on her.

              For a bow strap, you could take a piece of stainless pipe or rod, and
              bend it around the sides near the water line. and attach the mooring
              line / trailer cable to that. I am just going to make it fast to the
              mast through the holes in the bow transom, or through a hawser like
              Peter did (very shippy, that). Wrapping the mooring line with garden
              hose and chaffing tape works quite well.

              David Jost
              "not enjoying a snowless New England winter, Maybe time to take up
              hard water sailing"
              > 1) As the rear bulkhead was not adjusted for a larger motor the
              motor
              > has been put on a bracket behind the rear bulkhead. This means
              > reaching it is going to be difficult. Any tips on either remotely
              > controlling the motor or on adjusting the rear bulk head to
              > accomodate the larger motor.
              >
              > 2) Attaching the Bow to a mooring or anchor. Do you attach them
              > through the 'ladder' holes or over the bow gunnel?
              > Thanks
            • Phillip & Isabella
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 30, 2001

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/