Re: AS-29 and Micro Navigator Photo Update

  • booraleaboats@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
      hi Peter,

      Thanks for the positive feedback on the Micro Navigator and AS-29.

      I am also interested in finding out exactly where the waterline
      will end up on the Micro. The weight of the cabin and windows will
      sink her down somewhat but this may be compensated by the foam
      buildup at the bow. The keel does not have drain or vent holes
      which will increase buoyancy towards the aft end.

      At the moment it's all an inexact science!

      Are you the proud owner of the Micro "Lestat"? How do you find
      her re buoyancy, stability, performance etc?

      Matt

    • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
        Hello Matt,
        I am indeed the proud owner of LESTAT,at least until I sell
        her.Then I'll just be the heart-broken ex-owner relegated to a life of
        looking at fading pictures in a falling-apart photo album while
        driving my friends around the bend with old tales of
        the"greatest-little-yacht-that-ever-was".............
        I do not own a set of MICRO NAVIGATOR plans but suspect that
        where BOLGER has drawn his waterline for her will be very close.He is
        an excellent calculator of weights.This of course is provided the
        builder does not go way overboard with his scantlings! Judging by how
        very successful your AS-29 came out and the wonderful job you're doing
        on your NAVIGATOR,raising the waterline by an inch would do no harm
        and will be very very close to right-on the mark.
        As to the extra weight you refer to,it may not be that much as it
        will be the net difference between the basic MICRO model.That is,the
        roof structure pretty much weighs the same for the two as do the
        interior elements like the berth flats etc...so it is just the framing
        stock for the windows and the windows themselves which are additional
        weight.Based on my own MICRO experience,which I built with only
        slightly larger scantlings and the fact that I carry around a ton of
        cruising gear,she nevertheless floats to her marks!
        Regarding her"bouyancy,stability,performance etc",I can only give
        you a subjective reply.Judging by the way she bounces around in
        powerboat wakes,while motoring,leads me to conclude that she is very
        buoyant and picks it up rapidly due to her all-out-all-square shape.No
        flared sides to"gradually"pick up buoyance here! With a bit of weight
        in the wind however,she rides steady(and predictably) over wake and
        waves feeling like a much bigger boat then she really is.Stability? In
        a word;amazing! I have yet to get her down to the rub rail and God
        knows I've been caught out in some pretty wild conditions that had me
        questioning my own sanity(not that it ever took long to arrive at a
        simple one word answer to that one ;-) ) For your own tranquilty of
        spirit,you may wish to try the following come launch day: gather up
        the launch day crowd and have them stand/sit on the edge of the boat
        once launched.See how many you can crowd onto the same side.Then,stand
        back and let yourself be baffled as you gaze at the still visible
        rub-rail clear of the water!Now ask yourself how many people do you
        normally expect to go sailing with............
        Performance wise,I am more then pleased with my MICRO,especially
        in the 15 to 20 knot wind speeds and even greater with a reef tossed
        in.She appears to handle lighter stuff well but this has always been a
        tough one for me to accurately gaudge as I sail on a river with a
        steady 1.5 to 2 knot current. The rig proposed for the NAVIGATOR is
        one with which I have no experience and thus cannot effectively
        comment on.
        All in all,the MICRO exceeded all of my expectations and provided
        me with a wonderful little platform to live out many a childhood
        dream/fantasy.To fully appreciated her,one has to use her alot,in all
        sorts of conditions/scenarios and then recall that she is just
        15'6.I know I have done some rather silly things with her and
        frightened myself stupid but I never once doubted LESTATs ability to
        take care of me and save my sorry ass.The memories will remain forever
        cherished in soul.
        I look forward to reading about your construction process and
        later on your sailing adventures with your NAVIGATOR.I hope she
        provides you with as much happiness and joy as my MICRO did/does for
        me!

        Sincerely,
        Peter Lenihan,afloat in a sea of nostalgia,from the shores of the