Bolger boats in WoodenBoat

  • s_paskey
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 23, 2001
      I haven't seen it yet, but it looks like the January/February 2002
      issue of WB will include an article by Mike O'Brien on some of
      Bolger's designs. Here's the first page:

      http://www.woodenboat.com/164050.jpg

      Steve Paskey
    • wmrpage@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 27, 2001
        In a message dated 12/23/01 7:36:07 PM Central Standard Time,
        stephen@... writes:

        > I haven't seen it yet, but it looks like the January/February 2002
        > issue of WB will include an article by Mike O'Brien on some of
        > Bolger's designs.

        There is a very nice portfolio of 12 "non-boxy" Bolger designs in WB #164 -
        "Swift", Design No. 489, has a "hogged rabbet" which is food for thought.
        (i.e. I don't have a clue about what to make of it as a design concept!) (but
        it sure has me thinking!)

        Pages 44-46 comprise an article by Lang Warren (admirably illustrated by
        Kathy Bray) regarding the construction of a "rotating daggerboard". This
        seems to me to be very clever and, if the author can be trusted, actually
        works as intended! This certainly seems a much better arrangement than the
        sacrificial "crush boxes" provided for in some designs for daggerboards (not
        by Bolger, to my knowledge). Is it possible that this innovation is
        something that "Captain Nat" Herreshoff didn't anticipate 100 years ago? If
        so, it must be one of the few real conceptual novelties to be developed in
        the interim. It combines the short trunk and efficient foil of a daggerboard
        with at least some of the virtues of a centerboard.

        Ciao for Niao,
        Bill in (no longer semi-tropical) MN

      • John Bell
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 28, 2001
          I keep coming back to Swift. What a great boat! Makes me want to buy a
          lottery ticket. I'd love to see the deck arrangement, though. Has this one
          ever been published anywhere else?

          JB