Re: Anhinga

  • Mark Albanese
    Message 1 of 147 , Dec 2, 2001
      'Displacement Redoo'

      Put Anhinga's lines in Hull Designer. Besides enabling
      greater precision over Plyboats, it taught me something by
      giving a different set of returns on Anhinga's static
      righting moment.

      The 2400 lb boat came back the same 1450 ft. lb torque. The
      lighter, 1500 pound boat, isn't nearly so close anymore at
      975 ft. lb. Crudely, adding about half again the weight
      resulted in about half again the added righting force. Again
      though, it's an underestimate because of the zero ballast condition.

      Built in 3/8ths and ready to roam, Thomas, a 1799 pound
      Anhinga has 1153 ft. lb, still pretty close to a 1/4" one;
      yet say a helpful 20% improvement.

      BTW the boat's prismatic coefficient is .62. The D/L's about
      a hundred. Call mine 'Slipper.'
      Hull's three files are in the Anhinga folder at Bolger2.

      Thank you GHC.

      Mark
      Message 147 of 147 , Oct 11, 2009
        On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 6:53 PM, nonews35 <nonews35@...> wrote:

        > Have any Ahingas been built except the Sandy Bottoms one? Is the hull the same as BirdWatcher of is it slab sided? I'm looking to go with something like that or maybe a Martha Jane.
        >
        > Also, I like the idea of a lateen rig also like Zephyr so you can tow the boat to the nearby launch ramp fully rigged it the mast is short enough. Any ideas? I think you could make the mast 11' long and still be OK most places. The Zephyr mast is only 9' the Martha Janes is a bit too high.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Jeff

        The Sandy Bottoms is the only Anhinga built that I have heard about.
        The Anhinga is a remarkable design in that it is a spare, simple,
        'big' boat. I think it might make sense if what you want is a very
        easily achieved (quick build) trailerable 'oar power auxillary' camp
        cruiser.