Re: DOUBLE EAGLE

  • amoore@hfx.eastlink.ca
    Message 1 of 36 , Dec 2, 2001
      --- In bolger@y..., "John P Barker" <j.barker2@v...> wrote:
      > You mite look at:
      > www,wharram.com
      > Wharram is sort of the Bolger of multyhulls. The site is worth
      looking at and it does have cats in all lengths.
      > John

      John, I could not agree more. I am interested in Anhinga, Birdwatcher
      and some of Jim Michalak's designs. James Wharram designs have also
      caught my attention; they seem easy to build, stable and beachable.
      I'm interested in beach cruising and the Tiki designs look good for
      this, they have enough cabin to store some equipment safe and dry and
      provide a emergency place for a couple of people to get out of the
      weather.

      Anyone interested in home built multhulls should also consider the
      Woods Designs http://www.sailingcatamarans.com/ a little more
      complicated to build but still nice boats.

      Multihull designers have been doing the home built thing for years so
      I'm sure there are others. Multihulls like the sharpies and flaties
      were not generally accepted as safe pleasure boats as a result the
      designers and followers had to build thier own.

      This could be the start of new group, although I believe these small
      home built multihulls meet the spirit of this group.

      Andy
    • Dave Big Tiddles
      Message 36 of 36 , Dec 15, 2007
        Hi mark........... Yeah, we know Rory, who built 'cookie' & subsequently sailed her around the world........ He completed his circumnavigation at the same Wharram meeting we attended, having sailed from the Caribbean........... we didn't get the trophy for 'greatest distance sailed'...... he did!
        Big Tiddles & Cookie are the same concept, originating from discussions in SW England in 1990-92 there's one other 'sister-ship' out there someplace......... another Tiki21-derivative called 'Chiquita', built by another mate......... so that's one 32footer & two 21footers.
        regards, Dave.

        mark hamill <mhamill1@...> wrote:
        Hi: The name of the Tiki 21 that sailed around the world was "Cookie"
        and the circumnavigation was chronicled in the PCA magazine "Sea
        People"

        --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "bigtiddles69" <bigtiddles69@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi Brian......... I see this is a pretty old post, but if you're
        > still interested, i'm the original owner & co-builder of BIG TIDDLES
        > .... she's 32feet, & we lived on her for 12 years or so, covering
        > 40,000 miles or so, & 4 Atlantic crossings.......... get in touch,
        if
        > you want any more info....... always happy to yarn about boats!
        > Cheers... Dave.
        >
        > --- In bolger@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Vickers" <Brianv@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The Tiki 21 that circumnavigated was call "Cooking Fat", Cookie
        for
        > short
        > >
        > > Big Tiddles is a Tiki 26 (I think)

        PCA
        > group
        > > >
        > > > http://www.pca-
        > seapeople.org/pca/index.html
        > > >
        > > > And yes a Wharram "Tiki 21" has sailed around the
        > world. I
        > > > believe she was called "BIG TIDDLIES".
        > > >
        > > > Aloha - Jack
        Spoering -