Re: DOUBLE EAGLE

  • timothy@ennui.net
    Message 1 of 36 , Dec 2, 2001
      --- In bolger@y..., thomas dalzell <proaconstrictor@y...> wrote:
      > You are absolutely right about the size. One friend
      > of mine had a 35+ footer than was a large platform,
      > but didn't really have much accomodations to speak of,
      > not really nice places to live. Another friend built
      > a 23 footer, and it had less useable space than the
      > Light Dory. Well maybe not, though both dories and 23'
      > wharrams have crossed oceans.

      Thats what I was considering, since I got the sense from the original
      poster that he was concerned about accomodation and comfort, and not
      as much about speed. And.. lots of things have crossed oceans.. heh. I
      wouldn't want to have been in all of them though. :)

      > I know one thing, a boat capable of speed is a great
      > thing. The KHSD 30' tri is a real speed machine you
      > can scare the $%%& out of windsurfers, by overtaking
      > them in a stiff breeze. That's not a bad deal, since
      > the more time you spend on a crossing the more time
      > the weather has to catch you.

      Woo. A tri that can outsail windsurfers. :) I like that.

      I still like Ross Turner's designs though. Cheap, sizeable, and
      reasonably proven. Easy to build. And bonus for the fact that he is a
      guy who loves boats and is not affecting any sort of philosophical
      stance. Read his bullet list about 'Modern' cats. You'll get a
      chuckle. He's basically a sailor guy who decided to do it himself, and
      did it pretty well.

      AFA Wharram's designs being questionable, I was considering that they
      are pretty damn stable platforms in a blow, and if you have a sea
      anchor out in a bad storm, you could survive almost anything in one of
      them, given the slim hulls.

      But, then again, I'd rather be at my next port, or not have gone out
      to begin with. ;) And also, given a good sea anchor, you could ride
      out almost any storm in almost any conditions with almost any
      reasonably designed cat. They just won't all be as comfortable as a
      slim, deep V hulled cat in those conditions.

      But I think Phil has something there with the cutwaters on the Double
      Eagle. With those, if they eliminate most of the pounding problems
      with flat bottomed cats, you could have a really nice place to go from
      for an ocean going cat, design wise. The Double Eagle is NOT an ocean
      going cat though.. Phil said that himself. It was designed for
      expeditionary charter use in glacier bay (semi sheltered waters) and
      will probably pound mercilessly in high seas.

      Perhaps a slightly tapered hull, still flat bottomed... higher bridge
      deck clearance... 1.5 length/beam... hmm.

      If I wanted one, I think I'd send Phil a check though, rather than
      design it myself. :)

      --T
    • Dave Big Tiddles
      Message 36 of 36 , Dec 15, 2007
        Hi mark........... Yeah, we know Rory, who built 'cookie' & subsequently sailed her around the world........ He completed his circumnavigation at the same Wharram meeting we attended, having sailed from the Caribbean........... we didn't get the trophy for 'greatest distance sailed'...... he did!
        Big Tiddles & Cookie are the same concept, originating from discussions in SW England in 1990-92 there's one other 'sister-ship' out there someplace......... another Tiki21-derivative called 'Chiquita', built by another mate......... so that's one 32footer & two 21footers.
        regards, Dave.

        mark hamill <mhamill1@...> wrote:
        Hi: The name of the Tiki 21 that sailed around the world was "Cookie"
        and the circumnavigation was chronicled in the PCA magazine "Sea
        People"

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bigtiddles69" <bigtiddles69@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Brian......... I see this is a pretty old post, but if you're
        > still interested, i'm the original owner & co-builder of BIG TIDDLES
        > .... she's 32feet, & we lived on her for 12 years or so, covering
        > 40,000 miles or so, & 4 Atlantic crossings.......... get in touch,
        if
        > you want any more info....... always happy to yarn about boats!
        > Cheers... Dave.
        >
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Vickers" <Brianv@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The Tiki 21 that circumnavigated was call "Cooking Fat", Cookie
        for
        > short
        > >
        > > Big Tiddles is a Tiki 26 (I think)

        PCA
        > group
        > > >
        > > > http://www.pca-
        > seapeople.org/pca/index.html
        > > >
        > > > And yes a Wharram "Tiki 21" has sailed around the
        > world. I
        > > > believe she was called "BIG TIDDLIES".
        > > >
        > > > Aloha - Jack
        Spoering -