More on Windsprint

  • henrybunch
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 11, 2001
      Hello all,

      Was checking out MY/JB's Windsprint today. BTW JB; it's still in as
      good a shape as you gave it to me. I've kept her dry. Still have the
      daggarboard & Rudder.

      My Cousin-in-law Joe across the state informed me today he has a Surf-
      board mast i can have for my Windsprint. It doesn't have a sail but
      all the hardware is there. Just have to jury rig a polytarp sail i
      guess. Anyone use a Surfboard mast on a Windsprint, June-Bug, or
      Teal? Work ok?

      Just have to get out and check out that vinyal bed liner or Asphault
      sealer & price.

      Plan on painting her RED hull, Yellow trim, Light Brown interior.
      Call her Frank-N-Furter (Sorry John!) Tee Hee...
      Well off to "Systems Analysis & Design". Made a +96 on my mid term!

      Larry Henry
    • David Ryan
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 11, 2001
        >My Cousin-in-law Joe across the state informed me today he has a Surf-
        >board mast i can have for my Windsprint. It doesn't have a sail but
        >all the hardware is there. Just have to jury rig a polytarp sail i
        >guess. Anyone use a Surfboard mast on a Windsprint, June-Bug, or
        >Teal? Work ok?

        I've been using a windsurfer sail on my teal with a 7.5 meter sail. Works great

        C.E.P.
        134 West 26th St. 12th Floor
        New York, New York 10001
        http://www.crumblingempire.com
        (212) 247-0296
      • sals_dad
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 12, 2001
          > My Cousin-in-law Joe across the state informed me today he has a
          Surf-
          > board mast i can have for my Windsprint. It doesn't have a sail but
          > all the hardware is there. Just have to jury rig a polytarp sail i
          > guess. Anyone use a Surfboard mast on a Windsprint, June-Bug, or
          > Teal? Work ok?

          I tried an old windsurfer rig on my daughter's new aluminum Teal this
          fall. Works pretty well, but the boom is kind of high for good
          control with the sheet. The masts are great, and you should be able
          to find an old sail cheaper than you can make one out of polytarp.

          Curtis
        • steelcb
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 12, 2001
            Larry,

            If memory serves (I don't have my copy here at work) Dynamite Payson
            says in "Build the New Instant Boats" that he originally built the
            first Windsprint hull, which was designed as half a catamaran, to try
            out his Windsurfer sail.

            I think I remember he said it worked well, but I think he said
            Windsprint didn't steer well by shifting one's weight around like on
            a board.

            Tom P.

            > guess. Anyone use a Surfboard mast on a Windsprint, June-Bug, or
            > Teal? Work ok?

          • nasplundh
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 13, 2001
              Some time ago, there was a sharpie (not sure if it was a Bolger
              design or not)for sale in MAIB. It had a ketch rig, made up from twin
              sailboard masts/sails.

              If memory serves me, it was June Bug on which Payson was testing his
              windsurfer rig; Windsprint was a test bed for a catamaran with bow
              rudder, which apparently did not work well.

              --- In bolger@y..., "steelcb" <steelcb@y...> wrote:
              > Larry,
              >
              > If memory serves (I don't have my copy here at work) Dynamite
              Payson
              > says in "Build the New Instant Boats" that he originally built the
              > first Windsprint hull, which was designed as half a catamaran, to
              try
              > out his Windsurfer sail.
              >
              > I think I remember he said it worked well, but I think he said
              > Windsprint didn't steer well by shifting one's weight around like
              on
              > a board.
              >
              > Tom P.
              >

              > > guess. Anyone use a Surfboard mast on a Windsprint, June-Bug, or
              > > Teal? Work ok?

            • input_filter2000
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 13, 2001
                Not Catamaran, catboat.
                Query was the name and it was in BWOAM.
                It had the rudder in the bow, and the writeup said that it had too
                much lee helm.

                With the control surface ahead of the pivot, I would think that it
                would have a tendancy to want to turn either direction and a sever
                dislike of going straight-- the rudder would tend to flop.

                DGO

                PS webwasher can take care of the ads. Many ads. Makes pages load a
                lot faster for those of us on bandwidth-challenged links too: no more
                waiting for ad images, or annoying pop-ups.

                www.webwasher.com

                --- In bolger@y..., "nasplundh" <nasplundh@y...> wrote:
                > Some time ago, there was a sharpie (not sure if it was a Bolger
                > design or not)for sale in MAIB. It had a ketch rig, made up from
                twin
                > sailboard masts/sails.
                >
                > If memory serves me, it was June Bug on which Payson was testing his
                > windsurfer rig; Windsprint was a test bed for a catamaran with bow
                > rudder, which apparently did not work well.
                >
                > --- In bolger@y..., "steelcb" <steelcb@y...> wrote:
                > > Larry,
                > >
                > > If memory serves (I don't have my copy here at work) Dynamite
                > Payson
                > > says in "Build the New Instant Boats" that he originally built the
                > > first Windsprint hull, which was designed as half a catamaran, to
                > try
                > > out his Windsurfer sail.
                > >
                > > I think I remember he said it worked well, but I think he said
                > > Windsprint didn't steer well by shifting one's weight around like
                > on
                > > a board.
                > >
                > > Tom P.
                > >

                > > > guess. Anyone use a Surfboard mast on a Windsprint, June-Bug, or
                > > > Teal? Work ok?

              • steelcb
                Message 7 of 7 , Dec 20, 2001
                  Collectively, I think you guys are correct and I'm not. Thanks for
                  setting that one straight.

                  Tom P