Design Software

  • amoore@hfx.eastlink.ca
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
      Hello anyone, Mark, ...

      I have been following this group for about a month now and have
      participated in the discussions on Double Eagle and Anhinga. I have
      noticed numerous comments on design software like Plyboats, Hull
      Designer; I'm a Linux user and was wondering if anyone knows of a good
      program available for Linux. I would be interested in free software
      or commercial. By the way UNIX software is often wrighten for Linux,
      so if you know of any programs for UNIX this maybe good too.

      Many Thanks
      Andy
    • Mark Albanese
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
        Andy,

        While there's a choice of CAD programs for your system, I
        don't know of any boat design packages running directly
        under Linux, ( which is not to say it doesn't exist ). I
        was in the same boat until learning to run Windows in a
        window of my Macintosh. Now I have a MacWintosh!

        You can do that too. There are both DOS and Windows
        emulators for your system. You only need DOS for Plyboats.
        Hull Designer must need Windows.

        Mark

        snip
      • amoore@hfx.eastlink.ca
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
          --- In bolger@y..., Mark Albanese <marka@o...> wrote:
          > Andy,
          >
          > While there's a choice of CAD programs for your system, I
          > don't know of any boat design packages running directly
          > under Linux, ( which is not to say it doesn't exist ). I
          > was in the same boat until learning to run Windows in a
          > window of my Macintosh. Now I have a MacWintosh!
          >
          > You can do that too. There are both DOS and Windows
          > emulators for your system. You only need DOS for Plyboats.
          > Hull Designer must need Windows.
          >
          > Mark

          Thanks for the quick reply Mark. Yes I'm familar with the emulators,
          etc I find they don't always work well it kind of depends on the
          software. Plyboats might be ok, were it is dos based but I have run
          numerous windows programs in side an emulator called wine and they
          always cough and sputter. I suppose I could always run a dual boot
          system but I think I'll look around some more first. Thought maybe
          you could name one quick. Being a computer scientist I could go on
          for ever but this group is about boats and is suppose to be my break
          from work so back to boats.

          Thanks
          Andy
        • thomas dalzell
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
            With what most yacht design software costs, you could
            buy a new system to run Plyboats, or one of the free
            packages, or lower cost packages, more cheaply than
            you could buy a proffesional grade package to run on
            anything.
            --- amoore@... wrote:

            <

            Build your own website in minutes and for free at http://ca.geocities.com
          • Mark Albanese
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
              Sorry not to name one quickly...You probably know where to
              find the Sunsite.
              You' ll find that neither Plyboats or the Hull Designer ask
              much from your system.

              Mark

              snips
            • amoore@hfx.eastlink.ca
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
                Mark, it was just a shot, no appology needed. Maybe I'll write one
                what would you like to see in Design Software, Any one?

                Thanks anyway
                Andy
              • Mark Albanese
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
                  Yeh. But to see one download your MAXSURF for Mac or Windows
                  demo at
                  http://www.formsys.com/Maxsurf/MSIndex.html

                  They were also kind enough to send me a cd.

                  Mark

                  thomas dalzell wrote:

                  > With what most yacht design software costs, you could
                  > buy a new system to run Plyboats, or one of the free
                  > packages, or lower cost packages, more cheaply than
                  > you could buy a proffesional grade package to run on
                  > anything.
                • Mark Albanese
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 2, 2001
                    I'd like to input existing offsets in the same format that's
                    normally seen: 3-5-2, for feet, inches and eighths.
                    Give it a nicer, modern interface.
                    Find a way to place the weight, so you can observe the
                    genuine trim.

                    If you're looking to build it yourself Andy, you also should
                    also look at this work in progress
                    http://ants.dif.um.es/~humberto/sdn/sdn.html
                    The Mac version crashes me every time. The Win is not so
                    good looking, but may work for people better.

                    Mark

                    amoore@... wrote:

                    snips
                    >Maybe I'll write one
                    > what would you like to see in Design Software, Any one?
                  • Derek Waters
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 3, 2001
                      Hi Andy

                      Plyboats and Hullform are great for testing something already designed, but
                      IMO only Gregg's Chine Hull Designer comes close to being a good sketching
                      tool. Mybe one way to go would be to use an existing modelling package and
                      add on such hydrostatics etc as you wanted. Rhino is on Linux, I believe.
                      Maybe there are lower cost packages I don't know about...

                      Anyway, here's a wishlist:

                      Option for input/output as table of offsets.
                      Basic 3D modeller - probably a NURBS surface toolset.
                      Assignment of mass - possibly a single point but ideally multiple masses,
                      with the program doing the work of summing and centring.
                      2 visible layers, allowing superimposition of a new design over a previous
                      one, or reworking with better modelling.
                      Conic projections as a modelling tool - grab the apex and drag to sculpt.
                      Zoom, Pan and Orbit in viewports.

                      Is that enough to keep you going? Plenty more where those came from :)

                      Cheers
                      Derek
                    • Pete Staehling
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 3, 2001
                        --- In bolger@y..., amoore@h... wrote:
                        > Thanks for the quick reply Mark. Yes I'm familar with the
                        emulators,
                        > etc I find they don't always work well it kind of depends on the
                        > software.

                        VM Ware will run just about any windows based program under Linux.
                        It requires LOTS of RAM and does cost something (I forget how much,
                        my company paid for mine). I think there is a free non crippled demo
                        with a timeout, if I remember correctly.

                        It actually runs the whole operating system in a virtual machine and
                        will run any Intel OS. It does require that you have a copy of the
                        OS to install.

                        About the only thing that it couldn't handle on my system was cd
                        burning software. I have run AutoCAD flwlessly with it so I imagine
                        that it would run pretty much any boat design software.

                        Pete
                      • Harry W. James
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 5, 2001
                          The ability to expand panels, and expand panels for models probably my
                          favorite part of plyboats.

                          Import to a CAD program for interior and other design work.

                          HJ