AS-29 and Micro Navigator Photo Update

  • booraleaboats@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 25, 2001
      hi all,

      New photos of AS-29 and Micro Navigator are available at:

      http://members.fortunecity.com/booraleaboats/index.html

      AS-29 photos show internal details, and some exterior shots.

      Micro Navigator is sloooowly progressing due to financial
      constraints and the demands of living on a farm.

      Matt
      booraleaboats@...
    • ellengaest@boatbuilding.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 26, 2001
        Matt,
        Thanks for the wonderful start to my work week.......your pictures
        are fantastic!! And the details of the AS-29 are beautiful!! I hope
        you find some lucky buyer soon.
        I look forward to seeing where exactly the waterline for your
        NAVIGATOR will be.Any effort to mitigate the slapping of wavelettes
        will greatly enhance your over-all comfort.
        Your NAVIGATOR,when finished,will surely serve as the benchmark
        furure builders should aim for! Excellent craftmanship!!!
        Sincerely,
        Peter Lenihan,envious of the apparently mild(tropical?) work site you
        have,from the not so nice shores of the St.Lawrence..........

      • booraleaboats@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2001
          hi Peter,

          Thanks for the positive feedback on the Micro Navigator and AS-29.

          I am also interested in finding out exactly where the waterline
          will end up on the Micro. The weight of the cabin and windows will
          sink her down somewhat but this may be compensated by the foam
          buildup at the bow. The keel does not have drain or vent holes
          which will increase buoyancy towards the aft end.

          At the moment it's all an inexact science!

          Are you the proud owner of the Micro "Lestat"? How do you find
          her re buoyancy, stability, performance etc?

          Matt

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2001
            Hello Matt,
            I am indeed the proud owner of LESTAT,at least until I sell
            her.Then I'll just be the heart-broken ex-owner relegated to a life of
            looking at fading pictures in a falling-apart photo album while
            driving my friends around the bend with old tales of
            the"greatest-little-yacht-that-ever-was".............
            I do not own a set of MICRO NAVIGATOR plans but suspect that
            where BOLGER has drawn his waterline for her will be very close.He is
            an excellent calculator of weights.This of course is provided the
            builder does not go way overboard with his scantlings! Judging by how
            very successful your AS-29 came out and the wonderful job you're doing
            on your NAVIGATOR,raising the waterline by an inch would do no harm
            and will be very very close to right-on the mark.
            As to the extra weight you refer to,it may not be that much as it
            will be the net difference between the basic MICRO model.That is,the
            roof structure pretty much weighs the same for the two as do the
            interior elements like the berth flats etc...so it is just the framing
            stock for the windows and the windows themselves which are additional
            weight.Based on my own MICRO experience,which I built with only
            slightly larger scantlings and the fact that I carry around a ton of
            cruising gear,she nevertheless floats to her marks!
            Regarding her"bouyancy,stability,performance etc",I can only give
            you a subjective reply.Judging by the way she bounces around in
            powerboat wakes,while motoring,leads me to conclude that she is very
            buoyant and picks it up rapidly due to her all-out-all-square shape.No
            flared sides to"gradually"pick up buoyance here! With a bit of weight
            in the wind however,she rides steady(and predictably) over wake and
            waves feeling like a much bigger boat then she really is.Stability? In
            a word;amazing! I have yet to get her down to the rub rail and God
            knows I've been caught out in some pretty wild conditions that had me
            questioning my own sanity(not that it ever took long to arrive at a
            simple one word answer to that one ;-) ) For your own tranquilty of
            spirit,you may wish to try the following come launch day: gather up
            the launch day crowd and have them stand/sit on the edge of the boat
            once launched.See how many you can crowd onto the same side.Then,stand
            back and let yourself be baffled as you gaze at the still visible
            rub-rail clear of the water!Now ask yourself how many people do you
            normally expect to go sailing with............
            Performance wise,I am more then pleased with my MICRO,especially
            in the 15 to 20 knot wind speeds and even greater with a reef tossed
            in.She appears to handle lighter stuff well but this has always been a
            tough one for me to accurately gaudge as I sail on a river with a
            steady 1.5 to 2 knot current. The rig proposed for the NAVIGATOR is
            one with which I have no experience and thus cannot effectively
            comment on.
            All in all,the MICRO exceeded all of my expectations and provided
            me with a wonderful little platform to live out many a childhood
            dream/fantasy.To fully appreciated her,one has to use her alot,in all
            sorts of conditions/scenarios and then recall that she is just
            15'6.I know I have done some rather silly things with her and
            frightened myself stupid but I never once doubted LESTATs ability to
            take care of me and save my sorry ass.The memories will remain forever
            cherished in soul.
            I look forward to reading about your construction process and
            later on your sailing adventures with your NAVIGATOR.I hope she
            provides you with as much happiness and joy as my MICRO did/does for
            me!

            Sincerely,
            Peter Lenihan,afloat in a sea of nostalgia,from the shores of the