[bolger] power sharpies

  • Alex & Kim Christie
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2000
      Hi all, Alex Christie here, new to the group this past week. By way of introduction, I am an apprentice shipwright attending Silva Bay Shipyard School (www.boatschool.com) in BC, Canada. I am learning traditional wooden boatbuilding, but have a high admiration for the "Bolger box" boats (my first boat was a Skimmer).

      I have a question: Does anyone know anything about "Tennessee Jr."? Is this a shortened sister of the 29 footer? Any sources for photos on a website?

      And what is Champlain?

      I am looking for a trailerable power sharpie. Any ideas?

      Alex Christie
    • Donald Hodges
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2000
        Alex:

        I may have coined the term "Tennessee Jr." as I looked for a plan and doodled some models a couple of months ago.  The models are scanned into the archives as 'power sharpies".  I bought the Tenn plans from Bolger, but never was happy with the limited speed potential and light scantlings.  I now have plans for a 20 foot dory skiff "Sweet Caroline" from Glen-L, which I hope to build with a small cuddy cabin over the winter and equip with about 40 hp for 20-22 knots.

        Don Hodges
        dhodges@...
        http://www.ecoastlife.com
        Your Cyber-Vacation - Loafing on the Emerald Coast
        Small Boats, Building, Fishing, Paddling, Rowing, Sailing
        Hi all, Alex Christie here, new to the group this past week. By way of introduction, I am an apprentice shipwright attending Silva Bay Shipyard School (www.boatschool.com) in BC, Canada. I am learning traditional wooden boatbuilding, but have a high admiration for the "Bolger box" boats (my first boat was a Skimmer).

        I have a question: Does anyone know anything about "Tennessee Jr."? Is this a shortened sister of the 29 footer? Any sources for photos on a website?

        And what is Champlain?

        I am looking for a trailerable power sharpie. Any ideas?

        Alex Christie

        Click Here!
        eGroups.com Home: http://www.egroups.com/group/bolger
      • C. O'Donnell
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2000
          > I am looking for a trailerable power sharpie. Any ideas?
          >
          > Alex Christie

          Alex, you want to look at Jim Michalak's AF4, which is a very
          lightweight power sharpie. As Jim built it, it's minimal.

          I'm not saying it's better or worse than designs like Champlain, just
          different, and probably the cheapest way to get afloat in a power
          sharpie. Jim's web site (http://www.apci.net/~michalak) has had a few
          articles where he has discussed designing, building and testing the
          boat.
        • Donald Hodges

            > > I am looking for a trailerable power sharpie. Any ideas?
            > >
            > > Alex Christie
            >

            > Alex, you want to look at Jim Michalak's AF4, which is a very
            > lightweight power sharpie. As Jim built it, it's minimal.
            >
            > I'm not saying it's better or worse than designs like Champlain, just
            > different, and probably the cheapest way to get afloat in a power
            > sharpie. Jim's web site (http://www.apci.net/~michalak) has had a few
            > articles where he has discussed designing, building and testing the
            > boat.

            > FreeLotto.com is the only internet site to offer three free chances
            > a day to win $1,000,000.00. We've already had two $1,000,000.00
            > jackpot winners and thousands of other cash prizes. You could be
            > a $1,000,000.00 winner tonight!

            > -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/bolger/?m=1

          • Robert N. Lundy
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2000
              There is another good scan of the Champlain picture that appeared in
              Woodenboat's launchings section at http://mkstocks.tripod.com/

              The AF4 mentioned by Craig O'd is really a neat boat. Very minimal, but
              extremely cheap and easy for a pretty big boat. Jim Michalak did several
              stories from early 1997 to mid 1997 on the design and the building of it.
              Since he's started removing back issues from his website due to space
              overflow, there is an archive indexed by date and design at
              http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/breakwater/274/

              Robert & Amy Lundy
              St. Petersburg, fla.
              robert@...
              amy@...

            • Chuck Leinweber
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2000
                Craig:

                Jim Michalak has an archive of past newsletters with an alphabetical index
                as well as a chronological one. also a list of designs:
                http://marina.fortunecity.com/breakwater/274/

                Chuck Leinweber
                Duckworks Magazine
                http://www.hilconet.com/~dworksmg

              • bob@toadmail.com
                Message 7 of 7 , May 11, 2007
                  The squat boards are not needed unless you are trying to achieve true
                  planing (ie., high) speeds. Better to simply choose a hull more suited
                  to high speed in the first place. Tennessee was designed to be a low
                  speed, displacement boat.

                  Bob
                  ---