Re: 5200-keel connection

  • Tom Kremer
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
      > I was wondering if anyone had any luck with building something
      > like a Micro keel with ferrocement and attaching it with 5200?
      >
      > Thanks
      > Mat

      Mat:

      I recently ran onto a situation in a kitchen where someone had used
      construction adhesive to glue a large thin granite slab to a wall above
      a granite countertop. Of course given the surface area being glued and
      the weight of the stone the adhesive was more than strong enough to
      support it.... when it failed (in dramatic fashion) what happened was
      that the outer paper layer simply separated off the drywall and crashed
      down with the granite and the still-intact glue layer.

      So yes, the 5200 might hold, but will the outer skin on the bottom of
      the boat be strong enough to support everything or will it fail by
      stripping off a layer of fiberglass or perhaps delaminating the
      plywood? Keel bolts serve to spread the stress into structural members.

      Tom K
    • djost@ma.ultranet.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
        tom,

        The Micro keel is very strong as designed.
        It is attached to a 1.5"X1.5" batten that is through bolted to
        the hull. Plywood faces are also on either side of it and nailed and
        glued to both the batten and the keel. In order for it to fail, the
        bottom of the boat would need to come off.
        I had relatively little trouble installing my keel on the
        micro. It was just a little tough working alone. The plans suggest
        building a box, then raising the casting into the box, or lowering
        the boat onto the casting. Either way is difficult. This is where
        keel bolts would have come in handy. I would have been able to line
        the bolts up with the holes in the keel batten and then once aligned,
        gradually snug up the nuts on top until the keel was held securely,
        then fastening the plywood sheathing could be done in an orderly and
        meticulous manner, plently of glue, plenty of nails, plenty of time.
        Just my two cent worth here, having been through it once.
        I have also glassed with 6oz fiberglass set in epoxy the entire
        casting assembly, in essence I have created a keel that has a ballast
        casting set into it. It is sealed to prevent water from getting in
        and attacking the keel batten. I have also sealed up all wood
        members with two coats of epoxy.
        Today, I applied fairing compound to the whole keel assembly and
        will finish the glass tape along the bottom (protects the edge of the
        ply and provides additional grounding protection) on the next warm
        day.

        David Jost

        "67 degrees F. in Boston today! A great day for building boats!on
        December 1st."

        > the boat be strong enough to support everything or will it fail by
        > stripping off a layer of fiberglass or perhaps delaminating the
        > plywood? Keel bolts serve to spread the stress into structural
        members.

        > Tom K
      • John S Harper
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
          I can't see the motivation behind eliminating keel bolts.

          Use keel bolts to hold the keel and spread the stresses. Use 5200 to keep
          everything dry and for a little extra insurance.

          You're adding ballast, what's a few more bolts?

          Tom Kremer <tkremer@...> on 12/01/2001 01:12:21 PM

          Please respond to bolger@yahoogroups.com

          To: bolger@yahoogroups.com
          cc:
          Subject: [bolger] Re: 5200-keel connection

          > I was wondering if anyone had any luck with building something
          > like a Micro keel with ferrocement and attaching it with 5200?
          >
          > Thanks
          > Mat

          Mat:

          I recently ran onto a situation in a kitchen where someone had used
          construction adhesive to glue a large thin granite slab to a wall above
          a granite countertop. Of course given the surface area being glued and
          the weight of the stone the adhesive was more than strong enough to
          support it.... when it failed (in dramatic fashion) what happened was
          that the outer paper layer simply separated off the drywall and crashed
          down with the granite and the still-intact glue layer.

          So yes, the 5200 might hold, but will the outer skin on the bottom of
          the boat be strong enough to support everything or will it fail by
          stripping off a layer of fiberglass or perhaps delaminating the
          plywood? Keel bolts serve to spread the stress into structural members.

          Tom K

          Bolger rules!!!
          01930, Fax: (978) 282-1349

        • pvanderw@optonline.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
            > I can't see the motivation behind eliminating keel bolts.

            As Joel White said in a different context, keel bolts are no place to
            skimp on costs.

            PHV