[bolger] boatbuilder magazine

  • Sean Rooney
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 3, 2000
      Does anyone subscribe or have comments about BoatBuilder magazine?
      It seems to be aimed at amateurs.

      http://www.boatbuildermagazine.com

      Sean Rooney
      sean@...
    • KF4call@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2000
        I enjoy it a lot. Read and re-read every issue.

        I guess about 70-80% of the articles (5-6 per issue) are on "How To" sorts of
        subjects for amateurs that address primarily building in wood, but also cover
        steel, glass, machinery and related techniques. There are articles
        describing so-and-so's latest design, a great help when it comes time to
        shell out hard earned money for a set of plans. From time to time there are
        scaled down plans accompanied by complete how to build articles, not always
        of very small boats. Often the boats represented, (and therefore the
        building techniques), are much bigger that what I suspect most of us become
        involved with, and this may be a downside for many Bolger builders.

        The remainder of articles cover design and construction more broadly,
        sometimes with topics I personally only occasionally find interesting. In
        this category are articles on design, theory and history.

        I look forward to the arrival of Boatbuilder every 2 months. I save all the
        back issues and find that topics become relevant to my projects months after
        the publication date. This year, though, I may subscribe to MAIB instead.

        If you have any more specific questions, please do not hesitate to write.
        Regards, Warren
      • Donald Hodges
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2000
          I agree, except that I would not substitute MAIB for Boatbuilder, you need
          both! I have subscribed to them all at one time or another (Sailing,
          Cruising World, Multihulls (marginally still a keeper), Woodenboat, Coastal
          Cruising) and the only ones I renew now are MAIB and Boatbuilder, although I
          usually buy Woodenboat at the stands. I think Boatbuilder has a legitimate
          niche just upscale from the vanity pieces and public-domain reprints in
          MAIB. It's the last print refuge of the few designers and suppliers trying
          to make a buck catering to the homebuilt market.

          Don Hodges
          dhodges@...
          http://www.ecoastlife.com
          Your Cyber-Vacation - Loafing on the Emerald Coast
          Small Boats, Building, Fishing, Paddling, Rowing, Sailing

          > I enjoy it a lot. Read and re-read every issue.
          >
          > I guess about 70-80% of the articles (5-6 per issue) are on "How To" sorts
          of
          > subjects for amateurs that address primarily building in wood, but also
          cover
          > steel, glass, machinery and related techniques. There are articles
          > describing so-and-so's latest design, a great help when it comes time to
          > shell out hard earned money for a set of plans. From time to time there
          are
          > scaled down plans accompanied by complete how to build articles, not
          always
          > of very small boats. Often the boats represented, (and therefore the
          > building techniques), are much bigger that what I suspect most of us
          become
          > involved with, and this may be a downside for many Bolger builders.
          >
          > The remainder of articles cover design and construction more broadly,
          > sometimes with topics I personally only occasionally find interesting. In
          > this category are articles on design, theory and history.
          >
          > I look forward to the arrival of Boatbuilder every 2 months. I save all
          the
          > back issues and find that topics become relevant to my projects months
          after
          > the publication date. This year, though, I may subscribe to MAIB instead.
          >
          > If you have any more specific questions, please do not hesitate to write.
          > Regards, Warren

          > FreeLotto.com is the only internet site to offer three free chances
          > a day to win $1,000,000.00. We've already had two $1,000,000.00
          > jackpot winners and thousands of other cash prizes. You could be
          > a $1,000,000.00 winner tonight!

          > -- http://www.egroups.com/VoiceChatPage?listName=bolger&m=1

        • Clyde S. Wisner
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 4, 2000
            I enjoy it and find it a good learning source. It doesn't come out often so
            it is always a pleasant supprise when it finds its way to the mailbox. Clyde

            Sean Rooney wrote:

            > Does anyone subscribe or have comments about BoatBuilder magazine?
            > It seems to be aimed at amateurs.
            >
            > http://www.boatbuildermagazine.com
            >
            > Sean Rooney
            > sean@...

            > FreeLotto.com is the only internet site to offer three free chances
            > a day to win $1,000,000.00. We've already had two $1,000,000.00
            > jackpot winners and thousands of other cash prizes. You could be
            > a $1,000,000.00 winner tonight!

            > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/?m=1
          • david
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 4, 2000
              I subscribe to BoatBuilder and find it useful. Although many of the boats
              discussed there are larger and more complex than those usually discussed on
              this list, the techniques and materials are often similar, and even when
              they are not, the concepts feed my fantasies. Besides, the articles be Dave
              Gerr that appear in just about every issue are worth the admission price. I
              also subscribe to WoodenBoat and to MAIB. Each of these magazines
              contributes a different perspective to the process, and is valued,
              david

            • Davthzlt@aol.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 4, 2000
                its a pretty good mag it taught me alot about lofting a article they had a
                couple of months ago D.W.Johnson